Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2016, 13:08   #16

Re: Toothache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I never had any jabs at school.
One of the pupils had gone down with polio, so everyone had a jab. I think in those days it was alwas followed by a booster. Third time round, after another case it was the sugar lump - much more civilised!
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2016, 13:59   #17
Senior Member+

My dislike of dentists came from a visit to one on Burnley Rd - both front teeth cracked when hit by a cricket bat - he drilled both cracks out and filled them - without an anaesthetic. Took a long time to get over that, not until my '30s when I wanted the RAF dentist to play in the football team, but he cured my phobia, absolutely brilliant chap.
Can't remember having jabs for Polio, all I remember are sugar lumps. Jabs came later, 70 or so airmen lined up and progressed between two lines of medics - about 8 or 10 jabs in total - quite a few drop outs, literally.
Old 25-01-2016, 15:14   #18
Full Member+

Oh dear I must be losing it !!! I went to Peel Park but cannot for the life of me remember having my teeth looked at. I did go to a dentist regularly though that my mum and dad went to. I have a vague recollection of having the polio sugar lump though. I am lucky to have a wonderful dentist now. He has cured my son of his fears with his calm quiet manner. I must admit I have never had toothache thankfully.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:41   #19
BOB

top man david
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 18:34   #20
I am Banned

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1159273]I also had a phobia of dentists...I didn't visit the dentists for more than 40 years.
I filed down broken teeth with a diamond file rather than go and be seen.
Margaret, you not the only one wth a phobia of dentists, but mine was more of a hatred of them, I can still remember back in the 1930's and that torture camp in Cannon St. We had to go there wether we liked it of not, sit in a big staight backed chair with a head clamp, he had a drill that he worked with his foot, he also had a gadjet that held you gob open, you could neither swallow or do anything,and if you started crying you got a back hander.
As I was growing up I pulled my own teeth with pliers, it was painfull some times, but owt was better than going to a dentist, then in my 70's the doctor looked in my gob, and ordered me to the dentist, she was a nice young lady in Warner St, who said she couldn't do more than take a mouth cast, and it woud be horsepital. I went and said I wanted to be treated as if I was royalty, no pain no fuss. He grinned and said Ok, when I woke up from the anasthetic, I had been treated like Royalty, the Queens farrier was stood there, e were built like a brick toilet, leather apron, giant pair of pliers, the lot.
Then I was told to see the dentist in 3 weeks, she sat me down, looked in my gob, shook her head took a picture and said youve got a new tooth growing, it was coming out of the roof of my mouth, she said it must have been there all my life, had to wait till it was big enough to be pulled, then on the magic day out it came, she got the original cast, but it no longer fit, she said my tongue had swelled and taken up the space, I've had to, put up with no teeth ever since, now its a ******, some things I liked I can no longr eat, I used to love raw carrots, and peanuts, gone for ever. I only hope that sod of a school dentist died a horrible death.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 22:10   #21

Oh my goodness, Retlaw, (and other posters to this thread) you have me cringing hearing of how much torture dentistry used to be! The early memories I have of dentists back in the early 60s is getting the gas: a black rubber mask put on my face, the woozy feeling of going under, (sort of a slow spiral image winding down in my head). Then waking up, all done. I sure feel lucky after hearing your tales. Mr. Gleave at Peel Park once pulled one if my uncooperative baby teeth with his hankie. He was strict, but a kind soul really
My sister became a dental hygienist, and her ex husband was a dentist, so dental care over here was an expected evil. He worked on my teeth while they were married and he was excellent. I still dread going to any dentist, though. Gives me the Heebie Jeebies even though I go every six months. My main fear these days is him finding a cracked filling as I have many that are decades old. When I can leave his office with an all clear, I fairly skip back out into the parking lot!
Accyexplorer likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 02:33   #22
Senior Member+

Retlaw...Antley villa used(well almost) to be as bad as that in the 80/90's creating my major fear of dentists for such a long time. I have a fear of needles too

I also have a bit of dental pain due to the operation I had. Toothache is one of the worst pains a person can go through. I have had it a lot in the past, depends on the tooth on how much it hurts. Feel for ya dude.

