Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2009, 22:48   #31
Senior Member+

Re: I have a problem with windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
OK, serious Q

I as a software developer make money as my living by writing software. How do yo feel telling my daughter that I can't take her out this weekend because people would rather pirate software than pay for it?

There are free options ( I wil happily install linux if you drop your PC off at my house or you can do it yourself..) so to say you have no option is no longer valid....

just like people on here wouldn't dream of ripping of Kipax's pictures of Stanley, why should I let software be so openly pirated? Its my job and how I make money? something thatI have spent many years learning how to do..... yet you feel its OK to use it "cause I can't afford money like that"......

I'm not having a go at you per se, simply people think its a victimless crime but it aint!

I paid for windows when i bought my laptop, why should i pay again when its decided it no longer likes my version??
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2009, 23:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if you bought it second hand its more than likely they put on a pirate copy which would have been totaly fine before they started with the wga authentication

just do as i said above and your set to go

ask emzy it takes 2 mins

some people get a warning and it turns their desktop to picture to plain black , once you have used teh wga fix you can put it back to how you like it

also teh majority of shops that pop up repairing computers use pirate copies especially those down blackburn road etc so if you bought one there then %90 chance your gonna need teh wga fix if they havnt put it on already

theres a guy on here suffering because he bought a laptop which went faulty and also had a pirate copy of vista on
I bought it brand new from Comet, it hasn't been anywhere else. That's why I can't understand why it would appear NOT to be a genuine copy. Confused???? Yes I am.
Old 27-05-2009, 23:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
If you have a legitimate copy of Windows and you are using the correct license key (or the one assigned to your PC if it was pre-installed), then there's no issue at all with Windows.
Yes there is!
Old 28-05-2009, 00:15   #34
God Member

there was abug in service pack two or an update shortly afyerwardsthat prevented updates installing

if you havnt got service pack 3 install that and see if it helps

you can download it from microsoft.com downloads section if you cant use windows update

if that fails use teh last wgafix i posted a couple of replies ago( not the forst one i cant remove that one )

http://h1.ripway.com/accyman/xpvalidate/WGA_1991.zip

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-05-2009 at 00:18.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 02:29   #35

Quote:

There are free options ( I wil happily install linux if you drop your PC off at my house or you can do it yourself..) so to say you have no option is no longer valid....

!
So why not offer your services in the first place, rather than going on about how good linux is.

If you can get your head around windows you can sure use linux, it's just most people only access a pc or laptop on windows, and cause they get used to a so called complicated system they are too scared to change.

I wish more people like you would offer their time to get people to change to something more stable, but why try and ram it down their throats, most people aren't interested. Make the offer, don't preach.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 06:47   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
there was abug in service pack two or an update shortly afyerwardsthat prevented updates installing

if you havnt got service pack 3 install that and see if it helps

you can download it from microsoft.com downloads section if you cant use windows update

if that fails use teh last wgafix i posted a couple of replies ago( not the forst one i cant remove that one )

http://h1.ripway.com/accyman/xpvalidate/WGA_1991.zip
Heh so a Windows 'fix' breaks the OS for people in such a way they can't get updates.....

You can't make it up.

Re Odders

You will find if you look back over my > 6K posts that I do offer help to pretty much anyone who asks for it and have been advocating Linux on here for years. As an example less than a month ago I spent over 30 hours of my time fixing a properly broken PC for a friends mum to ensure she didn't lose any data etc.

Ram it down peoples throats, nope, you will find its almost my signature quote on here and people take it as such.

Emzy, you have a legit copy but many people don't. the fact is that you have currently got installed( without your knowledge) a pirated copy of a version that cost a lot more than the version you have paid for. 'Hacking' the WGA to make it work still leaves you in a dodgy position. One of the very reasons I got into Linux was that I didn't want to be using pirated software but at the time couldn't afford a legit version of Windows so I looked for an alternative. At the time that was Mandrake 6 ( 1999 ) I've been Linux since.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 08:49   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
but the problem is that people who 'help' when u have issue install dodgy copies etc as is clear frm this an other threads.

The simple fact is there are so many 'versions' of windows that people don't often know what they have

e.g

XP
Home
Media Centre
Professional
Vista basic
Vista home premium

I give up

Whereas Linux... install one version and you have access to it all...........
That's twoddle Ian, there are more versions of Linux than all the versions of windows that Microsoft have ever released.
Old 29-05-2009, 16:16   #38
Roy
Administrator

Just for fun, I'll add some reasons to use the good old apple osx operating system.
No serial numbers. No product keys. No copy protection.
It just works. So apple don't even annoy their legitimate customers, which it seems most people are in this thread.
Oh, and if you know linux, you'll have no problem with it as the kernel is near as dam it the same Win win win!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 16:27   #39
God Member

lol i would love to give an opinion on apple mac but seen as the price of a power supply is 10x that of a pc mine will be sitting dormant until further notice

based on teh 10 mins of use you can get out of it i can confirm the OS looks pretty lol

lol jsut for laughs

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-05-2009 at 16:34.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 21:02   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That's twoddle Ian, there are more versions of Linux than all the versions of windows that Microsoft have ever released.
Err, which 'version are you talking about. Linux doesn't do versions the same way as windows so its not easy to compare them.

e.g. which is the mpost important 'version' number, teh kernal version, teh Xorg version, gnome/KDE/IceWM version, etc. ??????

whilst we have distros labelled with numbers even these don't stay the same throughout a distro label e.g. in Ubuntu 8.04 I went through 3 kernal upgrades.

Gentoo linux doesn't even label itslef as its a continually updaing system so teh version I installed 5 years ago would still be only updated when and where packages are updated.

So to say it has more versions than Windows is inmcorrect, it offers more choice, that is all....
#
I'd agree with Roy, MAC OSX is lovely its just a shame that for teh same spec it costs 3X as much as a PC running Linux. not everyone can afford ( or wants to afford) that much of a premium.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 18:49   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Err, which 'version are you talking about. Linux doesn't do versions the same way as windows so its not easy to compare them.
Sorry should I have used a different word, maybe flavours or distros. If you want to start using Linux the first hurdle is which distro should I use. When you start googling for an answer you find that even Linux bods can't agree which is the best one to try out.
Old 02-06-2009, 17:16   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy
I have a problem with windows
So have I. How do you clean them without streaks?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 19:08   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
So have I. How do you clean them without streaks?
Vinegar and Brown Paper
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 19:40   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw
Vinegar and Brown Paper
I thought that was for when you fall down and break your crown.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 23:50   #45
Senior Member+

lol but isnt this about microsoft who have TOO MUCH money

its a little like music. I purchased a few tracks from a unsigned artist on itunes because i liked the music. Its the same for software products, If i like your product and going to use it often i would be willing to pay you for that more than i would to pay £300 for the operating system it runs on(going off that i dont use linux hehe, which i dont)

If XP or Vista was £50 everybody would have an official copy

Quote:
OK, serious Q

I as a software developer make money as my living by writing software. How do yo feel telling my daughter that I can't take her out this weekend because people would rather pirate software than pay for it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..