Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57   #136

Re: gypsys

thank you for your support - i understand and think what you saying is correct. there is good in bad in everyone.

whilst some travvellers may travel and some be pulled at sites and others in houses. they are travellers because of their cultutre not whether they move about or not.

i just believe every individual deserves a chance no matter what race colour creed or culture.

xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Some travellers have moved into houses on the lower end of Exchange St . Accy .

I asked a friend who lives amongst them about them .

He said that the local yobs who used to congregate at the corner of Exchange St and Fairfield St had disappeared since their arrival . He has no problems with them , and is pleased that they seem to be a deterrent to anti-social behaviour .

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52   #137
JFT96

Many many years ago, I sold cars for a living, one August in the mid 90's we had a Traveller/Gypsy come in to our showroom. He was in his mid 20's and decided to buy a £60,000.00 Mercedes Benz SL280. We had to de-badge it and replace the badges with SL600 and V12 decals.

The night before he collected it, he asked me to organise fitting his stereo (in those days Mercedes did not fit one as standard), I told him we would try and he brought in several large boxes containing Sub Woofer, speakers and the unit itself, being 4.40pm I told him that we could drop the head unit in, but if he wanted the rest he would have to do a deal with the mechanic, he offered him £20.00 to do the lot. Our mechanic politely declined, the customer was not very happy, I did mention if he was prepared to give our lad a few £100, then he would happily work into the night, the customer was amazed at that!

Anyway the next day he and his girlfriend arrive, very scruffily dressed, she in white high heels, and two Tesco Bags full of £10.00 notes.
Our accountant was not happy at having to count £59,000.00 cash, (he had left £1000.00 deposit in used £10.00 notes as well), still it was interesting.

The gentleman and his girl spent most of the day playing with the roof of the car and trying to persuade the mechanics to fit his stereo for nothing.

This guy and his fellow travellers, did not pay any taxes, everything was in cash. Interesting culture.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:55   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Anyway the next day he and his girlfriend arrive, very scruffily dressed, she in white high heels, and two Tesco Bags full of £10.00 notes.
Our accountant was not happy at having to count £59,000.00 cash, (he had left £1000.00 deposit in used £10.00 notes as well), still it was interesting.
Fifty Nine thousand in readys? I wonder how much lead off how many church roofs that equates to?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09   #139

Ha ha quite a funny story

Yes some pay tax some dont but tbh the ones who dont dont tend to use public services anyway

And plenty of 'us' dont pay taxes either! we all see the stories in the paper lol xx

Quote:
Many many years ago, I sold cars for a living, one August in the mid 90's we had a Traveller/Gypsy come in to our showroom. He was in his mid 20's and decided to buy a £60,000.00 Mercedes Benz SL280. We had to de-badge it and replace the badges with SL600 and V12 decals.

The night before he collected it, he asked me to organise fitting his stereo (in those days Mercedes did not fit one as standard), I told him we would try and he brought in several large boxes containing Sub Woofer, speakers and the unit itself, being 4.40pm I told him that we could drop the head unit in, but if he wanted the rest he would have to do a deal with the mechanic, he offered him £20.00 to do the lot. Our mechanic politely declined, the customer was not very happy, I did mention if he was prepared to give our lad a few £100, then he would happily work into the night, the customer was amazed at that!

The gentleman and his girl spent most of the day playing with the roof of the car and trying to persuade the mechanics to fit his stereo for nothing.

This guy and his fellow travellers, did not pay any taxes, everything was in cash. Interesting culture.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:11   #140

may I also comment that a few months ago the some travellers pulled up on their way back from appleby at church traffic lights. I think there were 3 or 4 trailers plus vans and cars.

It was interesting to see that when tey shifted there was not one piece of rubbish left or litter. and all their belongings had been taken, and their neatly bagged garbage was left with the car parts business at the side.

Very respectful I thought. And proves a lot of people wrong.

Old 12-01-2011, 13:27   #141
Senior Member+

Quote:
Bet you couldnt do that nowadays.

Suppose it shows dont judge a book by its cover.
Old 12-01-2011, 19:14   #142
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Bet you couldnt do that nowadays.

Suppose it shows dont judge a book by its cover.
Na he'd pay ya in lead these days
Old 13-01-2011, 11:19   #143

you'd be suprised!

Old 13-01-2011, 11:36   #144
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancashire Lassie View Post
you'd be suprised!
Not really
Old 13-01-2011, 13:11   #145
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Na he'd pay ya in lead these days
Or Copper.

I was more refering to paying for something with that amount of cash.

Questions should be asked where the money come from.
Old 13-01-2011, 13:22   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Or Copper.

I was more refering to paying for something with that amount of cash.

Questions should be asked where the money come from.
Majority of them from working hard and spending little. its a lot cheaper to live in a trailer than a house

Old 13-01-2011, 13:30   #147
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Majority of them from working hard and spending little.
But not all, we've all got our black sheep haven't we ?

BBC News - Roma rights campaigner jailed for £2.9m benefits scam
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:47   #148
Senior Member+

Quote:
Majority of them from working hard and spending little. its a lot cheaper to live in a trailer than a house
Its not That I think they wouldnt have the money.

Its more the way having that money(In cash) is looked upon now by business.

HM Revenue & Customs: How to report a suspicious transaction or activity
Old 13-01-2011, 16:28   #149

Well they dont tend to use banks (unless their businesses are huge) as they dont really trust them plus as some have stated before some dont pay taxes. but what they dont pay in taxes probably covers the publics services they dont bother to use so not much impact or affect on us.

Old 13-01-2011, 16:29   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
But not all, we've all got our black sheep haven't we ?

BBC News - Roma rights campaigner jailed for £2.9m benefits scam

yep naughty naughty theres black sheep everywhere lols xx

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..