Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2016, 18:41   #16
God Member

Re: Well it's local elections, did you bother to vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Voted at 9.30pm after a long ass shift on the ward, i sometimes wonder why i bother though
Maybe 'cause the right to vote, especially for women, didn't come without a struggle. And maybe, even after a long ass shift, you realize this. I always vote, even if it is just to scrawl "None of these [deleted]ing turkeys" across the ballot.
Less and flashy like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2016, 20:26   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe 'cause the right to vote, especially for women, didn't come without a struggle. And maybe, even after a long ass shift, you realize this. I always vote, even if it is just to scrawl "None of these [deleted]ing turkeys" across the ballot.

You are so right, I always vote even if it's just turn up and let them know my vote is void.
I hate it when women say they can't be bothered to vote for any reason, that is like them saying Durr, I shouldn't be given the vote in the first place, which has to be bad for all mankind.

I don't want a life that includes women as a second class unthinking species, I want women that can always improve on what life has to offer, (and if they can do it without me working, then, the sooner the better).
hilleluk likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 21:20   #18
Beacon of light

I don't think that 'not being bothered' is really the issue.

I think many women feel that they do not have enough interest or knowledge about politics to feel comfortable with the responsibility of voting.(and it is a responsibility)

There is certainly a level of disengagement with the folk who are at the sharp end of things...and if they can see that their vote makes little difference to the bigger picture...well then, you can see why they would not 'bother'.
Democracy is about being able to change things by voting...a democratic process.

The history of womens fight for votes means very little to a lot of women today....in fact I bet there are many who do not realise what the suffragettes went through to enable women to vote.
It is also about choice....just because you have the right to do something does not mean that it should be compulsory.

I take myself off to the polling station even if I have no intention of casting a valid vote.
flashy and cashman like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56   #19
God Member

How does the saying go? 'Its like flogging a dead horse'...do any of us really get a say in what goes on in this country? Do they really take our votes into consideration? ... or do they say we can vote just to let us think we have a say in matters???..
THATS why i said...i dont know why i bother, i have voted ever since i was 18 and will continue to
Old 08-05-2016, 09:11   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
or do they say we can vote just to let us think we have a say in matters???...

THATS why i said...i dont know why i bother, i have voted ever since i was 18 and will continue to
I think you have scored a direct hit there Flashy.
We know that the politicians can promise us the moon when they are asking for our vote....but when they have got it....they do what they damn well like...whether it fits in with our wishes or not.

Politicians do not follow the desires of those who elected them...they follow the directives of the Party Line(our own MP is a prime example of this).
Many politicians think we should be treated as though we have nothing to keep our ears apart(and some of them have even commented that we do not know enough to make a sensible decision about certain things).

Many politicians are not in the job for what they can do to improve the lives of their electorate...but more to enhance their own bank balance, to network, so that when their political career comes to a halt, they will have something soft to fall back on.

Politicians seem to know (and care little) of the struggles faced each day by people like you and me.

Like the voters who are disengaged from politics....they are disengaged from the electorate..

Now, I will just go and get two more of the extra strong anti-cynical pills.
Old 08-05-2016, 13:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
We know that the politicians can promise us the moon when they are asking for our vote....but when they have got it....they do what they damn well like...whether it fits in with our wishes or not.

Politicians do not follow the desires of those who elected them...they follow the directives of the Party Line(our own MP is a prime example of this).
Many politicians think we should be treated as though we have nothing to keep our ears apart(and some of them have even commented that we do not know enough to make a sensible decision about certain things).

Many politicians are not in the job for what they can do to improve the lives of their electorate...but more to enhance their own bank balance, to network, so that when their political career comes to a halt, they will have something soft to fall back on.

Politicians seem to know (and care little) of the struggles faced each day by people like you and me.

Like the voters who are disengaged from politics....they are disengaged from the electorate..

