Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 22:41   #1
God Member

Sleep problems??

Well I have been having problems with sleep this past week or so.

Tuesday night, went to bed at 00:00.....sleep finally came at 02:30am then up for work at 6:30am.

Wednesday thought " oh well 12 hour shift after such little sleep I will be ok I will sleep like a baby tonight".....hmmm BED 11pm......sleep 02:30am up for work at 6:30am.

Thursday knackard at work all day.....could have slept on a washing line. 12 hour shift ended. Relaxed at home and thought, stay up until the absolute last minute before sleep takes over. Went to bed at 1:30am ish......looked at clock at 2am, 2:30am, 3am finally felt sleepy at 3:30am......up for work this morning at 6:30am.

It's not the sleep that is the problem, it's the actually being able to fall asleep. it's as if my mind has gone into over drive and will NOT shut down. When I have finally fallen asleep I stay asleep.
Talking to a lady at work today, and she had the same thing a couple of years back. She took SYNDOL. Now this is actually a HEADACHE remedy, but it contains a relaxent. I bought some from the chemist ( DESPERATE NOW) but I don't want to have to take these just to induce sleep.

Anyone any other ideas??

Sensible ones please.....I'm too tired to read through loads of inuendo's. ( you know who you are)

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2006, 23:09   #2
Accy Goddess

Re: Sleep problems??

Have you tried a milky drink and sprinkling lavender oil on your pillow? Or a relaxing Lavender bath.
Avoid alcohol this can keep you awake. If all else fails get a job on nights and just don't do mornings. lol
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 23:09   #3
God Member

I got a list of the doc - hot milky drink, dont drink any drinks containing caffeine after 6pm, turn the tv/computer off by 11pm and read a book but not a thriller (gets the brain racing!). But the killer was - do not use your bed for anything else but sleeping in - no reading a book, watching tv, eating etc.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 23:14   #4
God Member

My problem is not the dropping off bit, it's the middle of the night that I have problems. If I wake up (or am woken up by one of the children) I can't get back to sleep for hours. The other night Zack woke me up at about 3ish and I was just dropping off again at about 5ish when Maddie woke up - I knew at that point there was no way I was going to get any more sleep.

I think my body thinks it's had some sleep so it's had enough sleep!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 23:17   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
Have you tried a milky drink and sprinkling lavender oil on your pillow? Or a relaxing Lavender bath.
Avoid alcohol this can keep you awake. If all else fails get a job on nights and just don't do mornings. lol
HMM milky drink fine!!!

Lavender would kill GINGER as he is alergic and can't breath..... so out rules lavender in the house.

Worked nights for 4 years but with 2 small children in the house....nigh impossible to do.

Miracles do happen!!

Old 03-11-2006, 23:18   #6
God Member

Stranegly enough one of the ones that works for me ( sometimes) is to take a deep breathe, hold it for a couple of seconds and then breathe out slowly. It's supposed to slow the brain down and you concentrate so hard it stops you thinking about everything else.
Old 03-11-2006, 23:21   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
I got a list of the doc - hot milky drink, dont drink any drinks containing caffeine after 6pm, turn the tv/computer off by 11pm and read a book but not a thriller (gets the brain racing!). But the killer was - do not use your bed for anything else but sleeping in - no reading a book, watching tv, eating etc.
All this does make sense Jen. I was telling Tinks in chat. Last night I fought it to the death before I went to bed. Feeling sleepy I got into bed. Ginger had just finished work and needed to wind down. He put the T.V on and it was that quiz show on ITV. The theme was FIRE------- and you fill in the blanks. 10 minutes later Ginger turned the T.V off and I was filling in the blanks til 3:30am..................

Miracles do happen!!

Old 03-11-2006, 23:23   #8
God Member

doing a Sukodu puzzle works for me , I keep a book of them on the nightstand and it tends to help slowdown/clear my brain out and helps me drop off
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 23:25   #9
God Member

Reading sometimes makes me sleepy.....but if it's a good book like I am reading at the moment ( martina cole - maura's game) I find myself saying " oh just one more chapter.......just one more chapter.......just one more.....)

Miracles do happen!!

Old 03-11-2006, 23:26   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Stranegly enough one of the ones that works for me ( sometimes) is to take a deep breathe, hold it for a couple of seconds and then breathe out slowly. It's supposed to slow the brain down and you concentrate so hard it stops you thinking about everything else.
Never tried that!!! but I will try anything I need sleep!!!!!

Miracles do happen!!

Old 03-11-2006, 23:55   #11
God Member

Another one is to exercise BEFORE you go to bed.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:10   #12

I had a great tip a few week ago. Try counting down from 100 saying sleep in between but of course u have to be relaxed before hand.
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41   #13
God Member

have you tried the nytol herbal? I sometimes find a nice hot bath a couple of these and a nice cup of horlicks or hot choc does the trick nicely slinky ... good luck hun
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:32   #14
Len
God Member

How about, don’t have a heavy debate on accyweb before you go to bed because it will only leave you thinking and not sleeping.

Just a thought.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:35   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Slinky, try reading this, when I tried to read it I kept falling asleep.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..