Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2020, 19:44   #16

Re: been told I need a new computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Rainbow six, Taddy is a Luddite....he has few computer skills....so putting his old hard drive to a new machine to transfer his files would be beyond his capability.
As for Windows 10...making it look like Windows 7 does not make it act like Windows 7.
Also, it maybe that many of the programs that Taddy has been using are no longer compatible with Windows 10...for some people(me included,) this presents a problem....if I can no longer open saved projects then a lot of my work is useless....and has to be done over in new programs....incurring another expense.

I hate Windows 10....I have really considered getting the xtra pc USB....this has Linux loaded on it and can be plugged in and this might be a better option for Taddy(cheaper and removable if it does not suit....and can be used on an old computer as long as it has USB port)
I have posted a link to this product....I have no commercial link with this company by the way.
Marge, your initial sentence is spot on, as for the rest of your comments they are way above my head but I am gradually learning, (hopefully).
Yours, Taddy, (the Lancashire Luddite).
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-02-2020, 09:33   #17
Beacon of light

That is the way to go...gradual learning....though I think you have left that a bit late.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 10:22   #18

Quote:
That is the way to go...gradual learning....though I think you have left that a bit late.
Thanks for that, I will try to take it as a complement.
Old 23-02-2020, 12:50   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I am gradually learning, (hopefully).
Yours, Taddy, (the Lancashire Luddite).

Just ask the kids, or failing that hit it with something, works for me!

mind you, the hitting it bit gets pricey.
taddy likes this.
Old 23-07-2020, 06:00   #20
Senior Member+

Did you ever get around to replacing the PC that is running XP?

If you're using a pc that is running XP since back in the day then its morethanlikely you should just buy a new pc! After 5 mins of using a newer pc you will be like... wow this is so much faster.

XP is a serious security risk. Do not use it online. 7 by now is prob under the same catagory as it is also longer officialy supported by microsoft.

Quote:
I hate Windows 10....I have really considered getting the xtra pc USB....this has Linux loaded on it and can be plugged in and this might be a better option for Taddy(cheaper and removable if it does not suit....and can be used on an old computer as long as it has USB port)
I have posted a link to this product....I have no commercial link with this company by the way.

you can just make your own bootable USB stick of linux!

Even this might not be good enough for the PC taddy was talking about because the hardware is going to be so old that its possible even the version of linux xtra provide might be too heavy. Might be better going for lubuntu -- but then again. The learning curve might be too steep for someone that is thinking "do i really need a new pc" when they are using a pc so old that it still has XP installed. I dunno.

Last edited by Restless; 23-07-2020 at 06:04. Reason: a
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:20   #21
Beacon of light

There speaks a man who knows his stuff.
Restless, Taddy is just in Baby school where computers are concerned.....and I say this respectfully because it is where we all started.
He even calls himself The Luddite.
Restless and taddy like this.
Old 23-07-2020, 19:08   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Did you ever get around to replacing the PC that is running XP?

Mate, I was right with you to this point (see above), the Tadmeister, is worse than me & that's by his own admission, so I think the answer to your question & suggestions is probably a big fat Nope!
Restless and taddy like this.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:10   #23

Even this might not be good enough for the PC taddy was talking about because the hardware is going to be so old that its possible even the version of linux xtra provide might be too heavy. Might be better going for lubuntu --but then again. The learning curve might be too steep for someone that is thinking "do i really need a new pc" when they are using a pc so old that it still has XP installed. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

HaHa, USB stick of Linux, Linux extra to heavy, lupuntu--but.
I have not a clue what you are trying to tell but thank you anyway.
I shall just put another shovel full of coal into the boiler that supplies the steam that operates my XP machine, at least for the time being.
I think that it is now time that I was back on my allotment, (no electronics needed).
Thank you all for trying to help, Your's the Lancashire Luddite.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Mate, I was right with you to this point (see above), the Tadmeister, is worse than me & that's by his own admission, so I think the answer to your question & suggestions is probably a big fat Nope!
Thanks for that Dave, Oh you are awful But I like you. (as Dick Emery used to say)
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 24-07-2020, 12:49   #25
Beacon of light

what I want to know Taddy is...where are you getting the coal?
Can't be from the railway embankment as the trains stopped running to Huncoat when God was in short trousers....around the same time the NCB shop at the bottom of burnley Rd closed.

I did tell him that he was talking a language that was foreign to you!
taddy likes this.
Old 25-07-2020, 10:38   #26

Hazel seems to recall the N.C.B. shop being on the left hand side of Little Blackburn Road, lower down than Wardleworths bookshop but will stand to be corrected; Maybe Atarah can help on this one.
As to your question "where are you getting your coal"? Wilkinson's of Great Harwood have been supplying our needs since we had a solid fuel stove fitted seven or eight years ago, burning only (smokeless) coal I must add, in case my Friendly neighbourhood busybody is reading this. You are right about "Restless's" post being a foreign language to me but then again it does not matter, my steam powered XP device serves me well enough at the moment.
Your's, Glad to be a Luddite.
Old 25-07-2020, 13:23   #27
Beacon of light

I used to walk down Burnley Road every school day on my way home.....and there was a coal shop at the bottom of Burnley Rd......it had baskets of different grades and types of coal in the window......now I thought it was the NCB shop, but I could be wrong...after all this would be in the region of 60+ years....I went to Peel Park until I was 11.....so Hazel could be right...but I know the shop advertised the NCB....it had the logo in the window.

Anyway as long as you get the fuel to keep your steam generated machine going...all is good.
Old 12-08-2020, 14:31   #28

In the late forties’ early fifties, we (on Belfield road) got our coal from a guy called Matison, or Mathison. He had his business across from Mosley’s bakery on Jacob Street.
Then we got electric fires fitted, so no reason for coal.
I also seem to recall early sixties, that somebody took a photo of Accrington from the top of the coppice in the forties with all the smoke in the atmosphere, and then mid-sixties and my what a difference there was.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:41   #29
Senior Member+

i was thinking lubuntu but then perhaps might even have to go to Puppy linux or DSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

Even this might not be good enough for the PC taddy was talking about because the hardware is going to be so old that its possible even the version of linux xtra provide might be too heavy. Might be better going for lubuntu --but then again. The learning curve might be too steep for someone that is thinking "do i really need a new pc" when they are using a pc so old that it still has XP installed. I dunno.
HaHa, USB stick of Linux, Linux extra to heavy, lupuntu--but.
I have not a clue what you are trying to tell but thank you anyway.
I shall just put another shovel full of coal into the boiler that supplies the steam that operates my XP machine, at least for the time being.
I think that it is now time that I was back on my allotment, (no electronics needed).
Thank you all for trying to help, Your's the Lancashire Luddite.[/QUOTE]
MITZY likes this.
Old 15-03-2021, 11:03   #30

My son and grandson turned up yesterday whilst I was firing up the boiler for my steam operated, belt driven computer.It is about time that you got shut of this and updated it; I can get you a brand new all singing all dancing set up for less than £500 my lad said;
I almost (ALMOST) agreed, until I found out that was purely for the hardware. When I questioned about "Windows Office Word",Google Earth, Etc, Oh that is a whole new ball game he said, they will cost over and above the £500. at this my Luddite skills kicked in (ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE), I gasped. By Eck I came very close to abandoning my ultra Luddite principles.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..