Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2021, 13:49   #16

Re: A Modern Day Take On Getting Old.

Age is just a number, if anyone asks me my age I tell them that I am a silver haired and bearded 74 year old on the outside but a pure gold 21 year old on the inside, or as my late mate Alan Crawshaw, (Crawshaws hair stylist, Abbey St) used to say, " a Woman is as old as she feels but a man is as old as the woman he feels.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2021, 15:00   #17
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark2009 View Post
As for internet banking?

I don't really have a great deal of choice on that one, my UK account is a bit awkward to accesss here in Germany, so online it is & upto now it's been reasonable, even had the Bank fraud people block some transactions then they spoke to me & it was all cleared up & freed (Drunk shopping late of a Fri-Sat evening, marvellous fun!)

It's amazing the stuff you didn't realize you wanted until you've done a bit of drunk shopping, then when all kinds of weird & wonderful kit turns up through the week after, there's the initial scratching of the head & the "What the .....?" moment, then it dawns on you what happened.

Even the German bank I'm with has only one branch left in Osnabrück & that is right in the middle of the city, so again, I tend to do my transactions online there too.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 02-09-2021, 16:39   #18

Bank branches are disappearing. Barclays in Accrington has just closed. The future might bring a necessary change in my thinking ?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 18:55   #19
Beacon of light

I do internet banking....and I pay bills in that way.
For a long time I was twitchy about it....I have a good anti virus and also the bank request customers to use iBM Rapport......because I have no mobile phone I have a device that generates a new passcode for every transaction....and there is three layer security on the account.
Internet banking has been almost forced on us by Bank closures...and for those older people who do not have internet I truly feel sorry for them.
Their lives have been made far harder by the March of technology.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 19:27   #20
Full Member+

I don't bother with Facebook, my brother and sister only live 5 miles away and both have landlines and/or mobiles so if I want to talk to them I just ring them. I've only started using internet banking in the last 18 months despite making websites and using the internet since the mid 1990's.
Old 02-09-2021, 21:48   #21
Beacon of light

I have family members in Australia(Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane).....family in Europe.....(Brussels and Portugal).....but I do not use Facebook to keep in touch.....I use e-mail and sometimes FaceTime on my iPad(where time differences do not get in the way).
I use the methods that suit me.....in any case I do not really want to be knowing their every waking move...it seems somehow a bit intrusive....or maybe that is just me being archaic.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:10   #22

I'm a big believer in keeping up with every sort of modern communications. I spotted this when the first IBM-computers came onto the market in the late seventies. I saw then when the firm that I was working for fitted out the whole firm with IBM-computers (todays mobile phones can do almost the same thing), that it would be a case of keeping up with the times, or get left behind! Without regret, I chose the first option, so much so, that at the age of 47 I also passed my Electronic Engineers exam. The electronics industry played an immense role in today’s household appliances, as well as in communications.
My communication today with family members is as follows:
- Skype (now and again use Zoom) with my daughter in Australia 2x per week, great seeing our Grandson growing up!
- E-Mail and telephone with my brother in the UK. He is 82 now and not with this Skype business as he puts it!
- Telephone every Christmas with a couple of cousins in the UK.
- WhatsApp with a group of friends (all between 65 and 80) when we go walking every Monday afternoon for a couple of hours or so. I have these in a group, so that when the walk is organised, with the press of a button everybody is informed on where we are going and where and at what time we meet. This saves me answering the phone from someone asking “Where and what time did we say last Monday?).
Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 15:25   #23
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
WhatsApp with a group of friends (all between 65 and 80) when we go walking every Monday afternoon for a couple of hours or so.

Up the Berg for a yodel & a bit of Alphorn puffing?

Just a query seeing as your location is down as the Schweiz.
taddy likes this.
Old 03-09-2021, 15:52   #24

He is 82 now and not with this Skype business as he puts it!

I think that we may be related, yours, The Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:54   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have a smart phone it does what i need to know so thats good for me, as for Alexa? i never even heard the word before neer mind what it is. only thing i know about getting old is at some point i will die which is of little interest to me, so i dont bother, oh as for learning owt new to me thats pointless cos i will have forgot what it was in a couple of hours more than likely.

Last edited by cashman; 07-09-2021 at 09:56.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:23   #26
Beacon of light

Well yes Cashy....we are all heading in that general direction...but I don’t dwell on it.
You don’t when you are only 14 in your head....you wonder if it will be fine so that you can go out on your roller skates.
I try to learn something new every year....most of the things I try to learn are practical....learning to do calligraphy in different forms....trying to learn how to draw.....painting, graphics(for that I use my computer so not totally technophobic.
I also try to solve practical problems when things go wrong....and I keep the grey cells dancing with crosswords and word puzzles too.
I do not want to get into the hinterland of my life and be able to hide my own Easter Eggs.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:20   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i already got in that direction margaret, but i dont give a stuff, i only bother about what i can do summat about.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:23   #28

Better memory
https://ifunny.co/meme/what-do-we-wa...-want-THPmvFBq
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 13:01   #29
Beacon of light

Cashy are you telling me that you think it is pointless to try to stay as mentally sharp as possible....that you feel you can do nothing to prevent your grey cells from giving up the ghost??
Well, if that is how you want to see it then so be it...but I have to keep both physically and mentally active.....for what reason?
Well for me of course......because it is up to me to make my life as interesting and varied as possible....we are only here once.
Looking back over a long life I wish I had done more with my life....so I am not giving in now I am close to the butt end.
Old 07-09-2021, 14:18   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

to be honest i could not careless,how the hell can you be mentally sharp when yer memories knackered? as long as i am happy enough sod it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..