Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 15:37   #16

Re: Con Club

Anyway it's to late now, plans will be submitted, and passed. The interior is to far gone to repair, due to costs. So it's simply cheaper to demolish and build new. Shame as it was salvageable a few years ago...
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2010, 09:26   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
They should ensure that a building with such significant history should not be left in such a state. Why have such a lovely building in the town doing nothing? They should at least try to make the owners responsible for its upkeep, not just let it get trashed week in year out.
Sometimes its hard work just find out where the owners are hiding, then forcing them to take action is another issue, its not just straight forward
Old 08-04-2010, 09:33   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sometimes its hard work just find out where the owners are hiding, then forcing them to take action is another issue, its not just straight forward
When the Conservative Association decided to put it on the market, how much was it sold for?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39   #19
Give, give, give member

'The former Conservative Club has been empty for a number of years. It was latterly a nightspot known as Churchills which closed in 2003. It was up for auction four years ago for a price of £450,000.'

'...owner Iftakharul Bhatti from Nelson-based Woodgreen Developments said that the building was in such a state of disrepair that demolition was now the only option.'

'MOST of the historic Accrington Conservative Club, including its famous ballroom, will be demolished under a £13million development plan, it has been revealed.'
Accrington Conservative Club ballroom faces demolition (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When the Conservative Association decided to put it on the market, how much was it sold for?
Haven't a clue Garinda, the building actually belonged to the Union of Conservative Clubs
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
'The former Conservative Club has been empty for a number of years. It was latterly a nightspot known as Churchills which closed in 2003. It was up for auction four years ago for a price of £450,000.'

'...owner Iftikhar Bhatti from Nelson-based Woodgreen Developments said that the building was in such a state of disrepair that demolition was now the only option.'

'MOST of the historic Accrington Conservative Club, including its famous ballroom, will be demolished under a £13million development plan, it has been revealed.'
Accrington Conservative Club ballroom faces demolition (From Lancashire Telegraph)
I can't think it went for anything like £450,000 when sold originally, the reason it was sold was because it needed so much work doing on it, it was riddled with Dry Rot which would have cost, even in those days, £250k+
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29   #22

The last time I saw it up for auction was at least 2 years ago and it was for offers of £350k+.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35   #23

Quote:
I can't think it went for anything like £450,000 when sold originally, the reason it was sold was because it needed so much work doing on it, it was riddled with Dry Rot which would have cost, even in those days, £250k+

£250k though ain't a lot of money, considering the front is worth at least double that. Such a shame that monies couldn't be found earlier, the owners are laughing all the way to the bank. By the time they have recycled all the back and interior, they will have enough money to put up a cheap prefab structure in its place.
Old 08-04-2010, 13:22   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
£250k though ain't a lot of money,
O.K. mate lend us a "Monkey"
Old 08-04-2010, 15:08   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
£250k though ain't a lot of money, considering the front is worth at least double that. Such a shame that monies couldn't be found earlier, the owners are laughing all the way to the bank. By the time they have recycled all the back and interior, they will have enough money to put up a cheap prefab structure in its place.
I'm talking about the early 90s, now your talking £750K, it wasn't a viable concern at the time the only thing was to sell it
Old 08-04-2010, 15:56   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm talking about the early 90s, now your talking £750K, it wasn't a viable concern at the time the only thing was to sell it
Yes, the days when there were enough Conservatives in Hyndburn to do the Dinky One Step, and fill that vast ballroom floor, are long gone.

Old 08-04-2010, 16:59   #27

Quote:
Haven't a clue Garinda, the building actually belonged to the Union of Conservative Clubs
My step mum was Stewardess when it closed as a Conservative Club, as I remember, it went into Administration! x

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 18:16   #28
God Member

I bet the local mulims are really ****ed off now...no sooner do they get planning permission for the mosque up Higher Antley Street, then this site comes along. Just think..Saturday morning call to prayer versus St Jame's Wedding Bell ringing. Who could make the most noise?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 22:04   #29
Junior Member+

Thanks for linking to my site at www.theviewfromthenorth.org.

If the owners had actually got round to securing and maintaining the building, e.g. replacing the large window which had mysteriously fallen in on the top floor, then who knows, it might not have got into such a sorry state. But there again the ownership of this place seemed to be in question last year, as was the church over the road. I was meant to be legitamately visiting the church with the permission of the supposed owners, but it turns out they didn't actually own it.
But that's another story.............

Acquiring a listed building and letting it rot until it's beyond economic repair (especially with the ridiculous demands placed on the restoration of listed buildings by English Heritage) is a tried and tested way of over-riding planning rules. However, it is more above board than finding that arsonists have burnt the place down, which is just as effective.
Andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 09:56   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yes, the days when there were enough Conservatives in Hyndburn to do the Dinky One Step, and fill that vast ballroom floor, are long gone.

The Con in its hey day was used by all the community, Saturday and Monday nights in the sixties was choker block, its one problem was all those bloody stares

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..