What a cracking, sensible post, the sort of post that needs putting in an envelope addressed to the speaker of the Palace of Westminster, with a rider that it be read out at Prime Ministers question time but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:53   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
What a cracking, sensible post, the sort of post that needs putting in an envelope addressed to the speaker of the Palace of Westminster, with a rider that it be read out at Prime Ministers question time but don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Taddy
Taddy, I am pleased that you think my post is sensible.
It is something that I have been saying...well, forever really.
I think that perhaps many people have a similar view too......but we are the little people who only matter when these politicians want our X in their box.
The rest of the time we might as well never exist.
Old 08-05-2016, 16:34   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

That may be true at national level but these were local elections and I doubt many of them make anything out of being a local councillor compared to the hours they put in. A lot of them are retired so have no need for something to fall back on.
Old 08-05-2016, 16:58   #24
Beacon of light

Neil, I accept that local politics is a very different kettle of fish and I have said as much many times. In fact I think the party allegiances for local politics should be wiped out. I am sure it would lead to much more productive working for the local population if political barriers were removed.

The thing is,that if the electorate are disenchanted with national politics, there is little chance that they will engage in local politics.
And despite the fact that there might be little money in local politics, there is still some rancourous in fighting(you only have to look at the way it destroyed the relationship between a father and daughter to see that......or that between PB and other local politicians who shall be nameless, but you know who they are).

While ever local politics go under the banners of the main political parties it will stay the same......and the town pays for it both in money and resources.
Old 08-05-2016, 18:34   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That may be true at national level but these were local elections and I doubt many of them make anything out of being a local councillor compared to the hours they put in. A lot of them are retired so have no need for something to fall back on.
Correct but also (some), of them are not working and claiming benefits,although they can claim substantial allowances, these do not affect their benefit payments.

Allowances for having a room turned into an office costing thousands of pounds of tax payers money, (my b----y) money does not go down very well.

I have heard from an ex councillor that today's councillor's can now claim up to £30,000 a year without it effecting their benefit payments, (if) this is correct then it is a scandal, (that is putting it more politely than I would have said had I not been on so called social media).

How ever try to stay happy, Your's, Taddy.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:26   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I have heard from an ex councillor that today's councillor's can now claim up to £30,000 a year without it effecting their benefit payments, (if) this is correct then it is a scandal, (that is putting it more politely than I would have said had I not been on so called social media).....
Not an issue then seeing as the highest claim for the 2014-2015 year was £25,339 by the leader of the council and the next highest over £10,000 less than that. Those figures are gross before income tax and national insurance is taken off.

What benefits can you claim while paying tax and insurance on £30,000?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:33   #27
Beacon of light

I would like to be on £30,000 a year.
I didn't make that as a full time Senior Sister.
If you have that kind of income who needs benefits?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:36   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Not an issue then seeing as the highest claim for the 2014-2015 year was £25,339 by the leader of the council and the next highest over £10,000 less than that. Those figures are gross before income tax and national insurance is taken off.

What benefits can you claim while paying tax and insurance on £30,000?
May none but are expenses classed as taxable income? Plus if someone has a room in their home turned into an office with all the gadgets, IE, phone line, broadband, computer/s, etc at taxpayers expense do they have to return the said items or pay any tax for them when they lose their seat? (just curious)

Stay happy as ever, Your's Taddy.
Old 09-05-2016, 15:22   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
May none but are expenses classed as taxable income? Plus if someone has a room in their home turned into an office with all the gadgets, IE, phone line, broadband, computer/s, etc at taxpayers expense do they have to return the said items or pay any tax for them when they lose their seat? (just curious)

Stay happy as ever, Your's Taddy.
Yes they are taxable. As for what is provided and what has to be returned I have no idea but I don't think any councillor should be out of pocket for being a councillor
Old 09-05-2016, 18:19   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
yes they are taxable. As for what is provided and what has to be returned i have no idea but i don't think any councillor should be out of pocket for being a councillor
o.k.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..