Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2015, 20:32   #76

Re: Church's Historic Waterfront

Also for the photo you included. The Google Street Map with Pearl Court shows me that Dr Harbinsons Surgery and the Antley pub were not so far from Church District. The Antley Methodist Church seems to have survived. Coincidentally, it was in the Graveyard of a disused Methodist Church in Bury [Unsworth] where I found a Walsh grave as a part of the chain leading me to Church District!

Incidentally, I do think it's a good that a local Doctor is remembered in this way, even if the memory is painful for some. The building where my doctor [probaly very similar] had his practise in Bury when I was a child in the fifties is still there, at the start of Wash Lane on the right as you head for the Motorway.
Dave

I meant to include all this in the last posting but I keep forgetting there is only ten minutes editing time allowed in this Forum and I'm more used to twenty.
[It's not a complaint Mods]
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2015, 04:52   #77
Senior Member+

Hi Dave Walsh, does this help in anyway? This view is looking towards Church traffic lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackburn road area 2008_016.JPG (437.9 KB, 34 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:13   #78
Senior Member+

Bank on it - Atarah will come up with a, pic.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:24   #79
Senior Member+

Looks like I got that wrong then, sign on that pic says Newark St.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26   #80
Senior Member+

I think the photo is of the old Antley foundry offices.
Long gone now.

Edit, sorry, got it wrong, the office is further down.
I should stop posting on line at this unearthly hour.

Last edited by Gremlin; 02-06-2015 at 07:29.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:25   #81

This is a big help with my learning curve so thanks all. Like researching family history you often have to revise a first impression. So if I have this right [probaly not] Atarah's photo [same as Tea Leaf back in post 1*] is the Doctors Surgery... now Pearl Court?
Dave

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 02-06-2015 at 11:28.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:29   #82
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walsh View Post
This is a big help with my learning curve so thanks all. Like researching family history you often have to revise a first impression. So if I have this right [probaly not] Atarah's photo [same as Tea Leaf back in post 1*] is the Antley Pub now Pearl Court?
Dave

No, my mistake sorry. Atarahs pic shows it is at the bottom of Newark street not pearl street, Newark street is one block closer to church.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36   #83

Sorry if I've confused you gpick. I changed that post from pub to Surgery after looking at the picture of the Antley as a Muslim Centre.
Does that make a difference? Is Pearl Court correct or do you mean it's actually Newark Street?
Dave

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 02-06-2015 at 11:38.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:14   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The Antley Pub (Thwaites House) was on the bottom corner of Newark St, just off the last picture atarah posted. It was later supposed to become a muslim girls school,or so the sign said, but fer some reason it never came to pass,
Old 03-06-2015, 12:54   #85

Cheers Cashman-that clears it up for me!
Dave W
Old 26-06-2016, 01:54   #86

The title of the photo shown is Dr Harbinson. Which one of his surgery's does thios belong too. He had two - one at West End and opne just off Blackburn Rd, he also was in partnership with a "Dr Stewart"
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 23:27   #87
Full Member+

My Mum and Dad used to run the Antley, in fact the last they did before my Dad had to retire.
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 04:24   #88
Senior Member+

A pal of mine took it over in the 60s. It was his first pub. He was shocked to find loads of cockroaches in the cellar and phoned the area manager for advice. It was - find some lads to catch a frog and put it down there. He did and got rid of the cockroaches.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..