Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2004, 15:38   #1
Senior Member+

A rainy day in the town centre.

Hi, this is for all you Accywebbers who live far away. This was taken today and shows what it looks like in front of Market Hall/Town Hall area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rainydaysept2004.JPG (93.5 KB, 156 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2004, 15:46   #2
mez
God Member

Re: A rainy day in the town centre.

lovely photo atarah, but doesnt, show the true picture of shops shut litter & the rest sorry to disolussion all the people who live away.
Old 21-09-2004, 15:55   #3

Well, I have to say, that part of the town does look clear of litter and well cared for. In the rain, is probably how most of us exiles remember it Atarah, so, good thinking to take your photograph on a wet day. I used to love the market as a kid. It has a smell all of its own. If I was taken there blindfolded, being told I could be in any part of the world, I would know exactly where I was. It's amazing how our sense of smell can conjour up memories. My mother worked in there on the Lomax cooked meats stall and I used to go to see her before and after going to the Odeon for the Saturday morning kids' picture show. Greeting everybody with a smile! Happy, happy days.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 15:59   #4
mez
God Member

o i for got to mention, ive found out that dougs stall is to be // ladies fashions, sorry wrong thread but cant find the other
Old 21-09-2004, 16:41   #5
Resident Waffler

What's that car doing there? It's supposed to be a buses only bit.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 16:43   #6
God Member

It's Atarah's...she parked up while she went to take the piccy!!!!!!!!!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 20:26   #7
Senior Member+

Sheer curiosity.... do they still have half day closing on wednesday?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2004, 20:31   #8
Resident Waffler

Not many do. It's nothing like it used to be when the whole town closed on Wednesday afternoons.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 05:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Well, I have to say, that part of the town does look clear of litter and well cared for. In the rain, is probably how most of us exiles remember it Atarah, so, good thinking to take your photograph on a wet day. I used to love the market as a kid. It has a smell all of its own. If I was taken there blindfolded, being told I could be in any part of the world, I would know exactly where I was. It's amazing how our sense of smell can conjour up memories. My mother worked in there on the Lomax cooked meats stall and I used to go to see her before and after going to the Odeon for the Saturday morning kids' picture show. Greeting everybody with a smile! Happy, happy days.
JohnW,

You must have known Sandra Lomax then? I saw her about 3 years ago in ASDA, she still looks the same, but didn't recognise me.

I spoke to her son last time I was over, he still works for his Grandad in Lomax's Cafe opposite the stall.

Lomax's...best boiled ham money could buy!! The old man still works on the stall!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 07:20   #10
Senior Member+

A rainy day in the town centre.

This is for John W - a piccy of Lomax's stall (taken 2001)and a view of the Regal, which of course became the Odeon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acc - Market Hall, Mr ........ 2001.JPG (70.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Regalcinema.jpg (21.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 22-09-2004 at 07:39.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 08:21   #11

Aye ...that's 'im Mr. Lomax.....Once again Atarah...spot on!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 10:47   #12

Hi Atarah,

Thank you very much, actually you sent me the photograph of Jack about 18 months ago and I still have it on the hard drive.

Hi Darby,

Yes I know Sandra. As a matter of fact, her mother and my mother were best friends. I went to school with Sandra and have 'loosely' kept in touch over the years although I haven't seen her since I moved over to America seven years ago. Jack Lomax is quite amazing, he is in his eighties and doesn't look a day older than I do. In the days of Saturday morning pictures and when my mother worked on his stall, on a Saturday afternoon he would go out in his little green van (named the boneshaker) and deliver packed sandwiches to lots of the pubs in the area. Very often, he would take me with him and I always looked forward to that. He really is a great guy. Sandra must be one of the most attractive ladies ever to come out of Bash and the last time I saw her she was still a 'looker' even in her fifties.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 12:10   #13
Resting in peace

Lovely picture - Accy in the rain still looks good, better than a lot of places in sunlight.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 15:28   #14

I love the picture of Accrington in the rain. But it reminds me of why I left - loved the people, couldn't stand the weather! But having said that, it is very nostalgic. It doesn't look that different from the way I remembered it, except that the road was open to traffic in those days. You had to look both ways before crossing over to Woolworths or Redmans grocers on the opposite corner.

As for the parked car - when I was last up there (which was quite a while ago, I admit) I seem to remember there was a disabled parking space around that area?

I too remember Saturday morning cinema club - shades of Johnny Mac Brown (in a white hat, of course) being chased by a gang of villains on horseback (in black hats, of course). Captain Marvel? Laurel and Hardy... the list is endless. And, Oh-h-h! Flash Gordon? The more recent version is not a patch on Larry "Buster" Crabbe in his tights and boots. He was my pin-up. I wonder what he he thought of having hordes of schoolgirls going misty eyed over his (dyed) blond locks?
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 23:23   #15

Lovley, photo, I spent a lot of time at that end of town and to look at that photo it has'nt changed a bit. Do they still sell oatmeal rolls in the market hall, you know the flat ones, mum would bring them home on Sat afternoon, we would have them smuthered with best butter and jam. Also, what about Yorkshire duck, black peas, treacle tart, Cumberland sausage, pigs trotters, thick pea soup.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..