Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2014, 11:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Fried Bread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
......some folk like their bread to be done in the bacon fat.....others are not nearly so
Only way to have it!
Turtle likes this.
Old 26-07-2014, 21:37   #17

My Dad used to make us a 'one eyed sandwich' - bread fried in bacon fat, then a square hole cut in it and an egg fried in the hole. Memorable and delicious!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 14:32   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Was watching a very, very, very, old film when they mentioned dripping butties, that reminded me of the good old days of unhealthy eating and how we would devour these delights like there was no tomorrow (with added salt we were so brave and carefree back then).

That in turn reminded me of this thread, which would also give culinary and health experts nightmares,
enjoy, while I retire to the kitchen to fry up some bread, think I might just add an egg or three to that.

Oh boy, oh boy, my cholesterol levels will at last be returned to a high level.
taddy likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 14:44   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sod all wrong wi fried bread far as im concerned.
taddy likes this.
Old 24-12-2021, 19:34   #20
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

A Yorkingshire friend, always keen to save a couple of bob toasts their bread first, then drops it in the fat (of choice) sizzling in the frying pan & much to my outrage & disgust at this blatant sacrilege to the revered "fried slice" I must admit it wasn't that bad actually.
Old 25-12-2021, 09:44   #21

A lot has been said about unhealthy food that we ate in the forties, fifties etc. but when I read the funeral notices in the observer (via LancsLive), I'm always surprised at the number of people who have passed away who were in their nineties, so was it all that unhealthy in the past, or is it that we have come to be "indoctrinated" about our eating healthy and watching our cholesterol levels?
Cheers & stay healthy
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 10:00   #22
Beacon of light

No, I don’t think it was unhealthy…add to that the people of that age were mainly working in very physical jobs, you did not see very many really fat people.

I think that there were fewer additives…people cooked from scratch…the only real take away was a chippy tea….and that was very infrequent.
We had sugar in our tea…full fat milk, ate butter on our bread….and what is just as important is that we had no concerns about what we are…we did not obsess about food or calories.
We drank water or milk….not fizzy drinks.
All this must count for something.
cashman and odders like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 10:01   #23
Beacon of light

Oh yes…and there were times we went hungry(well, that is true for me).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 10:28   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
or is it that we have come to be "indoctrinated" about our eating healthy and watching our cholesterol levels?
Cheers & stay healthy

Think that is more likely the case, to many people with "Fingers in pies" & all earning obscenely well by extending the myth, yet many nations are still pumping out "Lardys" with greased ease.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..