Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2012, 00:08   #16
Senior Member+

Re: ideas for leftover mash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
By the time she can act on your suggestions it'll be three days old(that's dangerous).
I hate it when it's fresh but three days old-Yuck.
Honest Gordon the green stuff formed on the surface is good for you - it is a basic penicillin culture - I think. Let's have a bit of a cavalier attitude
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2012, 01:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marl View Post
Make potatoe cakes with it you just need flour .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... lots of ingredients to taste ... but, how much flour do you add? You don't have to be exact.
And why do I have to roll it into my balls I can't see how that would improve the taste
Lol I went into more detail than Marl
Sorry, I just tend to cook by trial and error, I love cooking.
Balls are just because I like balls (not really, just makes it easier to flatten them into neat shapes rather than raggy ones (stops them burning so much as well, but I reckon you know that )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Just throw it away. Disgusting stuff!
Going to all that trouble to use up a bit of second hand mash? Crazy.
I get really mad if I waste food!Or anything, for that matter-if I've the teeniest bit of leftovers I try to use it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I suppose you could use salmon, or tuna.

Gordon....I was taught to use up leftovers(there is too much food wasted today because people do not know what to do with it, to make it usable)...and done in the right way you would not know they were leftovers........and anyway, it isn't second hand mash....it's leftovers.
^^Yes this!
Quote:
It is only dangerous if it hasn't been kept in the right conditions.(and if it isn't cooked at a high enough temperature)
And maybe there is a reason why there was leftovers...maybe someone who should have been dining didn't.

When deciding if food is not suitable for consumption, you look at it, smell it, and give some to you other half...if he survives then it should be oK to eat.

Gordon...way back when...there were no fridges or freezers....we regularly ate stuff that had been sat on the cellar head for days......we cut the green off the cheese.......did we come to any harm?
I can't speak for you...but I certainly didn't.
I totally agree-if it smells okay it should be okay to eat.I even use food that's past its best before date, I can't stand being fussy about things like that, I'm grateful that I have the choice when it comes down to it.
Old 30-10-2012, 07:45   #18
Beacon of light

I take very little notice of 'sell by' dates. I use what god gave me and what has caused man to survive for so long....my eyes, and my nose.
The sell by dates were put on foods by the food industry(probably at the behest of a 'nanny' government) to make people distrust their senses and to throw perfectly good food away.(more profits in it for the food giants) This, while half of the world starves.

Because of my upbringing, I find food waste sinful. I throw away nothing that can be used. I was born recycling.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:28   #19
white rabbits

J cover it with loads of grated cheese grill it and serve with baked beans,,,lovely jubbly..x
Old 30-10-2012, 08:30   #20
white rabbits

Quote:
I take very little notice of 'sell by' dates. I use what god gave me and what has caused man to survive for so long....my eyes, and my nose.
The sell by dates were put on foods by the food industry(probably at the behest of a 'nanny' government) to make people distrust their senses and to throw perfectly good food away.(more profits in it for the food giants) This, while half of the world starves.

Because of my upbringing, I find food waste sinful. I throw away nothing that can be used. I was born recycling.
me too....
i am glad i am nt on my own,,,lol
Old 30-10-2012, 08:34   #21
Senior Member+

have you seen the website 'approved foods' you can get some bargains if you arent bothered about best before dates

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:37   #22
Senior Member+

would you be interested in some noodles from 1986? they were in a box of things my grandma gave me when the small boy was born

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:45   #23
Beacon of light

If they looked alright and smelled ok and had been kept dry then I would give 'em a go.

Well, no I wouldn't eat them, because I am not fond of thea kind of stuff...but I would feed them to himself.

I also use leftover mash to top a vegetarian baked pie....a bit like cottage pie, but with all kinds of vegetables in a white sauce(whatever is in my veggie box that looks like it needs to be eaten soon......wrinkly carrots, mushrooms, peppers, floppy leeks that kind of stuff. It makes a hearty lunch and is healthy...five a day in one dish.
Old 30-10-2012, 11:05   #24
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

I also use leftover mash to top a vegetarian baked pie....a bit like cottage pie, but with all kinds of vegetables in a white sauce(whatever is in my veggie box that looks like it needs to be eaten soon......wrinkly carrots, mushrooms, peppers, floppy leeks that kind of stuff. It makes a hearty lunch and is healthy...five a day in one dish.

Are you allowing P.C. speech to creep in here Margaret?

Is it no longer allowed for us to call a vegetable meal just that, a vegetable meal?
If someone wishes to eat just vegetables then fair enough, they can eat only vegetables, it's their choice, however a vegetable pie does not have to be known as a vegetarian pie surely?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 11:09   #25
Beacon of light

No Less...I hadn't actually thought about it.......I only called it a vegetarian meal because I use it for a friend...who is a vegetarian....it is just a vegetable pie to us.....pastryless.
Old 30-10-2012, 12:40   #26
God Member

Quote:

Agree with you 110% on this ... I know that Canadians waste way too much food.

Most of Canada's wasted food dumped from homes - World - CBC News
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 14:44   #27

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Old 30-10-2012, 14:51   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:

Well, no I wouldn't eat them, because I am not fond of thea kind of stuff...but I would feed them to himself.
So, you would feed 'himself' with 26 year old food but not touch it yourself?
Greater love hath no woman!
Is he insured?

That's one of the reasons I love Stilton cheese. It's mouldy to start with so you can't tell if it's gone off or not, it all gets eaten.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:31   #29
Beacon of light

As I stated Gordon...I do not eat Pasta/Noodles...if I did then(and they looked and smelled OK) - then yes I would eat them.
And of course he is insured...do you think I'm stupid or something
(I should state at this point we have been married for 46 years and he has never once been ill off my cooking - he has been sick off drink, but not my food)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..