Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2008, 09:09   #1
God Member

Animals at Rhyddings Park

Friends of Rhyddings Park have got a little bit of money to create some signage for the pets corner in the park. See attached one of the initial designs. Note - this won't be the final design, we'll be showing option at the next meeting and asking the committee to decide.

However, as anyone who knows me will testify - I spend as little time in the pets corner as possible - I love furry animals but ducks, turkeys and chickens do very little for me!

So, to the point of this thread - I need a volunteer to help me research the information for the panels and to either teach me about the animals or to write a couple of paragraphs to replace all the mumbo jumbo on the draft design.

The animals that we have are

Peacock and peahen
Pheasant
Bantams
Dwarf Rabbits
Quail
Sussex Hens and Cock
Budgerigars
Pygmy Goats
Ducks
Turkey

I also thought it might be a nice idea to have the names of the animals in a few languages as well i.e. french and spanish, so that young people are learning something else as well as learning about the animals.

Anyone got a few hours on their hands to help out?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draft.jpg (19.9 KB, 18 views)

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2008, 09:16   #2
God Member

Re: Animals at Rhyddings Park

Have you thought of asking some of the local secondary schools maybe as a foreign language lesson ? I know Hollins do French and Spanish, not sure of the others
Old 22-10-2008, 09:25   #3
God Member

I only want their names so not sure it's much of a project for the schools language department.

Thanks for the idea though.

Old 22-10-2008, 10:57   #4
Senior Member+

what about polish gayle? alot of the mums at tys school are polish, i could ask them to translate the names for you, sure they wont mind

edit...i will help if you want, give me summat to do lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 13:09   #5
God Member

Polish is an excellent idea - could you look into it for me please? I've posted the list of animals at the top so all I need is a list of polish names for those animals.

Thanks

I've also had an offer of help to do some of the text for me - I won't say who it is because if people discover that the two of us are working together in harmony the universe as we know it may implode!

Old 22-10-2008, 14:34   #6
God Member

Why waste money on this caper? The Poles are all going back home. No more jobs 'em and even they can't survive on sixty quid JSA.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 15:52   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The idea of the signs is so that visitors to the park will know what the animals are and learn a little bit about them.

Names in other languages is just another idea to help children learn.
Old 22-10-2008, 16:15   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Why waste money on this caper? The Poles are all going back home. No more jobs 'em and even they can't survive on sixty quid JSA.

I had a long discussion with a friend earlier about this thread and he said that it was bound to attract all the usual protaganists who don't want anything positive to happen anywhere and I said that he was wrong, most sane, sensible people would see that we're trying to educate young people about the animals and if they learn a few extra words in another language for fun that can only be a good thing!

I owe him a £1. Turns out he's right again.

Just to clarify for the rest of you who jump onto threads that have even the slightest hint of being multicultural (which this isn't) - the idea wasn't to put the whole sign in any other language or even all the info in all the languages it was just to put the names of the animals in a few different languages. All kids learn french, german and spanish at school and that was where that idea came from.

Old 22-10-2008, 16:25   #9
God Member

Anything that helps the kids in an educational way has got to be a good thing IMO. Well done for coming up with the idea
Old 22-10-2008, 16:27   #10
Resting in Peace

The friends of Rhyddings Park are doing a great job, we're just lucky that there are people like Gayle and Neil who give up hours of their own time just to try to make a difference.
Old 22-10-2008, 16:31   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The friends of Rhyddings Park are doing a great job, we're just lucky that there are people like Gayle and Neil who give up hours of their own time just to try to make a difference.

Lets see everyone run away when they see the sacks of daffodil bulbs arrive at my house for the park tomorrow
Old 22-10-2008, 16:38   #12
God Member

I hope that the pets corner is monitored by CCTV - most of them are very edible .... Christmas + Recession = danger of theft

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 17:13   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Lets see everyone run away when they see the sacks of daffodil bulbs arrive at my house for the park tomorrow
Oh, so that's why you've called a meeting in the park tomorrow - we're all going to be handed spades when we arrive are we?

Old 22-10-2008, 17:17   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
have you asked at the local primary school? I used to work at one that used to go every year and help the park keeper plant bulbs... its educational

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 18:55   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Oh, so that's why you've called a meeting in the park tomorrow - we're all going to be handed spades when we arrive are we?
I love it when a plan comes together

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
have you asked at the local primary school? I used to work at one that used to go every year and help the park keeper plant bulbs... its educational

Thanks Emma but I have con vinced the local Cub's and Scouts to help. Just need some adults as well maybe.

I don't suppose anyone has any long handled bulb planters?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..