Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 11:53   #1
dam

old Burnley Road reservoir site.

Has anybody got any pictures of the old reservoir!
dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2011, 13:09   #2
dam

Re: old Burnley Road reservoir site.

This is the res but has anybody got a picture taken from burnley rd.

Old 12-02-2011, 19:16   #3
Senior Member+

You could only see the bank from the road, no-way could you see the reservoir so a photo wouldn't show much.
My father ran the filter station,pumps and looked after the two reservoirs for some years. The bulk of the water, pumped into the top one to settle, came from the Huncoat pit which may have still been open and needed draining. The water was absolutely FULL of black bits, not coal dust, more like bacteria growths-it didn't look drinkeable. After settling in the top one it ran down a long spillway to the bottom one then was pumped up to the filter plants..It looked OK after that. I used to go up there to sunbathe in the school holidays, very private and quiet.
I don't think I have any photos from there but I'll have a look. Whats caught your interest?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 08:24   #4
dam

Thanks for the info. I am interested in in old photos of accrington and how accrington used be. I live in one of the houses which have been built where the reservoir used to be. I think the small reservoir is still there but covered up now.

Can you tell me where huncoat pit used to be .
Old 15-02-2011, 22:00   #5
Resting in Peace

This is one of my favourite photos, Dam ... taken at Hillock Vale, can see the rise of the banking of the reservoir. Seemingly, one of my ancesters owned quite a lot of the houses there.

I love all the children in their smart outfits.
Have to do the link again ...copyright.

http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov....61&r=2&t=4&x=1
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 22:21   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
This is one of my favourite photos, Dam ... taken at Hillock Vale, can see the rise of the banking of the reservoir. Seemingly, one of my ancesters owned quite a lot of the houses there.

I love all the children in their smart outfits.
Have to do the link again ...copyright.

http://lanternimages.lancashire.gov....61&r=2&t=4&x=1
agree yeh look very smart kate.
Old 15-02-2011, 22:29   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
agree yeh look very smart kate.
Har, har .......
Old 15-02-2011, 23:00   #8
God Member

They may look very smart, but notice how all the lads have got their hands in their pockets, pretending to be little hard buggars. Nowt's changed, then.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 23:25   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
They may look very smart, but notice how all the lads have got their hands in their pockets, pretending to be little hard buggars. Nowt's changed, then.
Is that what they are doing then ? Always thought they were fiddling with their bits...
Old 16-02-2011, 07:58   #10
dam

Great picture... was the cotton mill behind the cottages!
Old 16-02-2011, 11:03   #11
Senior Member+

[quote=katex;883917]This is one of my favourite photos, Dam ... taken at Hillock Vale, can see the rise of the banking of the reservoir.

Katex, I don't remember those buildings in the 40's/50's.Long gone?
I was astonished to read Dam say the reservoir has gone and there are houses there! Did they fill it in or take all the banking away? When did that happen and I wonder why, it was Accringtons main water supply.Was it unsafe?

Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 13:29   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Think it was in the 80s when they built those houses Gordon, don't remember owt else.
Old 16-02-2011, 14:48   #13
I am Banned

Did they fill it in or take all the banking away? When did that happen and I wonder why, it was Accringtons main water supply.Was it unsafe?

[/quote]
Burnley Rd reservoir was just one of many, that the Water Board decided were no longer required.
Accrington's water supplies mainly come from Dean Clough & Mitchells.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 19:14   #14
Senior Member+

I love the photo taken up Huncoat, showing all the kids, but what bugs me is the fact anybody can plonk a "copyright" onto a photo and it scares folk off.
The photo was probably donated in the first place, so why should it suddenly become the copyright of "whoever". I have given loads of photos to a local library, but I would be well annoyed if "copyright" appeared on them, because I would KNOW they were mine!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 19:53   #15

I wouldn't worry, don't think they'll be rushing to court, all council photos should be available to everyone
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..