Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-01-2018, 18:16   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Banned from hyndburn chat

Did my first computer course in '67 - we used Machine Code and storage was on paper tape or a Magnetic Drum (about the size of a galvanised dustbin). The system had 3 computers running in parallel, one in control, one running test programmes and the third was standby for either of the other two - I have had a deep and sincere hatred of computers ever since.
cashman and Restless like this.
Accrington Web
Old 25-01-2018, 23:31   #62
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
So if they are doing their job controlling the machines why change.
Every time gill bates breaks wind, every body rushes out his latest crap
Because the hardware is no longer available to repair the old junk
Old 26-01-2018, 13:15   #63
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I couldn't imagine using a DOS box now for my everyday computing. I've 3 monitors, 2 landscape and one portrait. I've 2 browsers open and shed loads of tabs. Spotify, WhatsApp, a programming tool, sniping tool and some other stuff.

DOS belongs in the past but we actually have 5 DOS computers at work controlling production equipment and they were only installed new on new equipment about 2007
One 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming, one 1080p for other stuff and an iPad pro... Just got a great desk last week

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Stevie R likes this.
Old 26-01-2018, 15:13   #64
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I'm not posting a picture of mine, someone would only ask why I need 15 radios
Restless and hilleluk like this.
Old 26-01-2018, 15:54   #65
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm not posting a picture of mine, someone would only ask why I need 15 radios
Well now we know yeh have, Why have yeh??
Old 26-01-2018, 16:32   #66
Senior Member+

You might as well post a pic now - and then tell us why
Old 26-01-2018, 16:55   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Did my first computer course in '67 - we used Machine Code and storage was on paper tape or a Magnetic Drum (about the size of a galvanised dustbin). The system had 3 computers running in parallel, one in control, one running test programmes and the third was standby for either of the other two - I have had a deep and sincere hatred of computers ever since.
That reminds of when I started out as an apprentice enginner in 1955. We did a lot of work in the cotton industry and some looms were programmed to make patterned cloth with big tapes with holes in to control the different coloured shuttles. It's too far back to remember every detail but I seem to remember the make was Dobby.
Old 26-01-2018, 19:27   #68
Beacon of light

Russell was it not Jacquard?
I worked in the weaving shed of David Whiteheads in Rawtenstall....and what you describe are the jacquard patterns.
Twills and dobbys were very plain.
I worked at Moscow Mill too...this was mainly twills and dobbys and they were Lancashire looms...I had been used to Northrop automatics and this was a big shock to my system.
You could start on Lancashire looms and then transition to automatics, but doing it the other way around was (well, for me) very hard.
This was before I qualified as a nurse...in the mid sixties.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 19:35   #69
Senior Member+

You might be right Margaret. Jacquard does ring a bell.
Jeremiah Jackson where I worked were general textile engineers and we made machines for the textile industry as well as going out to factories to repair or refurbish machinery.
I do vividly remember the big card with holes to make the pattern and a tackler changing them every so often.
Later looms used air or even water to blow the weft across and did away with shuttles.
We are showing our age now MARGARET.
Restless likes this.
Old 26-01-2018, 19:55   #70
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I thought also it was Jacquard, but my memorys rubbish so kept me gob shut, sure they had some of those at Enfield Mill when i worked yon in late 60s. for you young uns the mill is now Ossy Mills / Bubble factory.
Old 26-01-2018, 20:23   #71
Beacon of light

I worked on a shuttle-less loom, it was called a sulzer machine...and used a rapier to draw the thread across the warp.

I was seconded to the research and development unit...I really enjoyed this work...then the place shut up shop and moved lock stock and barrel to South Africa...that was when I got a job at Moscow mill...no it was Enfield Mill not Moscow Mill.
They made the table cloths and table napkins for Buckingham Palace, but only the best weavers were allowed to work on these orders...and I definitely was not one of those.
I hated the Lancashire looms.
Gremlin likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 00:05   #72
I am Banned

Red face Re: Banned from hyndburn chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
One 1440p 144hz monitor for gaming, one 1080p for other stuff and an iPad pro... Just got a great desk last week

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Flamin Eck no wonder tha calls thi sen restless, who makes thi jam butties, is id a robot, tha should ev a matress on floor under thi desk, then tha con play with them pedals as tha falls asleep. Ha Ha He
Restless likes this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-01-2018 at 00:07.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 00:36   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That reminds of when I started out as an apprentice enginner in 1955. We did a lot of work in the cotton industry and some looms were programmed to make patterned cloth with big tapes with holes in to control the different coloured shuttles. It's too far back to remember every detail but I seem to remember the make was Dobby.
I started my apprenticeship in Jan '56 at Prestige, Burnley. I remember that Sales/Finance had a "computer" of sorts that used individual punched paper cards about the size of a postcard - Hollerith was the manufacturer. If they had a problem they had to call in the company technicians, none of the electrical dept. ever worked on it.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 27-01-2018, 22:42   #74

OMG!
Retlaw posted in normal type
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 14:33   #75
I am Banned

Angry Re: Banned from hyndburn chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
OMG!
Retlaw posted in normal type
Sarky buuggur, I ed to do cuz sumats appened an a can't diddle, wit font ur owt an hardly read this crap, ids nod clear enuff. I've a dammed good idea wods caused id
cashman, Restless and RainbowSix like this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..