Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2004, 08:18   #61

Re: church

That looks more like a trestle than a viaduct. How old is the image?
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2004, 08:19   #62
God Member

Excellent photograph, Atarah...........I'm pretty sure thats the one I've seen elsewhere before. From an architectural & engineering viewpoint it does'nt quite tie in with the style that we're used to, but I believe it was originally designed like that to minimise the weight load on the soft ground below. The view is from roughly Blackburn Rd.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 08:21   #63
Senior Member+

Hi, the railway was brought over the canal at Aspen by a bridge and then across Aspen Valley on a bridge of wooden trestles carrying a single line 70 feet above the stream. It was built on piles in a trestle form because the ground provided a poor foundation for masonry. It was almost destroyed by fire before it came into use May 1848. Clever stuff, eh?

Last edited by Atarah; 17-09-2004 at 08:31.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 08:40   #64

Lovely Piccy Atarah...That's the one I've seen before.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 13:11   #65
Junior Member+

hi linda
im malc capsticks niece, and he aint changed, he still lives in accrington, now hes an antique dealer and landlord, hes not as bad as he used to be, single man still intouch with the armstrongs larrence and brian, hope your well take care xx jackie haworth
jackiehaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 17:44   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiehaworth View Post
hi linda
im malc capsticks niece, and he aint changed, he still lives in accrington, now hes an antique dealer and landlord, hes not as bad as he used to be, single man still intouch with the armstrongs larrence and brian, hope your well take care xx jackie haworth
Have you seen the date on this thread its 2004
Old 10-05-2011, 22:51   #67
Senior Member+

Really interesting though x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:43   #68
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Really interesting though x
Well it is if your called Bee june
Old 10-07-2011, 21:41   #69
Junior Member+

Was the bank across from the post office in the 1950s called the Trustess savings bank
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 22:51   #70
Senior Member+

Just gonna look in an old book I have

Last edited by Atarah; 10-07-2011 at 22:55.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:25   #71
Senior Member+

Come on Atarah, get a move on girl. . In 1951 there were branches of the Manchester & County,the District, the Midland & the Union Bank of Manchester.One of these would later become ( I think) Martin's. I don't recall a TSB, which in those days was the Blackburn TSB. The PO was in Market St.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:32   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
Was the bank across from the post office in the 1950s called the Trustess savings bank
Think it was still there in the early 70s, can remember cashing a check there from a job I did, nearly sure it was TSB
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18   #73
Resident Waffler

Yes it was the TSB. It was number 10 Market Street. I worked there. It was originally Blackburn Trustee Savings Bank and then later amalgamated with others to become Lancashire and Cumbria TSB. In the early days the upstairs was a flat which was rented out, as was the case with many branches of the BTSB. The same front door was used but then inside there was a locked side door which led through to the bank which was downstairs. The stairs led directly up from the entrance hallway (lobby) into the flat. There was also a cellar which constrantly had to be pumped dry of water or it would fill to a level of about 3 feet.

At night when we worked late once a year for the annual balance we would see armies of cockroaches marching across from the post office to the bank and back! The fumes from Blythes used to corode the brass door fittings and at times the stink was horrendous. Oh happy days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes it was the TSB. It was number 10 Market Street. I worked there. It was originally Blackburn Trustee Savings Bank and then later amalgamated with others to become Lancashire and Cumbria TSB. In the early days the upstairs was a flat which was rented out, as was the case with many branches of the BTSB. The same front door was used but then inside there was a locked side door which led through to the bank which was downstairs. The stairs led directly up from the entrance hallway (lobby) into the flat. There was also a cellar which constrantly had to be pumped dry of water or it would fill to a level of about 3 feet.

At night when we worked late once a year for the annual balance we would see armies of cockroaches marching across from the post office to the bank and back! The fumes from Blythes used to corode the brass door fittings and at times the stink was horrendous. Oh happy days.
Ah that purple writing, nice to see you post on here again Willow, hope you stick around
Old 30-12-2018, 18:10   #75
Junior Member+

Its been over 40 years since I left Church, and I return about a year ago What as happen I used to live at 13 Henry St, then 12 Water St they both gone, thank goodness the house in Regent Rd up Dill Hall is still there.
HOTPOT47 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Life in Church | - »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..