Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Crash Computers Chat
Donate! Join Today

Crash Computers Chat Let's talk computers! Got a problem with your computer? Need some advice? Got any great tips?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2021, 15:30   #31
Senior Member+

Re: been told I need a new computer

Seems a bit expensive Taddy, Google Earth is free nowadays and depending on what version of office you have you might be able to take your licence to a new computer, if not there are free alternatives to office anyway.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2021, 16:29   #32

[QUOTE=gpick24;1251660]Seems a bit expensive Taddy, Google Earth is free nowadays and depending on what version of office you have you might be able to take your licence to a new computer, if not there are free alternatives to office anyway

Thanks for that gpick, when I got this computer, (at the turn of the 21st Century), or it seems that long ago; The lad who installed it for me used an external hard drive to remove the software on my old woodburning computer and then transfered it to my new coal fired one. I presume that is what you refer to when you say that I may be able to take the licence to the new computer.
However when I mentioned this to my 52 year old ex army youngster all I got was some (good natured) abuse about my being known as the "Lancashire Luddite), followed by the title, Tight person,or words to that effect.
However I have decided that the more I spend on a new computer, the less I will have to carry on pursuing my other (chief) passion of Hobgoblin tasting.
All said in the best possible taste, Yours, the self confessed, Lancashire Luddite.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2022, 09:52   #33

I am typing this on my new all singing, all dancing nuclear powered machine, as was said in the first of the Christopher Reeves Superman movies, it is " faster than a speeding bullet". For those of you who know about such things it is a Lenovo computer with Windows 10 and Dolby audio system, a Lenovo wireless keyboard and an Acer twenty two inch monitor. What a difference to my old coal fired machine, I could well get more than a little interested in this new fangled technology with this fancy piece of electronic ware.
Thanks to all Accy Webbers for dragging me out of the Victorian Age and into the new electronic age.
Old 22-05-2022, 09:54   #34

But it still doesn't beat a couple or three Hobgoblins
Less and cashman like this.
Old 22-05-2022, 12:40   #35
Beacon of light

Well Done that man!
I am so pleased that you are finding it interesting and there may be glitches along the way, but you are going in the right direction...forward). Do not lose that curiosity...it will take you to places that you have never been...and there is nothing wrong with taking a few hobgoblins along with you for company.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 08:15   #36

Thank you Marge, at least now I have something of interest to while away my time when the weather stops me from being Mrs. Taddy's Fruit and vegetable supplier.
Yours, the graduated from infant school to junior school Lancashire Luddite.
Old 23-05-2022, 09:17   #37
Beacon of light

The bit that impresses me …..and gives me hope is ‘I have something of interest’……keep that in your mind.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 10:52   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Here's the test, I know your old computer couldn't, can your new one play this:-

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 16:35   #39

Thanks Marge, As long as my "75 year old brain/mind) allows me to do so then I will, this new fangled electronic wizardry is already teaching me how to spell and punctuate without having to look up words in my paper bound "Oxford English Dictionary", Yes that is as old as my steam driven computer was. Maybe in a few months I will be able too enter into the secondary modern or even the Grammar school class. Even some of the words in this post were corrected by this all knowing machine. Yours, the ever ready to learning Lancashire Luddite.
Old 23-05-2022, 16:40   #40

[QUOTE=Less;1266774]Here's the test, I know your old computer couldn't, can your new one play this:-

Yes, no problem but what does that imply, that is a serious question. yours, Taddy.
Old 24-05-2022, 17:48   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Thanks Marge, As long as my "75 year old brain/mind) allows me to do so then I will, this new fangled electronic wizardry is already teaching me how to spell and punctuate without having to look up words in my paper bound "Oxford English Dictionary", Yes that is as old as my steam driven computer was. Maybe in a few months I will be able too enter into the secondary modern or even the Grammar school class. Even some of the words in this post were corrected by this all knowing machine. Yours, the ever ready to learning Lancashire Luddite.
dont go grammer school taddy i passed my 11 plus and was refused entry.
Margaret Pilkington and taddy like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..