Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2021, 14:27   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

A Modern Day Take On Getting Old.

It's slowly dawning on me that I am getting old, nothing to do with the aches and pains of just getting about, or even the fact that if I'm catching a bus then see one in the distance, there is no point running to the stop I just won't make it and would still be gasping for breath by the time the next one arrives.
Nope it's the modern meeja of Facebook that really hurts no longer am I getting friend suggestions of bright young things, what I get instead are suggestions of people that I deleted years ago because they died, well Facebook no thanks I don't believe these folk will answer no matter what medium I use in an attempt to communicate so I'll ignore your suggestions ta.

P.S. Yes Margaret I know you don't Facebook, I do to see what my family are up to, they use it.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2021, 15:20   #2
Beacon of light

Re: A Modern Day Take On Getting Old.

If it works for you Less...then that is all that matters.

You are right though about getting old.
It seems that everyone today is expected to have not just a mobile phone...but a smart phone.
If you say you do not possess one of these then you are looked at like you have two heads, but brains in neither of them.
I have no smart phone....I have a dumb mobile...it lies at the bottom of my bag and the last time I checked...the battery was dead.
We had a visit from a young police woman recently and she asked what I would do if I was out and needed assistance....I told her that some Good Samaritan would take pity on me if I showed them my dead dumb phone.
This phone belonged to my Ma......she never used it either.
No one wants to phone me when I am out and about....I am usually with my other half these days so he is unlikely to ring me.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 15:57   #3

I reckon I've got a smart just about everything, and love it, phone, T.V., sound system, meters, and on I could go, the hinderence is having to use so many remotes.
I know I can connect all to my phone and use that as a remote but usually if I want to change channels for example I'm playing a game so can't be bothered selecting the app.
Have been slowly considering putting everything on alexa like my kids have done, decided to look into it saw two books titled alexa for seniors (which I suspect means OAP'S) & alexa for dummies or similar title, first was £9.99 second was £5.95 they look to be by the same publisher and advertise similar content.
Well, this is one 'senior' that will buy a dummy, I suspect maybe just perhaps the extra cash is for the large print edition.
Old 31-08-2021, 16:41   #4

[QUOTE=Less;1257224]I reckon I've got a smart just about everything, and love it, phone, T.V., sound system, meters, and on I could go, the hinderence is having to use so many remotes.
I know I can connect all to my phone and use that as a remote but usually if I want to change channels for example I'm playing a game so can't be bothered selecting the app.
Have been slowly considering putting everything on alexa like my kids have done, decided to look into it saw two books titled alexa for seniors (which I suspect means OAP'S) & alexa for dummies or similar title, first was £9.99 second was £5.95 they look to be by the same publisher and advertise similar content.
Well, this is one 'senior' that will buy a dummy, I suspect maybe just perhaps the extra cash is for the large print edition.

Come on Less this has got to be a wind up, how the (H--L), (Dickens), do you expect an old Luddite like me to understand all this talk about Smart phones, Meters, sound systems, Alexa and the like and as for these so called "apps", all that I can put between that is "le", as in apples.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:04   #5

[QUOTE=taddy;1257226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I reckon I've got a smart just about everything, and love it, phone, T.V., sound system, meters, and on I could go, the hinderence is having to use so many remotes.

Come on Less this has got to be a wind up, how the (H--L), (Dickens), do you expect an old Luddite like me to understand all this talk about Smart phones, Meters, sound systems, Alexa and the like and as for these so called "apps", all that I can put between that is "le", as in apples.
I won't bother correcting the quote errors this time, however if you don't understand do try google, a world full of simple explanations just waiting for you to dip your toe in and stop pretending your too old or too thick (which I don't believe, you just pull on the leg a bit) to understand.
Old 31-08-2021, 17:47   #6

Before anyone comes back at me saying 'how can I be cruel to an old man', Jesus effing Christ he's only 4 years older than me not a generation, my brother is the same age made a good living as a draftsman had to completely change his whole work pattern when C.A.D. came in he didn't whine he was too old.
These people aren't quitters either they put us all to shame.

https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/crui...he-world-72022

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...world/11991436

Learning a little of what's new and useful that we can do is so good compared with wasting away by avoiding and decrying all that mystifies us.

Last edited by Less; 31-08-2021 at 17:52.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:08   #7
Beacon of light

Yes..it is good for us to learn new things....and I do not believe that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks....but it needs to be stuff that is going to be useful to us.

