Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-09-2012, 12:47   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: Trouble on t' Estate

Some interesting coverage in the press, following the programme's broadcast.

The film-makers creating trouble on the estate | Owen Hatherley | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

How have things changed on the Shadsworth estate in the last 20 years? (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Videos: Blackburn's Shadsworth estate outraged by BBC Panorama 'hatchet job' (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Also -

Urban Dictionary: Shadsworth

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-09-2012, 13:49   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'Twas very funny.

Sad.

But funny.

Chronic Ironic...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 15:05   #63
God Member

Was talking to an old fella today who comes into the shop regularly, he's lived up Shad for many many years and was saying what a load of crap that documentary was, he's in his 80s and said that they picked the worst of the whole estate out and it was shameful, he was saying that what the docu didn't show was that a lot of the houses up there are private and not owned by the council and he said in all his years up there he has never known anyone to deal drugs on the streets, he also said he's never had any trouble with any kids
Old 13-09-2012, 17:44   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Was talking to an old fella today who comes into the shop regularly, he's lived up Shad for many many years and was saying what a load of crap that documentary was, he's in his 80s and said that they picked the worst of the whole estate out and it was shameful, he was saying that what the docu didn't show was that a lot of the houses up there are private and not owned by the council and he said in all his years up there he has never known anyone to deal drugs on the streets, he also said he's never had any trouble with any kids
Just shows the negative power of television for misinformation when they want to enforce an agenda. That agenda being that Shadsworth is like the real life version of Chatsworth Estate out of TV comedy Shameless!
Old 13-09-2012, 17:47   #65
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Why? are you daft? People used to break into chemists for the pills which they would sell onto people for recreational purposes and who wanted to stay up all night. Pills that back in the 70's were given out on prescription for various reasons. I think they even prescribed black bombers for slimming back in the day - which they don't do now. There were also "blues" that were a blue colored pill people took to stay up longer.
Well you should know, I'll take your word for it
Old 13-09-2012, 17:48   #66
Beacon of light

Quote:

If they had portrayed Shad as a gentle, peaceloving place, it would not have made good TV(or what the Docu makes think is good TV)....it is really like people watching Jeremy Kyle(how I hate that show) and thinking that the whole human race was like those on that toxic show.
It is toxic TV.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 17:49   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I still wouldn't live rent free up yon Shaz
Old 13-09-2012, 17:51   #68
Senior Member+

There is a guy at work who lives up there(for many years 40+ I imagine) with his twin brother and their mother. He hasn't complained in a while but he has often said they throw stuff at house and shout "psycho" and "peado" at him

Quote:
Old 13-09-2012, 18:36   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well you should know, I'll take your word for it
Have you no common sense? Where do you think they got all these prescription pills from in the 70's? NHS donations?
Old 13-09-2012, 18:50   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Have you no common sense? Where do you think they got all these prescription pills from in the 70's? NHS donations?
Don't know I had more sense than bother with um so wasn't ever interested, could have been getting um from Timbuktu as far as I was concerned
Old 18-09-2012, 11:03   #71
God Member

Very one sided doc, ironically they edited out all the positive stuff filmed. The big jubilee party that all the residents organised. The interview with the youth engagement officer talking about all the work they have done, organising trips for all youngsters off the estate regardless of background/income etc.

And yet when they panned around the estate apart from the run down shop area on ballantrae road, you could see tidy hedges and practically litter free streets!!

For obvious reasons I can't go into much detail regarding people shown in the film but enough to say what was shown was not a true representation of not only the estate but also some people shown on it

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 14:01   #72
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Never seen it was away, But hardly a shock they edited out any positives. They don't get a reaction.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..