Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 14:25   #1
God Member

Bye-election in Ossy

Presumably there will be a bye-election soon in Ossy following the sad loss of Jean Lockwood. Does anyone know when it will be and who's standing?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2009, 16:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bye-election in Ossy

It's the 23rd of this month Gayle.

It's a Labour Tory contest. Dorothy Westell for Labour and Judith Addison for the Tories
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 16:09   #3
Resting in Peace

23rd July Gayle Judith Addison is the Tory Candidate, and a woman form Clayton le Moors is Labours choice, the one that PB roasted at county in May
Old 04-07-2009, 17:17   #4
Give, give, give member

Not my ward, but if it was Dorothy Westell would get my vote.

She's worked tirelessly, and successfully, for the desperately needed improvements to the Heys playing fields.

Though I've heard someone (no names) has tried to claim the victory as his own.

(No suprises there then.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 17:28   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
and a woman form Clayton le Moors is Labours choice,
Naughty, naughty Jaysay .. you know full well who it is ... object to that slightly ... Dorothy is lovely and worked hard within the LCC for Oswaldtwistle. Agree with Garinda, if my ward, wouldn't hesitate to put my cross against her name on the voting form.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 17:36   #6
God Member

Let's have a thread wander. Isn't it Dorothy Westell's daughter who's married to the world's unfunniest comedian?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 18:15   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Let's have a thread wander. Isn't it Dorothy Westell's daughter who's married to the world's unfunniest comedian?
Yes, she is married to someone well-known ... and they are both lovely people. Whether you consider him un-funny is just a matter of taste Yerself .. nothing to do with Dorothy's capability of becoming a councillor once more ..
Old 04-07-2009, 19:49   #8

judith for me.
nortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 19:52   #9
God Member

I've met Judith and she's a nice lady, as is Dorothy but neither party seems to be putting up a fight - they're both two very nice ladies of a certain age. Surely, it would make more sense for either party to have put up someone who was different from the other, offering a real alternative battle.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Naughty, naughty Jaysay .. you know full well who it is ... object to that slightly ... Dorothy is lovely and worked hard within the LCC for Oswaldtwistle. Agree with Garinda, if my ward, wouldn't hesitate to put my cross against her name on the voting form.
I just want some one from my town to represent me from whichever part but preferably Tory, Dorothy maybe nice but ain't it time to call it a day when your in your mid 75s. Ossy Con Ass have a local rule, which is, if you want to stand as a candidate to represent an Ossy Ward on HBC you MUST live in Ossy end of. Speaks volumes For Ossy Labour party when they can't field a local candidate. The reason I just used Clayton Woman kate is simple, during an election campaign I will never ever use an opposition candidates name never have ever will, in letters leaflet or even now on sites like this, which didn't exist when I was active, why publicise your opponents name, people don't remember whats written on leaflets or in letters, but they do remember names. I can remember the chap who printed our leaflets in the 80s early 90s always telling me, a political leaflet is only as good as it takes to read between the front door and the Dust Bin, people DO remember names

Last edited by jaysay; 05-07-2009 at 09:27.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Dorothy is a very nice lady, I have spoken to her many times. I can't understand though why anyone at 75ish would want to stand as a Councillor.

I don't think I have met Judith so can't comment about her.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
She's worked tirelessly, and successfully, for the desperately needed improvements to the Heys playing fields.
I sort of agree with that. Only sort of because it is LCC land and they should have fenced it off years ago to prevent the motorbikes and 4x4's going on it.

The only improvement so far that I am aware of has been the removal of what I believe was an unsafe building.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The reason I just used Clayton Woman kate is simple, during an election campaign I will never ever use an opposition candidates name never have ever will, in letters leaflet or even now on sites like this, which didn't exist when I was active, why publicise your opponents name, people don't remember whats written on leaflets or in letters, but they do remember names. I can remember the chap who printed our leaflets in the 80s early 90s always telling me, a political leaflet is only as good as it takes to read between the front door and the Dust Bin, people DO remember names
Jaysay my sweetie .... did realise what you were up to .. not that naive..
I know, 'Woman' is PC, however, has that undertone of insult. On the Clayton abode .. we have covered this before, and shown that many Tory councillors live out of their ward .. (the current Tory Mayor as an example).

Didn't quite realise how old Dorothy was and I have myself pontificated about politicians being over a certain age .. only M.P's though, not locally. She appears to still have a very astute and active mind.

Can't find any info. on Judith Addison ... she is no spring chicken looking at the odd 'photo I have found.

Anyway not my bye-election but, if it were, probably would consider both candidates, and find out as much as I could about both of them as, like most people, tend to go for the person in local elections.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:56   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Jaysay my sweetie .... did realise what you were up to .. not that naive..
I know, 'Woman' is PC, however, has that undertone of insult. On the Clayton abode .. we have covered this before, and shown that many Tory councillors live out of their ward .. (the current Tory Mayor as an example).

Didn't quite realise how old Dorothy was and I have myself pontificated about politicians being over a certain age .. only M.P's though, not locally. She appears to still have a very astute and active mind.

Can't find any info. on Judith Addison ... she is no spring chicken looking at the odd 'photo I have found.

Anyway not my bye-election but, if it were, probably would consider both candidates, and find out as much as I could about both of them as, like most people, tend to go for the person in local elections.
Judith has just retired from her job with HBC recently, she was in the electoral department for many years.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:20   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I sort of agree with that. Only sort of because it is LCC land and they should have fenced it off years ago to prevent the motorbikes and 4x4's going on it.

The only improvement so far that I am aware of has been the removal of what I believe was an unsafe building.
Money is now in place to build proper changing facilities, renew the drainage system, and resurface the all weather pitch, besides the fencing, all thanks to Dorothy's hard work.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..