Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26116Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2015, 03:03   #11041
God Member

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post

A few from Crown Point today
Like number 10 ... reminds me of the Prairies in Saskatchewan ... God's country. All that's missing are the tumbleweeds along the fence line.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2015, 06:17   #11042
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It's your pic, but I don't think that "drab brown" is a fair description.
Perhaps it isn't Eric...I am sure tha this moth looks stunning to another brown moth...especially at this time of year when all things seem to be busting out.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 07:47   #11043
Full Member+

Sunday 26th April.
A beautiful sunny day and an opportunity to take part in a unique walking event, The Welly Walk.
The event was held to raise money for St. John's Hospice in Morecambe and offered over 1000 people the opportunity to walk the 4km route of the, under construction, M6 to Heysham link road.
I did take my wellies but they were not needed as most of the ground was firm and dry

I have viewed the site from the outside on numerous occasions and the opportunity to walk the route could not be passed up. Starting from the car park of Lancaster & Morecambe College, this big headed builder was entertaining the children and some of the adults, while we waited our turn to set off.

These are the support pillars which will eventually support the bridge over Torrisholme Road.

This construction is the bridge over the West Coast Main Line and the area where I am standing will eventually be in-filled to the height of the structure, forming a high banking.

This is the previous construction viewed from the side and the train came along at just the right moment. We were informed that 40,000 tonnes of concrete had been poured into it so far.

This arched bridge, over the canal, is the longest spanned, pre-cast arch bridge in the world. and will form part of a winged wall when finished. It is also the shortest tunnel on the Lancaster Canal

This is the cutting under Kellet Lane, which is a back road into Lancaster from the North. This impressive cutting has meant removing millions of tonnes of earth and transporting it further down the construction site.

This is the crane which will lift the bridge sections for the new crossing of the River Lune.

This is the site of Costain's nerve centre, by the side of but high above the River Lune and the end of the official walk.
The rusty beam in the foreground is one of the bridge sections already in place.
The arched bridge in the centre will have been crossed by many of you but you just wouldn't realise it. It carries the M6 over the River Lune, next to junction 34.
In the background is Caton Moor Wind Farm which is one of my favourite local walks.
The walk was very enjoyable and ended with a cup of tea and a chocolate chip muffin. As it was such a lovely day I declined the opportunity to go back to the college by bus and chose instead to walk back and make it a 7 mile walk.

The canal wildlife were building nests.

While others were messing about in boats.
shillelagh, Eric, mobertol and 9 others like this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell

Last edited by Morecambe Ex Pat; 27-04-2015 at 07:54.
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:09   #11044

A mixed bag from the past couple of weeks - photos on the run

Miss Pris 'meets' her first squirrel, from the safety of her living room. Squirrel is not amused.

A quick drive in the country - no green to speak of yet!

A visit to a weaving and spinning guild open house, complete with Aunty and adorable lambs. The lambs were only there for a couple of hours, so as not to stress them too much, as well as their mothers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miss P meets Squirrel.jpg (91.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg You will never get me.jpg (486.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Spring drive 1.jpg (77.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg No Leaves Yet.jpg (176.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg old barn.jpg (95.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Aunty and lambs.jpg (132.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Wheres Mum.jpg (130.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Spinning demo.jpg (83.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Miniature Handlooms.jpg (496.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Triangular shawl.jpg (459.5 KB, 13 views)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 13:55   #11045
God Member

Nice varied selection from everyone - I have enjoyed having a catch-up session on the thread. Just back from a weekend break on Lake Garda - time to have a sort through the zillions of photos I took - hopefully manage to post some very soon!
Turtle likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 14:11   #11046
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post

Miss Pris 'meets' her first squirrel, from the safety of her living room. Squirrel is not amused.
My Pookie does that all the time ... I like to think of it as her TV. She has two favorite shows: "Squirrels" and "Birds". She definitely can not go out. She has no street smarts.
Old 27-04-2015, 14:25   #11047
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Perhaps it isn't Eric...I am sure tha this moth looks stunning to another brown moth...especially at this time of year when all things seem to be busting out.
It's just a personal preference for the subtle, muted, and understated over sharp, bright well-defined patterns. Maybe that's why I love watching old "black and white" movies, which are not really black and white. I just hate it when some clown "colorizes" an old movie. Kind of a "Home Thoughts from Abroad" thing.
Old 27-04-2015, 15:58   #11048
Beacon of light

Quote:
It's just a personal preference for the subtle, muted, and understated over sharp, bright well-defined patterns. Maybe that's why I love watching old "black and white" movies, which are not really black and white. I just hate it when some clown "colorizes" an old movie. Kind of a "Home Thoughts from Abroad" thing.
Yes well, being a bit of a Magpie....I like coloured and sparkly things.....though I do like some things in black and white.
Old 27-04-2015, 19:48   #11049
Senior Member+

Quote:

A visit to a weaving and spinning guild open house, complete with Aunty and adorable lambs. The lambs were only there for a couple of hours, so as not to stress them too much, as well as their mothers.
That squirrel looks black in colour, not a colour found around these parts.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 19:57   #11050

Miss P isn't allowed out for much the same reason. That, plus my fear that the coyotes will make a meal of her. Still, it's natural for cats to stalk prey, so the window TV is the best solution
Old 27-04-2015, 19:57   #11051

Sorry, that last post was for Eric. Forgot to press the darned button again!
Old 27-04-2015, 20:01   #11052

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
That squirrel looks black in colour, not a colour found around these parts.
The black squirrels are so plentiful here in Southern Ontario that I took it for granted they were everywhere. Not so, Wikipedia tells me! Apparently they're a 'melanistic subgroup' of the regular grey and fox squirrels. I have seen them intermingling and canoodling, if you catch my drift, and they can have mixed litters of pups (kits?)
mobertol and davemac like this.
Old 27-04-2015, 20:41   #11053
Beacon of light

Quote:

Lovely Pictures...full of the awwww factor...well for me at any rate.
I used to have one of those little wooden looms when I was but a girl.
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-04-2015, 18:36   #11054
God Member

It's 12c Outdoor beer drinking season begins A thing of beauty is a joy forever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (411.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-04-2015, 19:10   #11055
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
It's 12c Outdoor beer drinking season begins
You've even got it in an old hand grenade pot!
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..