Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2011, 16:29   #1
Senior Member+

who do you think you are? two weeks ago

OMG! Cant believe I NEVER watched this.
Its the story of LARRY LAMB, known for being in East Enders and other TV programmes. Have just checked and cant find that anyone has posted about this.

Please watch the programme on BBC iplayer. Its amazing. This Larry Lamb's great great whatever was called DAY and was born HERE, in Accrington!!!!!
They were on Ellisons Tenement Accrington.
Wonderful programme!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2011, 16:34   #2
God Member

Re: who do you think you are? two weeks ago

i love it too Atarah but i missed that one, the last one i watched was Alan Carr
Old 22-09-2011, 17:07   #3
Senior Member+

Flashy, you MUST try and watch it. I have just watched it for a second time on iplayer. If you can't watch on your telly, "phone a friend" and try and watch it. I have to say, I think its the best one I have ever seen! Marvellous it is! The things they unearthed are brilliant!
The DAY's were travelling showmen and were on Ellisons tenement. The census they looked at shown that one of the DAY's was born here in Accrington.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 17:30   #4
God Member

I watched it and it was very informative about the the life of people who ran travelling fairs and menageries.

The programme didn't dwell much on the Ellisons tenement connection because it was just a few days of stopover at a venue, and the birth just happened to occur at that visit.

Although it was interesting to hear Accrington mentioned, the Day family were not shown to have connections here other than 'passing through'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 18:44   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I watched it and it was very informative about the the life of people who ran travelling fairs and menageries.

The programme didn't dwell much on the Ellisons tenement connection because it was just a few days of stopover at a venue, and the birth just happened to occur at that visit.

Although it was interesting to hear Accrington mentioned, the Day family were not shown to have connections here other than 'passing through'.
Like Margaret, I watched it, and thought the same thing.

The Accrington connection was a suprise, but considering they were fair folk, it was just chance the birth happened here.

More interesting to me was Larry Lamb meeting his elderly mother's brother in the States. With neither family knowing of the other's existence, after Lamb's grandmother had ran off to America, to begin a totally new life.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 08:42   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
More interesting to me was Larry Lamb meeting his elderly mother's brother in the States. With neither family knowing of the other's existence, after Lamb's grandmother had ran off to America, to begin a totally new life.
Those things happened a lot back then -not the same means of communication as we have now obviously. In the mid-70's an un-known cousin of my dads turned up to find the family from New Zealand. His mother had died and left written in her will who her brothers and sisters were and that she was originally from Accrington, UK. He had no idea! She was a sister of my paternal Grand-father and apparently ran off in disgrace in the early 20's as she was pregnant (she came from a good Catholic family!)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 11:24   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Those things happened a lot back then -not the same means of communication as we have now obviously. In the mid-70's an un-known cousin of my dads turned up to find the family from New Zealand. His mother had died and left written in her will who her brothers and sisters were and that she was originally from Accrington, UK. He had no idea! She was a sister of my paternal Grand-father and apparently ran off in disgrace in the early 20's as she was pregnant (she came from a good Catholic family!)
Watched bits of it - I wonder if they'll ever have a Jeanette Winterson one?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 11:40   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Sadly it did happen.

Mainly because only the wealthy could afford to divorce. So if a relationship broke down, it was easy for some to scarper, and start an entirely new life somewhere else, with a brand new family.

One of the saddest Who Do You Think You Are? programmes featured Kim Catrall, when this happened to her mother.

Catrall's grandfather left her mother and two aunts as children to a life of poverty in Liverpool. Whilst he played the doting daddy to his new family in the northeast, before moving the whole family to Australia.

Must be hard, hearing how wonderful a dad your father had been to a later child, after abandoning you without a backwards glance.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 16:22   #9

I thought the Kim Cattrall episode was the best one I have seen and just goes to show how people could disappear in those days and not be traced as they didn't have access to the information we have today.

I don't really rate this current series and have only really enjoyed the Larry Lamb one but hopefully it will get a bit better soon.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 11:10   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sadly it did happen.

Mainly because only the wealthy could afford to divorce. So if a relationship broke down, it was easy for some to scarper, and start an entirely new life somewhere else, with a brand new family.

One of the saddest Who Do You Think You Are? programmes featured Kim Catrall, when this happened to her mother.

Catrall's grandfather left her mother and two aunts as children to a life of poverty in Liverpool. Whilst he played the doting daddy to his new family in the northeast, before moving the whole family to Australia.

Must be hard, hearing how wonderful a dad your father had been to a later child, after abandoning you without a backwards glance.
It only matters because she is a celebrity what about the family in Iraq who did not wrong who's father was bombed by Blairs lies! 100's of family's murdered by British Bombing!!!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 12:04   #11
God Member

I watched the Richard Madeley one last night.
What a disppointment. He was so busy interrupting the people who were giving him info that I feel sure there was much to be told that wasn't.

We had many shots of him walking and driving in the snow which contributed nothing.

He just seemed concerned to construct a tree which went further back than most - he succeeded, but the info about those ancestors was sparse.

Old 29-09-2011, 18:45   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I watched the Richard Madeley one last night.
What a disppointment. He was so busy interrupting the people who were giving him info that I feel sure there was much to be told that wasn't.

We had many shots of him walking and driving in the snow which contributed nothing.

He just seemed concerned to construct a tree which went further back than most - he succeeded, but the info about those ancestors was sparse.
Have to agree on that one, does that guy never shut up?, also it only seemed to be about his mothers side
I have recently been trying to track down my family tree and i have to say i found my relatives way back to early 1800's and found cousins everywhere!, also some stuff which shock you!! lol , good stuff, interesting to know too
Old 29-09-2011, 18:57   #13
Senior Member+

I am sure that Richard Madeley has some nice relations too.I rate him as a broadcaster/.presenter/journalist. I diodn't see the beginning, but the town of Madeley is in Shropshire, near to Ironbridge, so I hope that came out.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 19:00   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I am sure that Richard Madeley has some nice relations too.I rate him as a broadcaster/.presenter/journalist. I diodn't see the beginning, but the town of Madeley is in Shropshire, near to Ironbridge, so I hope that came out.
No it didn't.

Old 29-09-2011, 19:11   #15

I think the programme makers Wall to Wall Media have lost the plot. What started out as a good and very interesting programme some years ago has now become really mundane. They were the team that had the idea and started to make the family history programme which I really enjoyed but jumping back 3 or 4 generations just to find something interesting (Which this series really lacks) is not good television.

I was involved with the research and actually appeared in one of the shows in the 2nd series and realised at that time that the production company were not the least bit interested in the family history side but just wanted to make sure that the "celebrity" broke down in tears whilst they were filming and that things were either blown out of proportion or dramatized to make it good television. It is such a shame as I have been involved with family history for many years and I always tell my students that it is not how far you go back it's finding out about the journey to where you are now.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..