Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2012, 20:34   #2401
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I like the resin picture....lovely colour.
Its something you don't see every day, and as you say, nice colour.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-09-2012, 20:42   #2402
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Its still at the sticky stage, It has to rest for about 3000 years, so have made a note in my diary to re-check then.
So I might get my piece of amber then?

A few years ago Richard and I were at Sidmouth folk festival and sat down on a large tree stump to eat our lunch. We ended up sticking to everything else for the rest of the day and the resin never did wash out of my trousers properly.
Old 16-09-2012, 00:20   #2403
Senior Member+

Whilst I was in Brighton I stopped at a cafe on the beach. I bought a cheese&bacon toastie and a cappuccino. I was carrying my tray and the biggest bee I have ever seen was hovering over my tray. Me & Bees are not friends. I tried to get away and it was having none of it. I jerked a little and my cappuccino went everywhere. Everbody at the cafe went about their day and the staff didn't speak English; I never got a replacement. I dumped my tray and took my plate onto the beach and sat down.

The pebbles seemed to be grinning at me and my misfortune. Hmm. I placed my plate on the pebbles and with cheese and ham toastie part in hand and part in mouth; I glanced again at the pebbles. They certainly was be grinning at me (check the pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 253486_10151002632792093_2073862098_n.jpg (127.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 16-09-2012, 07:54   #2404
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Its still at the sticky stage, It has to rest for about 3000 years, so have made a note in my diary to re-check then.
Enough there to make a full set, Necklace, earings and a matching bracelet!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 08:21   #2405
God Member

A selection from a walk round Stonyhurst, and then along the river -great round trip last April -the last three are a few shots taken in August of the year before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stonyhurst College observatory.jpg (21.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg View back to Stonyhurst .jpg (24.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg View to Pendle.jpg (36.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Rennovated farm.jpg (23.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Hacking Hall.jpg (24.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fishing on the Hodder.jpg (43.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg View to Hodder Bridge.jpg (44.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Bridge over Hodder.JPG (41.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Pendle Hill.JPG (37.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Cows at pasture 3.JPG (33.7 KB, 7 views)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-09-2012, 08:33   #2406
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Enough there to make a full set, Necklace, earings and a matching bracelet!
when I took the photo the resin had the consistency of a half sucked wine gum, and was still being exuded, you couldn't wear it like this, as the flies would stick to it.

Looks like a nice day around the college.
Old 16-09-2012, 08:35   #2407
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Whilst I was in Brighton I stopped at a cafe on the beach. I bought a cheese&bacon toastie and a cappuccino. I was carrying my tray and the biggest bee I have ever seen was hovering over my tray. Me & Bees are not friends. I tried to get away and it was having none of it. I jerked a little and my cappuccino went everywhere. Everbody at the cafe went about their day and the staff didn't speak English; I never got a replacement. I dumped my tray and took my plate onto the beach and sat down.

The pebbles seemed to be grinning at me and my misfortune. Hmm. I placed my plate on the pebbles and with cheese and ham toastie part in hand and part in mouth; I glanced again at the pebbles. They certainly was be grinning at me (check the pic)
Did you offer them some of the toastie?
Old 16-09-2012, 08:50   #2408
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
A selection from a walk round Stonyhurst, and then along the river -great round trip last April -the last three are a few shots taken in August of the year before.
The Tolkien walk apparently.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 09:20   #2409
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post

Rob that would be funny if it weren't so tragic... Didn't have you down as a cappuccino sort of guy - perhaps the pebbles didn't either!
Old 16-09-2012, 09:42   #2410
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The Three Fishes - Edisford Bridge to Great Mitton Walk

Or you could try the one in Birmingham...
Sites that shaped Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' - Telegraph
http://www.birminghampost.net/life-l...5233-29912189/

It's quite an industry these days. When I lived in Warwick and worked for the literary festival there we milked a fairly vague connection (he was married in the town) for a Tolkien Day.

Kortirion among the Trees: the Influence of Warwick on JRR Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth, an essay - The Tolkien Society
Long article but Di might find it interesting if she likes Tolkien - which I don't
Old 16-09-2012, 09:56   #2411
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Didn't know that, thanks-it's a really good walk -especially on a day like the one we had in April - sunny but not too hot. Stopped for a nice lunch half-way at The Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green too! Tea later in Mitton at the Three Fishes like to visit my favourite old haunts when i'm over and you have to keep your strength up for walking!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-09-2012, 09:58   #2412
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Trying to find the JRR Tolkien trail around Birmingham - Post Features - Life & Leisure - Birmingham Post

It's quite an industry these days. When I lived in Warwick and worked for the literary festival there we milked a fairly vague connection (he was married in the town) for a Tolkien Day.

Kortirion among the Trees: the Influence of Warwick on JRR Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth, an essay - The Tolkien Society
Long article but Di might find it interesting if she likes Tolkien - which I don't
He used to visit Stonyhurst , and from there he would walk down to the river. Its walk have done for years, but as a walk its got more popular with the Tolkien connection.

As for middle earth, that could be anywhere really, Tolkien travelled a lot. It may only have existed of course in Tolkiens mind.
Old 16-09-2012, 10:01   #2413
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

Trying to find the JRR Tolkien trail around Birmingham - Post Features - Life & Leisure - Birmingham Post

I do like Tolkein - not always easy reading but an incredibly fertile mind.

Didn't realise the old bridge was called Cromwell's bridge, sat on it once for a picnic with my friend Jacqui when we were walking over to Stonyhurst from Gt Harwood (Edge End) to see our boyfriends!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 16-09-2012, 10:10   #2414
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=mobertol;1016406]Didn't know that, thanks-it's a really good walk -especially on a day like the one we had in April - sunny but not too hot. Stopped for a nice lunch half-way at The Shireburn Arms in Hurst Green too! Tea later in Mitton at the Three Fishes like to visit my favourite old haunts when i'm over and you have to keep your strength up for walking![/QUOTE

That's my sort of walking, two pubs. Well it used to be, not so much now.
Old 16-09-2012, 12:25   #2415
Senior Member+

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

1) Information board outside the cave
2) St.Ninians cave
3) St Ninians cave
4) The Temple in Cally Woods
5) The Temple in Cally Woods
6) Entrance to a cottage in Cally Palace Grounds
7) Helicopters on the lawn at the front of Cally Palace. Anyone for 18 holes?
8) Port Patrick
9) Port Patrick
10) Daddy to all the calves in the field at the rear of holidsay cottage
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..