Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-12-2008, 12:29   #1
God Member

Big Issue outside the Co-op

I buy the Big Issue on a regular basis - for a start I think it's a good cause but also because it's quite a good read.

But, the one outside the Co-op is starting to annoy me a little - it's the pressure. I go into the Co-op most days which means that most days they shout Big Issue at me. The trouble is that I'm only going to buy it once a week at most which means all the other times I go away feeling guilty for not handing my money over but why would I when I've already got a stack in the car.

The only way to get round it is to carry it round with me to show them that I'm not ignoring them.

Is it just me that feels the guilt?
westendlass likes this.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2008, 12:33   #2
God Member

Re: Big Issue outside the Co-op

I don't buy and have no guilt about snubbing any type of street begger.
There are enough provisions in social security law to prevent starvation.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:36   #3
God Member

I don't have any guilt walking past the one in Accy. Maybe it helps when I know she isn't talking to me because I'm not her darlinnnnnnnn
Old 18-12-2008, 12:46   #4
Senior Member+

big issue dahhhhhling lady was dressed as santa yesterday

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 12:51   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

When I saw the thread title Gayle I thought you had a second job

I don't feel guilty about never buying one. You are already providing for the sellers by working and paying into the system that pays out to them. A good system it is as well.
Old 18-12-2008, 16:39   #6
K-P

I dont go to town that often.. But when I do then I usually buy one off her.. I am talking rare that i see her.

I don't read it and it generally goes in the bin after a quick look at the headlines/pictures

I buy it because unlike others.. she is at least trying. it cant be good stood there all day in all weather and its not the same as the con artists who want a fiver for a cuppa or whatever. Arn't big issue sellers more organised.. they have to account for the issues and the money surely?

I will always be impressed with people who are making a genuine effort to at least do something for money...
Old 18-12-2008, 17:27   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
When I saw the thread title Gayle I thought you had a second job

I don't feel guilty about never buying one. You are already providing for the sellers by working and paying into the system that pays out to them. A good system it is as well.
We must be on the same wavelength Neil I thought Gayle was after a few extra quid for Christmas
Old 18-12-2008, 17:39   #8
Resting in Peace

Just got back from Burnley, and the Big Issue seller outside M & S was a rather rotund Asian gentleman dressed colourfully as an elf and singing repeated renditions of 'Jingle Bells'. At least he was trying to add a bit of cheer, and singing for his supper.

Did I buy one ? ... no. Do I feel guilty ? .. terribly ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 17:51   #9
Give, give, give member

I didn't know there was a Big Issue seller outside the Co-op, as they don't pack your bags for you, and I find the new check-out a real struggle.

The sellers aren't supposed to be agressive. If he/she is, I would report them, and I certainly wouldn't be made to feel guilty, if I'd bought one or not.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 19:07   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
singing repeated renditions of 'Jingle Bells'.
Clearly an outsider. Anybody who comes from Burnley sings Dingle Bells
Old 18-12-2008, 19:13   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Clearly an outsider. Anybody who comes from Burnley sings Dingle Bells
LOL ... on another thread that the lady in Accrington with the same approach, looks like a Nationwide marketing exercise.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 20:22   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just got back from Burnley, and the Big Issue seller outside M & S was a rather rotund Asian gentleman dressed colourfully as an elf and singing repeated renditions of 'Jingle Bells'. At least he was trying to add a bit of cheer, and singing for his supper.

Did I buy one ? ... no. Do I feel guilty ? .. terribly ..
Is this the same one that replaces the words jingle bells with big issue??? If it is, i was amused last year (but still didnt buy one)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 09:56   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
I dont go to town that often.. But when I do then I usually buy one off her.. I am talking rare that i see her.

I don't read it and it generally goes in the bin after a quick look at the headlines/pictures

I buy it because unlike others.. she is at least trying. it cant be good stood there all day in all weather and its not the same as the con artists who want a fiver for a cuppa or whatever. Arn't big issue sellers more organised.. they have to account for the issues and the money surely?

I will always be impressed with people who are making a genuine effort to at least do something for money...
i don't buy one regular, but do occasionally fer the same reasons.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:52   #14

I see the Big Issue lady in Accrington most days I'm in town, I have purchased the big issue a number of times in the past, I was also a little generous round Christmas time and give the big issue lady some spare change.
Brolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38   #15

For some time I've thought that there was something a bit dodgy about the Big Issue seller in Accrington.
Then I watched a TV programme last year which proved that there was a link to Romanian gypsies who were using the Big Issue in Britain to fund lavish lifestyles in Romania. I'm not saying that the Accrington seller is part of this but I certainly wouldn't dream of ever buying a Big Issue from anyone, I don't agree with begging of any kind or aggressive selling. I find her sales technique to be offensive and wish that she could be stopped by the council.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..