Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2006, 09:11   #1

Cockers Chemicals (Nipa Laboratories)

Firstly sorry about the loss of jobs and I hope you find work very quickly, but it must be a good thing for Oswaldtwistle with the closure of this chemical factory and the removal of all the nasties, although I will miss the 'CLOSE YOUR WINDOWS OR YOU WILL DIE' siren test at 11.00am on the first wednesday of every month. In a professional capacity I say good ridance to an old enemy. Again I apologise to anyone who as lost their job.

Last edited by firefighter753; 02-04-2006 at 09:14.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2006, 09:30   #2
mez
God Member

Re: Cockers Chemicals (Nipa Laboratories)

it is sad another company closing its doors ..but i won't miss that dreaded siren.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46   #3
God Member

We still have ours worst luck but even those doing well are shedding jobs. All those years and experience in the industry and now having to find other jobs, which might not be easy for those who's speciallty is the chemical industry. I hope they can find work soon or have other jobs lined up as it is far from fun being in limbo job wise not knowing your future.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:58   #4
Resting in Peace

Yes, remember the smell as a girl up New Lane, ... little like disinfectant ? Haven't noticed it over the last years though. Best of luck to all those losing their jobs, bet some of them have been there for years.

Know what it has been like for the people who worked for my company with the closure of their mills, over 300 people gone. Whole families. Hilden was the last weaving mill in Oswaldtwistle to go and seems at one time it was supported by 18. Cheap labour abroad I'm afraid.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:41   #5
God Member

You get used to the smell over time. After I have been out of Grangemouth for a few days or especially when I return from Accy it aint just the smell you can taste it as well. Sadley someones gain is anothers loss in this case jobs.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 16:33   #6
Give, give, give member

We used to live over Stanhill as children, and always knew we were in for good weather when we could smell Cockers, although we weren't to popular when we used to come back bright orange, after playing in the brook at Brookside. An early form of St. Tropez tan I suppose.

It is a great pity for the people that have lost their jobs, but from a safety point of view it can only be a good thing for the area.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 17:15   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

It's a shame for the job losses but environmentally 'Cockers' will not be missed. I worked there in 1985 and was plagued with chest infections all of the time I was there. My GP told me to get out, which I subsequently did. Never had a chest infection since...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 19:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
It's a shame for the job losses but environmentally 'Cockers' will not be missed. I worked there in 1985 and was plagued with chest infections all of the time I was there. My GP told me to get out, which I subsequently did. Never had a chest infection since...
Cockers is but a memory now - I took a walk round there last year when I visited Ossy. All that was left were the fence, the gatehouse & the redbrick research laboratory and office buildings. All the plant, engineers, plumbers, electricians & blacksmith shops demolished. A watchman told us it was going to become a horse-riding centre.

I worked there for about 5 years in the 60s/70s and (like Lettie) had a bad chest for the whole time - kinda like asthma attacks. It cleared up within 6 months of leaving and I've never had any further problem. It did provide employment for Ossy folk but also killed a good number before their time!

Having worked there I shudder to think what went down the drain and what has been left in the ground.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:18   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Cockers is but a memory now - I took a walk round there last year when I visited Ossy. All that was left were the fence, the gatehouse & the redbrick research laboratory and office buildings. All the plant, engineers, plumbers, electricians & blacksmith shops demolished. A watchman told us it was going to become a horse-riding centre.

I worked there for about 5 years in the 60s/70s and (like Lettie) had a bad chest for the whole time - kinda like asthma attacks. It cleared up within 6 months of leaving and I've never had any further problem. It did provide employment for Ossy folk but also killed a good number before their time!

Having worked there I shudder to think what went down the drain and what has been left in the ground.
I lived on Eagle Street in Ossy in the late 60s early 70s which was across the field from cockers, I have suffered with a chronic chest for over 30 years, sure cockers wasn't to blame but it sure as hell didn't help
Old 02-07-2010, 09:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I lived on Eagle Street in Ossy in the late 60s early 70s which was across the field from cockers, I have suffered with a chronic chest for over 30 years, sure cockers wasn't to blame but it sure as hell didn't help
If I remenber correctly, some years ago my brother Mike was involved (with others) in a petition against Cockers because of all the cases of MS in and around the factory.
I don't know what happened other than discovering that every time Cocker's were brought to court, they just paid the fines and then continued poisoning the air.
I'm sure you are all a lot healthier now.
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:34   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Think jaysay might dispute that sue.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:39   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If I remenber correctly, some years ago my brother Mike was involved (with others) in a petition against Cockers because of all the cases of MS in and around the factory.
I don't know what happened other than discovering that every time Cocker's were brought to court, they just paid the fines and then continued poisoning the air.
My first wife carried on living in that area after we spilt, in 72, sadly she died from MS in 1988
Old 02-07-2010, 09:41   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Think jaysay might dispute that sue.
you can say that again
Old 03-07-2010, 14:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
you can say that again
Sorry about that Jaysay. I'm also trying to remember a girl I knew from that area and she died with ms. I think she was married to a lad I used to play tennis with.
Could it be Pete Shorrock?
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 16:31   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Sorry about that Jaysay. I'm also trying to remember a girl I knew from that area and she died with ms. I think she was married to a lad I used to play tennis with.
Could it be Pete Shorrock?
Used to work wi Pete, lived up top of ossy,he was a wagon driver, his missus died wi that i think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..