Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2004, 22:57   #1
Senior Member+

Area around Stag Pub

Found these photos, first one taken by Owd Bert in February of this year, the second one, not so clear, but ... better than nothing. It shows the properties near The Stag Pub, in particular the County Police Station built c1882.

I never knew there had been all these buildings .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChurchClockbyowdbert.jpg (72.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg policebuildings_resize.jpg (97.4 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 28-08-2004 at 23:00.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-09-2004, 16:29   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Area around Stag Pub

I remember those buildings - the photograph must have been taken before the clock was put up, as there is a lamppost where it now is.

Reading from the Stag, the first shop front was Libbertons Printworks, the second was the Darby & Joan Club, run by the WVS. Over the frontage is carved "County Mart", can't remember the date, but it seems to have been a co-op once.

We must have been a lawless lot, to merit such a magnificent Magistrates Court and Police Station!

Does anyone know what the clock was for or to commemorate? Must have a look next time I'm there (before I go into the Stag, me eyes don't work any too well on the way out!).
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 16:09   #3

hi,I remember the old police station at church.Most of the police lived in the houses
ajoining the station.As for the clock,it was payed for by Mr.Wilson who was chairman
of the church council.He lived in church all his life.On his death,his wife gave their
house which overlooked rishton to churchkirk church.The vicar at the time lived in it for sometime,then said it was not good enough thats when the vicarage on blackburn
rd,was bought.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 16:37   #4
God Member

What date would the purchase of the new Vicarage be, George?
Old 13-09-2004, 13:46   #5

I think the purchase of the vicarage would be early 60s.The shops along the side
of the police station were owned by the Co Op,before Libbertons.
Old 13-09-2004, 14:05   #6
Senior Member+

Area around Stag Pub

Oh! cant find any photos of co-op in that area, but found this one on Market Street. Bit small, sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooponmarketstreet.jpg (26.7 KB, 81 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 11:47   #7

There was also a Co Op on York St, at the corner of France St, i worked after school
in the butchers shop on Market St, helping to clean and take out orders.I got
2 shillings a week plus tips if i was lucky.
Old 14-09-2004, 11:54   #8
Resting in peace

I remember the Co-Op on York Street. I loved it. The smells of coffee, bacon and assorted good things was almost edible! I remember my mother sitting on a bentwood chair, with her order book, and Mr Watsit in his blue? overall collecting everything together, and the wonderful smell as he ground the coffee, cutting and patting the butter, and slicing the bacon ... then the boy would bring the order round in the basket on the front of his bike. Don't forget the divi slip - I had to remember two Co-Op numbers, my mothers and my aunts, and woe betide if I got them wrong! Shopping was certainly better in those days than the supermarket is now. The butchers was Charnleys in my day, Ted and Rene, did great potted meat.
Old 22-09-2004, 17:03   #9
land of hope and glory

did you know the stag was built before the 1690 and the first recorded landlord was a relative of the dreaded judge walmsley
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 17:52   #10
Resident Waffler

This is just across the road (more or less - behind Osby as was) from the Stag. Anybody know what it was? Busman and I are intrigued. It looks like a bricked up gaol cell for very wide prisoners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grid.jpg (87.6 KB, 88 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2004, 18:18   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
This is just across the road (more or less - behind Osby as was) from the Stag. Anybody know what it was? Busman and I are intrigued. It looks like a bricked up gaol cell for very wide prisoners.
Nice picture Willow, very interesting and I’m certainly intrigued. May I suggest an Ice House Perhaps?

Any chance of a group of photos for this type of subject matter?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 08:54   #12
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
did you know the stag was built before the 1690 and the first recorded landlord was a relative of the dreaded judge walmsley
In fact the Stag is a 14th century coaching inn, and the council wanted to knock it down when they redeveloped the area!! My friend Kitty, who is a member of the local history society, told me that it was only saved because in the side wall is one of the very few postboxes from Queen Victoria's time - it has VR on the box. Originally it had an arch in the middle for the coaches to drive through (the pub, not the postbox!)

At least one potential act of council vandalism averted.
Old 23-09-2004, 17:17   #13
land of hope and glory

it is rumoured that oliver cromwell met with his higher ranking officers at the stag before going on to battle at preston.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 17:31   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
it is rumoured that oliver cromwell met with his higher ranking officers at the stag before going on to battle at preston.

Oliver Cromwell was certainlyactive across the area of church before the battle of Preston, He was also rumoured to have ordered the beheading of two monks at the gate’s of Church Kirk. I must add that the tales that the heads over the door at the Kirk represent these two unfortunates are probably two early in there representation. I have some recent photos of the heads, but as always I can’t get the bl**dy things up.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 17:49   #15
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
but as always I can’t get the bl**dy things up.
What's the problem there Doug?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..