Talking about rinsing with salty water. I am doing that(also has bicarb soda) every morning and night for the next three months. I am squirting around pint of it up my nose. I had a septoplasty on the 18th and there was complications with the breathing tube for the anesthetic which has left my throat really sore, my nose is sore(its a nose operation) constantly and I am sure they caught my teeth and gums with the tube because my mouth is sore too.
9 days later and I still cannot breathe what so ever through my nose and I sneezed for the first time today and everything felt like it was breaking at once. I tried to get most of it out my mouth, the pain was like nothing I have ever felt before, A quick-sharp-shock of mouth pain, throat pain, nose pain(was absolutely extreme) and my ears popped with the pressure. It hurt so much I felt like crying. Its 3.30am now and sleeping is a terror to give in to. I am sleeping on the armchair because I wake on my side and that isn't good.
Old 27-01-2016, 07:41   #23
Beacon of light

Rob, you can expect your nose to feel totally blocked for up to three weeks.
This is because the mucous membrane inside your nose is swollen.....the salt water you are using is to help prevent bacteria from growing and to keep everything moist.
You should have been given a leaflet about how to sneeze(with your mouth fully open.....still very painful however you do it).
You should be taking pain relief on a regular basis and your GP can prescribe for you if you have run out.

Steam inhalations might be helpful too.
The salt water and Bicarb mouth rinses should make your mouth less sore and you could also add a soluble aspirin to this mix.....gargle with it if you can....But spit it out....don't swallow it.
Aspirin is an anti inflammatory so it should help to take the soreness out.
If none of these self help measures are effective ring the ward where you had your op and ask for their advice.

I hope things look up for you soon.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:15   #24
I am Banned

Sound advice Rob from Nurse Margaret.
Also: If you can get hold of one of those little facial saunas, the steam generated in one of those will give you additional relief.
Restless likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:22   #25
Beacon of light

A very effective and cheap way of inhaling steam is to use a litre plastic jug, put a couple of inches of boiling water in the bottom and then close the top of the jug by placing you nose in the place where the spout is and your chin into the jug(this is why you should put only a small amount of boiling water into the jug), and beathe in the steam.
This is a particularly effective treatment when you think you are about to get a cold...before it gets into full swing.
The steam kills the viruses that lurk in the nose and back of the throat....and while it may not stop the cold entirely, it may shorten the discomfort and ease the symptoms.
Restless likes this.
Old 27-01-2016, 10:43   #26
I am Banned

The facial sauna/steam generators as the name suggests generate a constant stream of vapour. As long as the device is charged that is.10 or 15 minutes.
The water using the jug method is cooling right from the get go and maybe a tad dangerous.
These purpose built devices have a shaped cradle for ones face and a stable base.
Restless likes this.
Old 27-01-2016, 11:40   #27
Beacon of light

I get what you are saying, but I don't know about you.....many people(me included) buy gadgets and never use them......we have an unused foot spa somewhere lurking in the house. I would be loathe to buy a facial sauna for this purpose(and I use steam inhalation quite a lot)......they are bulky items, you need to have somewhere to store it....and it may get very little use.
I also have a Nelsons inhaler...which is fine if you just want to loosen chest secretions, but it is of little use for nasal congestion....or for reducing the viruses that lurk in the nose.
Yes my method could be seen as dangerous, but as long as you appreciate there is an element of risk involved then you can make allowances for it.
It is a method I use frequently......and I know it works for me.......and it requires only a modicum of sense.
Restless likes this.
Old 27-01-2016, 13:41   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but I don't know about you.....many people(me included) buy gadgets and never use them......we have an unused foot spa somewhere lurking in the house. I would be loathe to buy a facial sauna for this purpose(and I use steam inhalation quite a lot)......they are bulky items, you need to have somewhere to store it....and it may get very little use.
True enough Margaret, our George Foreman Grill keeps Mrs P's footspa company in some dark cupboard, think the Breville toaster is long gone though
Restless likes this.
Old 27-01-2016, 15:19   #29
Beacon of light

yes we had those gadgets too......once the novelty wears off they are ditched for the tried and trusted.
Although I have to say my window vac is worth its weight in gold......not bulky does a fine job of windows. mirrors tiles and shower doors. How did I manage without it?
Restless likes this.
Old 27-01-2016, 17:54   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
yes we had those gadgets too......once the novelty wears off they are ditched for the tried and trusted.
Although I have to say my window vac is worth its weight in gold......not bulky does a fine job of windows. mirrors tiles and shower doors. How did I manage without it?
Snap Margaret.

Gonna'
hop off this thread before the thread wander taliban censure me.
Restless and Accyexplorer like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..