Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2017, 16:01   #1
Senior Member+

Sherlock Versus Endeavour!

On Sunday night these 2 detective drama's clashed Sherlock was the choice for me and I saw the end of Endeavour and glad I made that choice. Character played by Toby Young seemed to be based on Jimmy Savile a deduction that was made by the media the next day. Sherlock rules in this case anyone else agree or disagree?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2017, 17:19   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Sherlock Versus Endeavour!

For me it has to be Emdeavour.
I have a strong aversion to any generation of Sherlock Holmes, and I cannot abide that Cumberbatch guy...so would not watch anything with him in it
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 20:26   #3
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

If I had to watch one it would have been Endeavour (forerunner of Morse) which the Wife watches avidly. On top of that, I can't stand that virtue signalling, whiny tosspot lefty, Bendydick Cucumberpatch!
Old 11-01-2017, 21:14   #4
Beacon of light

My feelings exactly.
Himself has watched lots of Sherlock Holmes films...in fact he would watch them all day everyday...especially the Basil Rathbone versions. I despise them, they are hackneyed and tedious and when they are on I go and do something more interesting(like cleaning the inside of the gas oven - I don't enjoy that too much, but it is heaps better than watching that rubbish).
Old 12-01-2017, 08:15   #5
God Member

totally agree margaret with your endeavour v sherlock comments. tried sherlock every series but never get past the first couple of episodes as i just don,t really get it. could be an age thing however as it could be more geared to a younger audiance. as for basil rathbone and nigel bruce sherlock holmes series i,ve always enjoyed them. there only downsides are the lack of london cabs, buses and british trains and cars in the outside scenes but probebly due to a low budget at the time.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 17:06   #6
Senior Member+

Endeavour is good I think better than Lewis maybe? I'm not mad on Sherlock, particularly the episode when he fell off a roof and for months people were gasping for the next episode! I just thought it was good with Toby Jones.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 21:38   #7

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Anything related to Morse without John Thaw is crud! It's like having Fawlty Towers without John Cleese or Columbo without Peter Falk.

As for Sherlock...

Rathbone was brilliant despite run of the mill scripts and one dimensional supporting actors. (you can dig up some of his old radio stuff here https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio)

Cumberbatch is brilliant because of the scripts which gives the supporting actors depth and backstories (you gotta love the concept of Mrs Hudson being the widow of a drug lord who drives a red Aston Martin 'Do you know what speed you were doing'..'Of course not I was on my phone')

Anyway..I'm a philistine and I kinda like Robert Downey Jr as Holmes in Guy Ritchies two films with Jude Law as Watson....and Jeremy Brett did a fair old job as did Clive Merrison and Michael Williams on the BBC radio series
Old 14-01-2017, 07:59   #8
Beacon of light

Well, Guinness...if you like it,you like it.
For me I am biased. I admit that. I have sat through so many reruns of all of the Sherlock stuff and while I get what you say about the Basil Rathbone stuff, I have come to hate ALL of the SH programmes.(for me, SH followed by another couple of letters, is exactly what they are)
As for the Cumberbatch fellow, I do not like him(even though i don't know him)...so I would not watch any programme or film that he was in...that is just how I am.
I am not a great film fan anyway, I am far too restless to sit watching...I would far rather be doing something(while I still can). Life is not a spectator sport.

As for Endeavour, I do not connect it with the Morse stories, even though it is supposed to be about the young Morse.
Each to his/her own I guess
Old 14-01-2017, 12:10   #9

I've not watched the Sherlock TV series, so I can't comment. However, Imitation Game, about the cracking of the Enigma code, and starring Cumberbatch, is excellent. As for Morse/Endeavour, not my cup of tea.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:21   #10
Beacon of light

So I won't be watching that Michael.
I don't know what it is about him, but I just cannot stand the man.
Michael1954 likes this.
Old 14-01-2017, 12:27   #11

I used to feel that way about Martin Clunes, especially after his Men Behaving Badly days, until I watched an episode of Doc Martin. Now I watch the endless repeats on the various ITV channels.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 12:38   #12
Beacon of light

There are just a handful of folk on TV who raise my ire.
Keith Lemon, Matthew Wright Dominic Cumberbatch...when these men are on screen i have to leave the room.
I hasten to add that I am not a great watcher of TV and if there is nothing on I want to watch then the TV is switched off.
It is a bit like 'Brain gum'. I prefer to read, or do something creative.
Old 15-01-2017, 10:54   #13
God Member

keith lemon. now thats someone who i can,t wait to turn off. don,t know the guy but he,s top of my hate list by the longest mile you could imagine.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 23:31   #14
I am Banned

I am going to be biased because I love Sherlock and I'm a big fan of benedict cumberbatch
redgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..