Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2004, 08:46   #1
Senior Member+

The Canal

Hi, we all take the canal at Church, and elsewhere for granted, but just listen to this ...

One of the most important undertakings of the 18th century was the construction of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The canal is 103.3/4miles long and in July 1770, work began at both ends. In May 1796, the canal was opened between Burnley and Enfield, and the length between Enfield and Blackburn opened in June 1810 and the whole length in October 1816. The canal took 46 years in construction and cost £1,200,000.

The canal speedily became a popular means of travelling. Passenger boats, known as Packet Boats, Packet Inns, and Packet Houses became popular. At nights the boats were illuminated by oil lamps and very often a musician on board. Generally, a local fiddler travelled from one Packet Station to another and back again by boat, hoping that passengers would throw a copper or two into "hat"
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-11-2004, 15:13   #2
Resting in peace

Re: The Canal

It sounds wonderful, Atarah - why can't we have that now? I am still working on the idea of an Accywebbers trip down the canal - I don't think they can do you for being drunk in charge of a barge!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 16:28   #3
Resident Waffler

Have you checked out Foulridge to see if they still do trips from there?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 17:28   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Have you checked out Foulridge to see if they still do trips from there?
they do was over there 2 weeks ago.
Old 21-01-2007, 10:47   #5

I think you can still get barge trips from Botany Bay near Chorley. They come with driver included so everyone can enjoy it and get ****ed.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 11:19   #6
God Member

you can still get them in the summer from eanam
Old 21-01-2007, 11:26   #7
Senior Member+

Its a shame as its now used as a dumping ground for trollies and cars.

I remember not to long ago when they drained part of the canal at blackburn. that was a mad site.
Old 21-01-2007, 11:28   #8
God Member

The Marton Emporor runs all year round allegedly !!

http://www.bardenmillshop.co.uk/
Old 21-01-2007, 11:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Its a shame as its now used as a dumping ground for trollies and cars.

I remember not to long ago when they drained part of the canal at blackburn. that was a mad site.

yeah they drained it near the infirmary, it looked awful
Old 21-01-2007, 14:50   #10
Junior Member+

Sections of the canal have to be drained during the winter for essential maintenance works (fitting new lock gates, cills etc.) to be carried out. Quite a busy period for them as works on t'cut.
nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 17:40   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

love going for walks on the canal in the summer, once walked to blackburn from ossy and we were all knackered took about 4/5 hours to get there.....lol
Old 22-01-2007, 07:57   #12
Resident Waffler

I've walked from Accrington to Burnley along the canal. Don't know how far that is but it took a while. Nice walk though. Rishton to Clayton isn't too bad - done that one quite a bit. It's funny when you're alongside the canal it feels like you could be miles away from the towns you walk through, gives you a totally different view of the area.

I remember when they drained the bit near Asda in Blackburn and dragged all the rubbish out. Why do people chuck shopping trolleys into canals???

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 09:27   #13
Junior Member+

Trolleys, cars, bikes, tyres, dead dogs, bodies, bags of kittens.....
nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 12:16   #14

It's great to cycle on the canal during summer when it's warm and the breeze blows in your face. You can stop of at several pubs on route and have a pint........my type of day out !
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 12:22   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
It's great to cycle on the canal during summer when it's warm and the breeze blows in your face. You can stop of at several pubs on route and have a pint........my type of day out !

i like taking reece on the canal on our bikes, we cycle down to the hare and hounds at ossy and head for blackburn, we get off at the range (what used to be b&q), going through rishton, it takes just over 2 hours

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..