Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 21:51   #31

Re: Big Issue outside the Co-op

while we`re on about romanians,did anyone see the programme about fraud on telly tonight.seems like romania and other eastern european countries seem to be benefiting from our country by swindling either our banks or benefits system.
maybe a certain austrian nutcase wasn`t far wrong wanting to eradicate the more "undesirable elements" of europe.
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-04-2012, 21:59   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
while we`re on about romanians,did anyone see the programme about fraud on telly tonight.seems like romania and other eastern european countries seem to be benefiting from our country by swindling either our banks or benefits system.
maybe a certain austrian nutcase wasn`t far wrong wanting to eradicate the more "undesirable elements" of europe.
whilst I cant agree with the sentiment expressed, I think this scam is more likely to fund crime in other countries rather than selling the big issue for £2
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 22:36   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
Ok.. did you really mean that?..this site has more than it's fair share of right wing opinions so I suppose the more the merrier.

Last edited by Mancie; 05-04-2012 at 22:40.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 22:26   #34

hahaha no,i`ve no time for extreme right wing politics.i just feel let down by the previous governments open door policy to immigration which i think a lot of people will agree has been a total disaster.quite a few people coming over here just come to abuse us,whether they are health tourists or just out to claim benefits or rob us blind one way or another.in 30 years of working i`ve been unemployed for about 3 or 4 weeks out of that time and had a spell on the sick for 8 weeks due to an industrial accident for which i received the princely sum of £82 per week.it angers me that people come to this country an receive all kinds of help without paying into the system.my girlfriends cousin is a prime example,he manages to smoke,run (reputedly) two cars,have sunbed sessions and finance holidays to see his family in new zealand.......all off benefits.makes me wonder where i`m going wrong
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 11:54   #35
Senior Member+

Just back from town. The new Big Issue guy. Oh My. How he hasn't lost the will to live yet is beyond me. I feel like giving him a tape recorder and a megaphone. He can then record his voice saying "the big issue" over and over and over and over. Infact I think he probably has a tape recorder in his mouth and the same recording comes out, time and again. It sounds so much the same every time he says it.

I would take the desperate cries of the woman anyday.
Old 16-06-2012, 12:56   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Just back from town. The new Big Issue guy. Oh My. How he hasn't lost the will to live yet is beyond me. I feel like giving him a tape recorder and a megaphone. He can then record his voice saying "the big issue" over and over and over and over. Infact I think he probably has a tape recorder in his mouth and the same recording comes out, time and again. It sounds so much the same every time he says it.

I would take the desperate cries of the woman anyday.
Reminiscent, of the old guy who used to sell the Telegraph in Accy centre on the corner of Broadway, the only thing he used to say was Telegraph over and over again
Old 16-06-2012, 13:05   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Reminiscent, of the old guy who used to sell the Telegraph in Accy centre on the corner of Broadway, the only thing he used to say was Telegraph over and over again
I remember a paper seller opposite the Town Hall, outside Redmans I think. He use to shout something like Last Final but it was totally indecipherable. I think he must have sold the Telegraph.
Old 16-06-2012, 13:17   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yer both talking about "Sid" who has been mentioned in owd threads.
Old 16-06-2012, 13:19   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I remember a paper seller opposite the Town Hall, outside Redman's I think. He use to shout something like Last Final but it was totally indecipherable. I think he must have sold the Telegraph.
He used to start of Telegraph then later moved on to latefinal all one word, or it sounded like it, can still picture him a little chubby fellow with a flat cap on ( and probably a wild willy woodbine stuck in the corner of his gob)
Old 16-06-2012, 13:28   #40
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He used to start of Telegraph then later moved on to latefinal all one word, or it sounded like it, can still picture him a little chubby fellow with a flat cap on ( and probably a wild willy woodbine stuck in the corner of his gob)
Yes you're right John - we probably only heard latefinal (emphasis on the last syllable) as that's the time we used to be down town. And I do remember the flat cap...
Old 16-06-2012, 13:49   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer both talking about "Sid" who has been mentioned in owd threads.
Just read those old threads Cashy - I'd forgotten about the "last sports" on a Saturday for the Pink...

And getting your papers off the Clock Garage wall during wakes week - forgotten that an all.
Old 16-06-2012, 14:28   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I can vaguely remember being at me Nans as a nipper on a Saturday afternoon & the Liverpool Echo used to have a "Pink" sports supplement. Think things are a little different today if you're after picking up the "Pink" papers.
Old 16-06-2012, 22:22   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Just read those old threads Cashy - I'd forgotten about the "last sports" on a Saturday for the Pink...

And getting your papers off the Clock Garage wall during wakes week - forgotten that an all.
Would have pointed yeh in the direction of em, but had forget which uns they were, so couldn't find em.
Old 16-06-2012, 22:25   #44
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I can vaguely remember being at me Nans as a nipper on a Saturday afternoon & the Liverpool Echo used to have a "Pink" sports supplement. Think things are a little different today if you're after picking up the "Pink" papers.
You mean the Financial Times...
Old 16-06-2012, 22:26   #45
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Would have pointed yeh in the direction of em, but had forget which uns they were, so couldn't find em.
'Salright Cashy, I found em.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..