Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2013, 08:48   #4681
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Why does every body call it Platts Lodge, that lodge was there long before Platts were even heard of, it was used by all the mills on the factory bottom. Bulloughs was connected to it at on time for fire fighting purposes. Woodnook water bypassed the lodge via that big steel pipe a lot of people have been on about up Priestly Clough, it was installed because the effluent from the mills up Baxenden were contaminating the boilers of the mills on Victoria Street, (Factory Bottom). Those red painted steel piles were for the Railway to Bury built circa 1850.
Its the name that is officially used on maps etc, there is even an information post in the corner giving information about the area describing the lodge and its use, and it is described as Platts Lodge. I don't know of any other name that is given to this body of water. Woodnook water passes this point in a man made channel it even has cobbles as its base, and a channel has been made from Woodnook water to the lodge with the sluice gate as a control for water levels.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-08-2013, 10:05   #4682
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Thanks for the input Russell and Dave. We thought they might be something to do with Blackpool. Richard said that the wing shape of the Spitfire and Hurricane looked very similar.
The wing plan form is quite different. The easy way to distinguish them is the humpback on the Hurricane.
Old 17-08-2013, 21:41   #4683
Senior Member+

Today in Pictures. A day when it was difficult to keep your powder dry, thought I would check out the mosaics that Cashman mentioned some time ago as I hadn't seen them.

1. Hameldon Hill in the distance.
2. A walk around the rose garden first, the weather has not helped the roses.
3.4.5.6. The mosaics, a lot of detail when you study them. I don't know who, or why but a good effort.
7.Hameldon Hill again.
8. Last look at the "Haworth" time to head home as it is about to precipitate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1023.JPG (489.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1028.jpg (90.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1031.JPG (479.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1034.JPG (462.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1035.JPG (485.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1040.JPG (374.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1045.JPG (433.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1049.JPG (477.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 17-08-2013, 22:17   #4684
I am Banned

[QUOTE=davemac;1071821]Today in Pictures. A day when it was difficult to keep your powder dry, thought I would check out the mosaics that Cashman mentioned some time ago as I hadn't seen them.
roses.
3.4.5.6. The mosaics, a lot of detail when you study them. I don't know who, or why but a good effort.
[QUOTE]
Those mosaics were done by by local, schools for the display at the Haworth Art Gallery, that William Turner & I did for July 1st 2006, the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, in which so many of our local Heroes fought and died that day, not just Accrington Pals, but dozens of local men in other regiments also fell on that day.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 22:33   #4685
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Its the name that is officially used on maps etc, there is even an information post in the corner giving information about the area describing the lodge and its use, and it is described as Platts Lodge. I don't know of any other name that is given to this body of water. Woodnook water passes this point in a man made channel it even has cobbles as its base, and a channel has been made from Woodnook water to the lodge with the sluice gate as a control for water levels.
Before HBC took over that building at the bottom of Ormerod St, which the upper floor became Bullough's Drawing office, it was refered to as Bullough's Lodge, but Bullough's didn't own it. The fact that some clown from the clown hall, has put an information board up with the name Platts Lodge on it, doesn't make it Platts Lodge. Platts had nowt do do with that body of water, we didn't even use any of that water when Bullough's had the big fire in the drawing office in Fountain St.
Old 18-08-2013, 09:18   #4686
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Retlaw;1071823][QUOTE=davemac;1071821]Today in Pictures. A day when it was difficult to keep your powder dry, thought I would check out the mosaics that Cashman mentioned some time ago as I hadn't seen them.
roses.
Quote:
Those mosaics were done by by local, schools for the display at the Haworth Art Gallery, that William Turner & I did for July 1st 2006, the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme, in which so many of our local Heroes fought and died that day, not just Accrington Pals, but dozens of local men in other regiments also fell on that day.
the quality of the mosaics is very good if it is done by local children, and I hope they don't get vandalised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Before HBC took over that building at the bottom of Ormerod St, which the upper floor became Bullough's Drawing office, it was refered to as Bullough's Lodge, but Bullough's didn't own it. The fact that some clown from the clown hall, has put an information board up with the name Platts Lodge on it, doesn't make it Platts Lodge. Platts had nowt do do with that body of water, we didn't even use any of that water when Bullough's had the big fire in the drawing office in Fountain St.
Now that you mention it I do vaguely remember it called Bulloughs Lodge, although it was at that time not easily walked around. The new path through gives access to everyone, and I suppose the relaunching of the lodge gave rise to the new name, the same happened with Scaitcliffe House, I remember visiting there when it was full of weaving looms.
Old 18-08-2013, 16:46   #4687
Senior Member+

When it was Bulloughs Lodge, we lived on the factory bottom opposite Higham's loading bay. My uncle was boilerman at Giron Frere's the velvet factory and you could get to the lodge through their gates.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:46   #4688
Senior Member+

I had a ride up to Stoodley near Mankinholes nr Todmorden today.
All the photos are from where I lived as a child.

