Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2009, 14:27   #1
Senior Member+

I have a problem with windows

Well, the problem that I have is that it appears that my copy of windows is not genuine (think somebody has changed the windows on this laptop since i bought it 2 yrs ago ) I have the genuine key thingie on a windows sticker on the bottom of my laptop (am guessing that this is what was on it when i bought it) Is there an easy way to put this key in so i stop getting this message and windows asking me to authenticate the version that I have?

I have backed up what i can think of onto a memory stick but dont really want to loose everything - programmes, microsoft office etc.

Any help would be appreciated, and please keep it simple

tia
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2009, 14:52   #2
God Member

Re: I have a problem with windows

just google " latest wga fix" and follow the instructions

your xp will no be able to go back to how u like it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 14:55   #3
God Member

click where it says WGA 1.9.9.1 Fix (960.9 KiB, 40,607 hits)

download and extract the file then runn as it says to in the instructions ( right clickselect extract)

Latest Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) 1.9.9.1 Fix Download | Be Techdated with Technize

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 27-05-2009, 14:58   #4
God Member

Get IT Done: Change the product key on Windows XP

obviously needs you to be a little brave in editing teh registry or get one of teh local helpfuls with time to pop round to do it for you.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 15:11   #5
Senior Member+

Will i loose what I already have on my laptop? - Programmes, drivers etc

Sorry, am a bit simple when it comes to these kinds of things

And

Will i be able to use the key on the bottom of my laptop eventhough its been registered before (but was too my laptop) ?

Told you i'm pants lol
Old 27-05-2009, 15:25   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Get IT Done: Change the product key on Windows XP

obviously needs you to be a little brave in editing the registry or get one of teh local helpfuls with time to pop round to do it for you.
its more than likely the key on the laptop is for home and whats on now is professional so changing the key wont help much

on the key sticker it shoud say wether its for home or professional

if it says home and you have profesional installed dont bother messing with the registry it wont work

regardless if you use the wga fix you will get updates and its a lot easier to do yourself if your in a hurry

either way you wont loose drivers or data but if you screw teh registry up thats when you will start getting problems

Last edited by accyman; 27-05-2009 at 15:29.
Old 27-05-2009, 15:36   #7
Senior Member+

It says its windows XP media centre edition 2005 = Means absolutely nothing to me
Old 27-05-2009, 15:59   #8
God Member

Just hand the laptop over to the twins and I bet they have it sussed in no time. hahaha
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 16:47   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
Just hand the laptop over to the twins and I bet they have it sussed in no time. hahaha
When they touch it theres keys popping off everywhere lol

It aint good
Old 27-05-2009, 17:40   #10

Hi Emzy

I'm having the same problem and windows XP was pre-installed onto my laptop when I bought it from Comet over 2 years ago.

I have tried to 'fix this problem' through the link that keeps popping up on my screen but the only option is to buy another version of windows for over £90.

It's driving me NUTS!
Old 27-05-2009, 18:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
It says its windows XP media centre edition 2005 = Means absolutely nothing to me
Does the sticker say that or the computer say that ? If the sticker and computer don't match the only (legal) option is to uninstall the one you are using and installing the one you have paid for
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 18:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Does the sticker say that or the computer say that ? If the sticker and computer don't match the only (legal) option is to uninstall the one you are using and installing the one you have paid for

My sticker says windows XP media centre edition 2005 yet my computer says windows XP professional version 2002 service pack 2.

How can this happen?
Old 27-05-2009, 19:04   #13
God Member

yep, someones 'upgraded' you.

I'm pretty sure that to fix it 'correctly' you need to re-install windows using the correct recovery partition/disk. not particularly fun but TBH in most cases you will see a perf benefit as you will only re-install teh stuff you currently use rather than teh crap that you have accumulated over teh years. this will seem to make windows much quicker.

Such is teh joys of different levels of Windows with different features.

You see with Linux you get teh full fat, fully featured version irrespctive of what you install or what you install it on.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:14   #14

Who would have upgraded me and why would they 'upgrade' me to an older version?

Sometimes.... I really hate computers.
Old 27-05-2009, 19:17   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
Who would have upgraded me and why would they 'upgrade' me to an older version?

Sometimes.... I really hate computers.
if you bought it second hand its more than likely they put on a pirate copy which would have been totaly fine before they started with the wga authentication

just do as i said above and your set to go

ask emzy it takes 2 mins

some people get a warning and it turns their desktop to picture to plain black , once you have used teh wga fix you can put it back to how you like it

also teh majority of shops that pop up repairing computers use pirate copies especially those down blackburn road etc so if you bought one there then %90 chance your gonna need teh wga fix if they havnt put it on already

theres a guy on here suffering because he bought a laptop which went faulty and also had a pirate copy of vista on

Last edited by accyman; 27-05-2009 at 19:22.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..