I can navigate my way through the internet....I can do the things that I want to do...but
If it does not benefit me in any way then I don’t feel the need to involve myself.....just to be
part of the masses.
So those smart devices....yes, of course I could learn to use them....I just don’t want to....and I see no reason to.
There are other things that can take up my time.
Old 31-08-2021, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes..it is good for us to learn new things....and I do not believe that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks....but it needs to be stuff that is going to be useful to us.

I can navigate my way through the internet....I can do the things that I want to do...but
If it does not benefit me in any way then I don’t feel the need to involve myself.....just to be
part of the masses.
So those smart devices....yes, of course I could learn to use them....I just don’t want to....and I see no reason to.
There are other things that can take up my time.
Good for you, though how you know if it's useful to you without learning a little about the new, I don't know.
You often claim to still be 14 in your head, well, most 14 year olds have no fear of technology.
(Sits back and awaits the next scolding).
Old 31-08-2021, 21:43   #9
Beacon of light

Less....you feel my comments are scolding??
How is that?

Yes I am 14 in my head....but it is the fourteen I was when I WAS fourteen.
Today’s Fourteen year olds are more like 18.

And how do I know that I would find no use for these new fangled things? I can access and read reviews....so I think I DO try to learn about them
And, I suppose it is by seeing others using them.....and feeling that I would not want to be doing what they are doing.
What use have I for a smart phone?......when there is no one who would want to ring me....and it would sit in the bottom of my bag unused, very likely with a dead battery. Yes...I know they do other things besides text and make calls....but do I want to be doing those other things on the hoof? Is it necessary for me to do these things while out and about?....no they can wait until I get home and I can use my other new fangled devices to do them in the privacy of my home.

For those who have need of them, they must be a boon.

I am ready, willing and able to master the things which make my life better.
I do not necessarily think I need these gadgets improve my life.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 31-08-2021 at 21:46.
Old 01-09-2021, 17:06   #10

I dont even have a non smart phone, Who would ring me and who would I want to ring ? If I am out, my wife is always with me and she is the only person I might want to ring.
I dont wait till I get home either to make calls. We have a landline but what the number is I have no idea ( presume it starts with a 3).
Apps seem to be a way for businesses to cut costs by not having staff to answer calls from the public. I have no interest in Facebook or Twitter. (do they do more or less the same thing ? I dont know )
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 17:12   #11

I once was discussing Facebook with a young relative and came to the opinion that whatever use it is ? I dont need it. My relative was of the opinion that you get out of it what you want by controlling what you enter, she agreed that a lot of it was nonsense and proceeded to enter that her dog had just been sick on the carpet. ( it hadnt ) This started a deluge of comments about what to do re cleaning up. Had people been waiting on their keyboard for something like that to reply to. Who knows.
Old 01-09-2021, 17:24   #12
Beacon of light

So Mark....I am not on my own then when it comes to declining the doubtful uses of these gadgets.
I feel neatened by the thought that there is another being out there who feels no desire to be permanently connected to anything other than my breath.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:58   #13

I totally agree, Margaret. I know there are lots of things I could be doing regarding technology, that’s if I bought the gadgets in the first place, but if they are of no interest to me then why bother. Even regarding my computer, if I don’t need a certain programme and I won’t be using it, why would I waste time on it. Although the other day I did find out something new to me that I might find useful.

My granddaughter was using my computer to compose a story and I heard someone talking but didn’t recognise the voice. ‘Is someone in there with you?’ I asked. ‘No’ was the reply. So I asked who was that talking. ‘It’s the computer reading the story back to me’. Now I like to think I am reasonably knowledgeable regarding computing (and I am not going to say ‘for my age’ because I dislike that phrase) but must confess that although I have had this machine for a couple of years I had no idea that this was something it could do. I had never ‘explored’ the machine’s capabilities. Not to worry, my 11-year old granddaughter has taught me how to access the voice.

Definitely lots of computer-literate children around…,,,but I wonder if they would know how to use a slide rule.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:16   #14
Beacon of light

Or how to sew a run and fell flat seam....or knit, or crochet.....or bake a pie.
They might not know how to do these things Less will tell us, but they have in their hands a smart gadget that will allow them to seek out this information....except it is of NO interest to them(they buy their clothes with an eye to wear today, ditch tomorrow.....and knitting!
Who does knitting nowadays......Tom Daley...Olympic diver does....a pie?
Greggs do a nice line in pies and things don’t they)in the same way as these gadgets are no interest to me.
So I guess it is horses for courses.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:48   #15

I dont like the idea of entering personal or confidential information on the computer. Yes I have McAfee but anybody who wants your info can get past any antivirus, As for internet banking? i dont think so.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..