Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2009, 20:33   #1
God Member

Angry Children on facebook

my niece has just told me she has a friend who has set up an account on facebook...she is TEN years old, this is illegal, you have to be 12 (i think) to be able to open an account....the childs mum has obviously opened the account for her, i have also noticed some younger kids on facebook recently too, i think this is bang out of order...what the hell are the parents thinking?

if you are found out the account will be deleted and so can the persons who is responsible for setting it up, they have obviously given false dates of birth...

if i see any i will be reporting them, i think its disgusting

talk about irresponsible parenting, this really maddens me
Old 19-04-2009, 20:37   #2
God Member

Re: Children on facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
the childs mum has obviously opened the account for her

talk about irresponsible parenting, this really maddens me
Who says it's got anything to do with the parents?

I'm sure the kids are more than able to enter false dates of birth for themselves?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 20:44   #3
God Member

i saw a child on it earlier who i know for a fact is 7 years old..i very much doubt the child did it herself Shaker
Old 19-04-2009, 20:44   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Just like any other web activity your children do you have to monitor them.

Why do you see it as a problem
Old 19-04-2009, 20:45   #5
God Member

its a problem Neil because its illegal
Old 19-04-2009, 20:46   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
...she is TEN years old, this is illegal, you have to be 12 (i think) to be able to open an account...
It is not illegal, it is against their terms and conditions, the age limit is 13
Old 19-04-2009, 20:48   #7
God Member

so its ok for kids of such a young age to be told something that is against the rules is fine to do is it?

I THINK NOT
Old 19-04-2009, 20:51   #8
God Member

I dont see the problem providing the account is being monitered, I watch everything my daughter does on the internet, I think it could be quite dangerous if the parent doesn't do this as I'm sure we've all had contacts on there that we dont know.
Old 19-04-2009, 20:52   #9
God Member

rules are there for a reason Grego
Old 19-04-2009, 20:52   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It is similar to letting them watch films or play PC games that have a higher age rating than they are.
Old 19-04-2009, 20:53   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
I dont see the problem providing the account is being monitered, I watch everything my daughter does on the internet, I think it could be quite dangerous if the parent doesn't do this as I'm sure we've all had contacts on there that we dont know.
Only if you set up your account to allow it.
Old 19-04-2009, 21:15   #12
God Member

I didn't know there was a restriction on age for facebook.

I don't agree with primary school children being on facebook myself.

Good on you, Flashy.
Old 19-04-2009, 21:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
rules are there for a reason Grego
Yes I do agree with that but rules are broken all the time, I dont think its a big deal if the parents are in control of it, if they're not then its a different story
Old 19-04-2009, 21:56   #14

Here is what it says on facebook

Facebook does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register. If you are under 13, please do not attempt to register for Facebook or send any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number or email address. No one under the age of 13 may provide any personal information to or on Facebook. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under the age of 13, please contact us through the form on our privacy help page.
Old 19-04-2009, 22:02   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
Yes I do agree with that but rules are broken all the time, I dont think its a big deal if the parents are in control of it, if they're not then its a different story
my view is simple theres NO WAY of people knowing if the childs parents ARE monitoring its account, i think the net is great but can be very bad news fer minors, so therefore should not be on these sites.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..