No. 1 The little lane we had to walk up from the Springside bus stop, over half a mile, it is still just about passable with a car today but I came in from the other side.

NO.2 Coming down to Stoodley from Mankinholes side, really the best way in anything but a 4X4 car.
No. 3 Part of my playground.
No. 4 Stoodley pike.
No. 5 There is a well in that building, I used to play cowboys and indians around it with the farmers son,the only other child up there.
No.6 Inside the walls of the well.
No.7 The better way out of Stoodley, where I took the big Pike photo from.
No.8 Views across to Cross Stone Church from the path to my old house.
No.9 Views slightly right of No. 8, that's about two miles away.
No. 10 Our back windows, there is only one more house after it and then it's a wall and a drop down to the old road we had to walk up.

It was really good wandering about the old place. There are still descendants of one family who lived there. There are only about five families in the area and I met one chap there and after talking for a while it turned out he worked for my brother and had heard him mention me. Small world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4370-1.jpg (592.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (2).jpg (592.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (9).jpg (564.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (5).jpg (318.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (10).jpg (563.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (11).jpg (576.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (1).jpg (472.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (8).jpg (292.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Stoodley (4).jpg (464.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4344-1.jpg (570.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 18-08-2013, 18:55   #4689
Senior Member+

A nice walk around the canal, through Tottleworth then back past Rishton waterfalls.
1. That`s as close as I`m getting.
2. Sneaky girl.
3. It was forecast rain today, not looking like it though.
4. A family of swans
5. Synchronised doggie diving.
6 & 7. Playtime in the woods.
8, 9 & 10. Down by the waterfalls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0214.jpg (500.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0220.jpg (531.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0223.jpg (518.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0226.jpg (561.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0231.jpg (546.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0234.jpg (598.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0235.jpg (599.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0239.jpg (562.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0240.jpg (587.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0244.jpg (586.3 KB, 16 views)
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:55   #4690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had a ride up to Stoodley near Mankinholes nr Todmorden today.
All the photos are from where I lived as a child.

No. 1 The little lane we had to walk up from the Springside bus stop, over half a mile, it is still just about passable with a car today but I came in from the other side.

NO.2 Coming down to Stoodley from Mankinholes side, really the best way in anything but a 4X4 car.
No. 3 Part of my playground.
No. 4 Stoodley pike.
No. 5 There is a well in that building, I used to play cowboys and indians around it with the farmers son,the only other child up there.
No.6 Inside the walls of the well.
No.7 The better way out of Stoodley, where I took the big Pike photo from.
No.8 Views across to Cross Stone Church from the path to my old house.
No.9 Views slightly right of No. 8, that's about two miles away.
No. 10 Our back windows, there is only one more house after it and then it's a wall and a drop down to the old road we had to walk up.

It was really good wandering about the old place. There are still descendants of one family who lived there. There are only about five families in the area and I met one chap there and after talking for a while it turned out he worked for my brother and had heard him mention me. Small world.
What a lovely place. I'm happy for you to be able to visit such magical childhood haunts!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 20:59   #4691

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
A nice walk around the canal, through Tottleworth then back past Rishton waterfalls.
1. That`s as close as I`m getting.
2. Sneaky girl.
3. It was forecast rain today, not looking like it though.
4. A family of swans
5. Synchronised doggie diving.
6 & 7. Playtime in the woods.
8, 9 & 10. Down by the waterfalls.
Great doggie action shots! Nice bee close up too.
Old 18-08-2013, 22:36   #4692
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Great doggie action shots! Nice bee close up too.
Thankyou turtle, No.2 is my favourite pic I`ve took of them yet. Sums her up perfectly.
I thought No.1 was a wasp, so didn`t want to get too close, is it really a bee?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 12:02   #4693

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Thankyou turtle, No.2 is my favourite pic I`ve took of them yet. Sums her up perfectly.
I thought No.1 was a wasp, so didn`t want to get too close, is it really a bee?
Not sure, but I think it's a bee. Just took a closer look myself and her leg has a yellow sack of pollen. Could be wrong, but I don't think wasps go after pollen, but mainly nectar and rotten fruit and such.
mobertol and gpick24 like this.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:32   #4694
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yer took a cracker of a pic of the dogs.
gpick24 likes this.
Old 19-08-2013, 14:26   #4695
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Now that you mention it I do vaguely remember it called Bulloughs Lodge, although it was at that time not easily walked around. The new path through gives access to everyone, and I suppose the relaunching of the lodge gave rise to the new name, the same happened with Scaitcliffe House, I remember visiting there when it was full of weaving looms.
Just spent an hour in the library searching thro old records & maps of the area around Victoria Street & Ormerod St, the first Mill was Scaitcliffe Mill at the bottom of Ormerod St, they built the lodge & the sluices and run offs for their mill, this was before the Railway was built to take the line to Bury, and long before any of the other mills were built on Victoria St. So its Scaitcliffe Mill Lodge, NOT Platts or Bulloughs.
maxthecollie and davemac like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..