Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Blogs > Harwood Red's waffle
Donate! Join Today

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Rate this Entry

a paler shade of white

Posted 01-02-2008 at 00:43 by harwood red

Well what a few days I have all started early hours of Tuesday morning when my youngest son (14years old) came into my room and said he had a really bad pain in his stomach, he was sorry to wake me but he had been in agony for the past couple of hours (bless him for thinking about me!!) I told him to lie down on my bed, checked his temperature (which was normal) and went and got some pain killers. The poor love didn't know what to do with himself, but he eventually started to doze a bit...but I was wide awake and must admit a bit worried!!! He is not one for being ill, in fact hasn't had a day off school since he was about 7 and even when he has a bad cold or hurts himself, he never moans.

He tossed and turned in a fitful sleep as I kept a watchful eye on his temp, then he awoke all of a sudden, white as a sheet and ran to the loo and was violently sick (by this time it was about 6am) then just leaned against the toilet heaving as I rubbed his back... feeling completely helpless.

He said it seemed to have helped him and he went and got back into my bed and dozed off again for about another hour.. but of course the pain came back and so did the sickness.

By 8am he was completely drained, and even when his older brother got up and saw him could tell he wasn't well at all.

By 8.30 I was on the phone to the doctors and as luck would have it they had an appt that morning at 10am. So at 9.45am we set off complete with sick bowl (just in case) and got to the surgery early. He was moaning and groaning and I have to say I have never seen anyone so white, in fact he almost had a grey palour (now anyone who knows my son can tell you that he has a quite a reddish complexion).

We got in to to see the doctor, explained the problem and he asked him to lie on the examination couch, no sooner had he done that then he threw up again, luckily he kept it in his mouth long enough to sit up and get it into the bowl (I know I would never be able to do that). The doctor examined him, checked his pulse rate and then proceeded to tell me he suspected appendicitis then must have seen my panic stricken face and told me that it was ok as it is only suspected. Before becoming a GP he was a surgeon and he explained that if he was presented with my sons symptoms and examination he would not be prepared to operate.. hence the suspected.

However, he advised me to take him home, give him diarolyte and paracetomal and if he got any worse or was still in a lot of pain by that afternoon to ring back. He also said he was off duty that afternoon but would leave instructions that if I phoned he was to be contacted and he would make a house call (now not sure if I thought this was really kind of him or whether it panicked me more as he must be thinking it's serious), once again he must have read my face and explained that he just wanted to follow it through rather than me having to explain it all to another doctor!!

Well to cut a long story short.. we went home and he continued to throw up until there really was nothing left and he just kept heaving (isn't that the worst!!) and then he managed to doze a bit on the sofa...when he woke he said he was still in pain but it wasn't as bad.. and luckily as the day went on he improved and even managed to have something to eat without throwing up.. by tea time it was almost like he hadn't been ill

But yes you guessed it, that very evening I started to feel pretty damn rough... next day I was very rough but luckily I didn't get the throwing up, I was blessed with the other end . Would you believe he went to school that day, his choice and I ended up having weds and thurs off and still feel drained but at least miles better than weds morning.

So we have decided that between us we had the novovirusythingymijiggy, he got the sickness part and I got t'other end!!

Shame I don't feel a stone lighter though
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2654 Comments 4
Total Comments 4


  1. Old Comment
    Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
    Oh, what a nasty time you have both had.
    Hope you are both feeling better now.
    Posted 01-02-2008 at 08:40 by Margaret Pilkington Margaret Pilkington is offline
  2. Old Comment
    Mick's Avatar
    Your lucky i had the novovirus over Christmas and it was both ends .
    i had half a tin of chicken soup for Christmas dinner and that did not stay down.
    i ended up at the docs on the 28th Dec and he gave me some stuff as i was loosing fluid fast.
    i had just been for a chest x-ray and the doc said that's where i caught it as they had to shut a ward at accy vic
    i also ended up with a really bad cough which does not go well with the runs
    it was that bad every-time i went to bed i was coughing and keeping myself and Anne awake so slept down stairs i pulled a muscle coughing and retching which hurt when i coughed, i could not eat for 3 days
    better now though .
    hope your both ok its a nasty bug to get.
    Posted 01-02-2008 at 09:06 by Mick Mick is offline
    Updated 01-02-2008 at 09:08 by Mick
  3. Old Comment
    harwood red's Avatar
    no idea whether it was that novo thingy Mick but if it was we were lucky to get over it so lightly!! Glad you are better now
    Posted 01-02-2008 at 09:43 by harwood red harwood red is offline
  4. Old Comment
    slinky's Avatar
    Oh I had this over xmas and new year too Not good. I got the " other end " first. Then when then went I got the vertigo feeling in my head for 24 hours. THEN I got the body won't do it all at once and enjoys making me suffer.
    Posted 01-02-2008 at 16:19 by slinky slinky is offline

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..

All times are GMT. The time now is 16:10.


Page generated in 0.36173 seconds with 20 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1