Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2019, 08:42   #76
Junior Member+

Re: church

Dad worked at James Hindle Limited in Bridge Street Church from January 1929 to April 1936. He was initially 'book-keeper' but told of going out to get orders too. They were timber merchants. Where can I found out more about this firm?
Robindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2019, 17:29   #77

I am looking at finding information on the buildings that were on the opposite side of the "20 Steps" next to the canal. They were on the opposite side of the canal to the kilns. I can see in OS maps that they were there at vaious times but not now and would like any info at all about when and what, who owned them.
Thanks in advance,
Graham
Graham UU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:52   #78

I think that the buildings were a dye works. There was also a house on the site.
Graham UU likes this.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 13:01   #79
Junior Member+

My grandma and grandad lived at 60 York Street and I used to spend all my school holidays there in the 1970 and early 1980's. I used to play football on the street, no doubt annoying everyone who lived close by. There was a school across the road which has now been demolished. I remember the summers were so hot the tar between the cobbles on the 'backs' used to go soft. I would go down to the canal and play near the swing bridge, and also the church before the gravestones became unsafe. A lot of my mum's ancestors were buried there. My grandma and grandad were called Cavannagh, and we had relatives in Church called Embley on my grandmas side. I remember the butchers on York Street and a weird little paper shop with piles of papers and magazines piled up and an old white haired lady who sat behind the counter. I remember the smell of The 'Bone Works' as my grandma called it wafting over the canal in summer. They had a coal fire in every room in the early 70's and I would sit in front of the fire with my grandad Bill toasting crumpets with long toasting forks. He used to make shadow animals on the walls with his hands. The memories.....

Last edited by Craig B; 27-10-2019 at 13:03.
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote

« Life in Church | - »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..