Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2007, 13:05   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
It's great to cycle on the canal during summer when it's warm and the breeze blows in your face. You can stop of at several pubs on route and have a pint........my type of day out !
Hope you dont drink to much.

I know wouldnt like to fall in to the canal.
Old 22-01-2007, 16:16   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we often walk church- rishton on a sunny afternoon with oscar, pop up to the roebuck in rishton and sit at the picnic tables with a drink, before the return journey, as willow says a walk on the cut gives a differant perspective of the towns.
Old 22-01-2007, 22:22   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as willow says a walk on the cut gives a differant perspective of the towns.
Is that what 'the cut' means Cashman? always wondered.

Hey, made me look it up and says 'other channel of water, from the idea that it was cut out of the earth'

Sometimes, you take names for granted, without really thinking what they mean, even though they are obvious.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 23:47   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Hey, made me look it up and says 'other channel of water, from the idea that it was cut out of the earth'

Sometimes, you take names for granted, without really thinking what they mean, even though they are obvious.
see,bet ya didnt know i was educated.
Old 23-01-2007, 12:15   #20

You want to try going in the opposite direction towards Burnley, I think it's a lot more picturesque.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 12:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i like taking reece on the canal on our bikes, we cycle down to the hare and hounds at ossy and head for blackburn, we get off at the range (what used to be b&q), going through rishton, it takes just over 2 hours
Ever headed in the direction of Burnley, the countryside is a lot better ?
Old 23-01-2007, 12:26   #22
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That made me think about Cut Wood in Rishton.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 18:26   #23

Smile Re: The Canal

I'm cycling from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal over 2 days and I know Church is the official midpoint. (127 miles total) Anyone know of any memorials or things to see connected with the canal in Church to mark the achievement of the navvies and the engineers?
bikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 19:04   #24
Senior Member+

The Rishton histyorian Kathleen Broderick told me that Cut Wood, Rishton has niothing to do with the '.cut' being the name for the canal. It was so called long before the canal came through.
I like hill walking along any canal bank. The Lancaster Canal runs from Preston to South of Kendal through great countryside.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikers View Post
I'm cycling from Liverpool to Leeds along the canal over 2 days and I know Church is the official midpoint. (127 miles total) Anyone know of any memorials or things to see connected with the canal in Church to mark the achievement of the navvies and the engineers?
There is a marker at the half way point which incorporates figures drawn by children at the nearby St Nicholas school, and a broad band of cobbles which stretches across the towpath.
Old 10-01-2012, 14:45   #26
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
There is a marker at the half way point which incorporates figures drawn by children at the nearby St Nicholas school, and a broad band of cobbles which stretches across the towpath.
As an apprentice at Lang Bridge I cycled with a chap called Ted Riley on a tandem from the bridge at Whalley rd Clayton to Steiners at Church then accross to India st and up Lonsdale st and then back at 5.30. One morning in spring we got a wobble on and finished in the canal still when't on to work very wet.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 21:05   #27

You would have to get off your bike at Enfield wharf to get to the other side of the cut, to carry on to Church,
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 22:10   #28
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
You would have to get off your bike at Enfield wharf to get to the other side of the cut, to carry on to Church,
There is also a tunnel at gannow in Burnley which you cannot go through,just follow the road to the large roundabout go under on the paths and over the hill,when you get to the top of the hill you can see the canal again and it's all down hill from there.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:21   #29
Junior Member+

the canal is a great place to get away from it all just wish it was a bit easier to walk on we need better foot paths @ more places to sit along the way cus if you are a more mature person its nice to sit and relax here @ there
paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 23:05   #30

Atarah. We used to own Church Motors that operated from the old wharf. Used to see barges coming from Blackburn loaded with munitions, but covered with tarpaulin. The bargees had a few potatoes on the roof of the accommodation section. The local lads used to ask what they were carrying. "Bloody spuds again" Came the reply. So the locals used to say "More spuds for Adolph Hitler"
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..