Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2009, 13:08   #1

Brittania Crossroads

Firstly I would be the first to admit that something was needed at these dangerous crossroads, however the minature version of whitebirk roundabout that is being built up there seems a bit over the top. How much money as the council spent on this junction when surely a set of traffic lights would of done the same job, and cost us tax payers a fraction of the money?
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2009, 13:18   #2
God Member

Re: Brittania Crossroads

Was looked into and that junction aint suitable for traffic lights, you need to see the lights a certain distance before you get too them and you don't get that there

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 13:27   #3

Thanks for answering my question K.S.H. they must of got some traffic light boffin to come up with that one.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 13:33   #4
God Member

Got to admit that the cross roads do appear quickly when your coming from Guide

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 13:43   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think Lancashire County Council are spending somewhere between £800,000 and £1,000,000 on it.

I have heard both figures mentioned over the last 3 years or more since they approved the scheme. It has already taken them well over 4 months from starting work and they are still not finished.
Old 20-04-2009, 13:44   #6
God Member

rubbish, if they put those double decker lights on the approach from Knuzden and put the stop line before the corner on Lottice Lane it would have been fine. Its a 40 mph zone so you shouldn't be coming so quickly that you can't see them plus add a 'traffic lights ahead sign before them and you have no excuse.

As usual they like wasting money and time.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 14:56   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
rubbish, if they put those double decker lights on the approach from Knuzden and put the stop line before the corner on Lottice Lane it would have been fine. Its a 40 mph zone so you shouldn't be coming so quickly that you can't see them plus add a 'traffic lights ahead sign before them and you have no excuse.

that sums it up very well.
Old 20-04-2009, 15:03   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Depends on whether your approaching in a bog standard family car or a V8 4.2 death mobile, the owners of those things need their wings clipped for everyone else's safety at that junction!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 15:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Its a 40 mph zone so you shouldn't be coming so quickly that you can't see them
There you have it.

If people didn't go faster than that then we wouldn't have anywhere near the number of accidents that we do.

The accident that sparked this roundabout off was due to speeding.
Old 20-04-2009, 20:26   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The chap from LCC said it did not meet current DOT requirements for traffic lights so it did not get them. Can't even blame LCC, they have to follow the rules as well.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:13   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Depends on whether your approaching in a bog standard family car or a V8 4.2 death mobile, the owners of those things need their wings clipped for everyone else's safety at that junction!
<fx:ian gets Julie to check his back for any sprouting appendages>

heh, even 4.2 litre V8 monsters can do 30mph and less when the squishy fleshy thing behind the wheel uses its brain.

Oh, hang on , wings on my back that would make me an Angel then!!!

Old 21-04-2009, 08:18   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
There you have it.

If people didn't go faster than that then we wouldn't have anywhere near the number of accidents that we do.

The accident that sparked this roundabout off was due to speeding.

IIRC it wasn't. As I recall it the lad turned in front of a bus that wasn't speeding. It was bad judgment that caused that accident (which is often quoted as the main reason and good on his Parents for pushing so hard for it) but you also have to remember all teh others how have died or been seriously injured there. One accident would not have made LCC do the work, it is teh sheer number of accidents there that make it such a reknown problem. ( I worked at teh Brit for 3 years so know how many minors that wouldn't even get reported and I personally saw 3 or 4 majors in that short time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
The chap from LCC said it did not meet current DOT requirements for traffic lights so it did not get them. Can't even blame LCC, they have to follow the rules as well.
Then the rules are wrong and need challenging. Rules are never set in stone. They evolve and are reviewed and changed as necessary.

Old 21-04-2009, 09:47   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
IIRC it wasn't. As I recall it the lad turned in front of a bus that wasn't speeding. It was bad judgment that caused that accident (which is often quoted as the main reason and good on his Parents for pushing so hard for it) but you also have to remember all teh others how have died or been seriously injured there. One accident would not have made LCC do the work, it is teh sheer number of accidents there that make it such a reknown problem. ( I worked at teh Brit for 3 years so know how many minors that wouldn't even get reported and I personally saw 3 or 4 majors in that short time.)

Then the rules are wrong and need challenging. Rules are never set in stone. They evolve and are reviewed and changed as necessary.
The rules might need changing entwisi, but are you going to tell the jobsworth down in Westminster, the best of British mate
Old 21-04-2009, 15:47   #14
God Member

Quote:
IIRC it wasn't. As I recall it the lad turned in front of a bus that wasn't speeding.
It wasn't the bus driver that was speeding.

The young lad was speeding, the one who died.
Old 22-04-2009, 14:25   #15

A NELSON school bus driver who was involved in a fatal smash at a notorious accident blackspot in Oswaldtwistle has admitted driving without due care and attention.
During the hearing, in Blackburn, accident investigator PC John Sutcliffe said that the school bus turned in front of Mr Jamieson's car as he drove towards Knuzden.

He said Mr Jamieson, a former Rhyddings High School pupil, had been driving at around 53mph 13mph over the 40mph limit on the approach to the junction.
Death smash: Bus driver admits charge
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..