Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2009, 18:08   #46

Re: Does anyone remember in ossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I've mentioned earlier that at one time Ossy Co-op paid out the biggest dividend in the whole country.

My grandparents used to tell me tales that 'divvy day' was like the Wild West, with people staying off work, and running up the road to spend their share of the Co-op's profits in one of the town's many pubs...if they hadn't signed the pledge.
Well Gary i am going to have to aviod your mum when i see her on the road for putting her through all this info .
But one thing it is gratefully received we all apreciate the info she is giving us its good to have our memories jogged up at our age you tend to forget the good old days when we were young .
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2009, 18:11   #47

Quote:
I've mentioned earlier that at one time Ossy Co-op paid out the biggest dividend in the whole country.

My grandparents used to tell me tales that 'divvy day' was like the Wild West, with people staying off work, and running up the road to spend their share of the Co-op's profits in one of the town's many pubs...if they hadn't signed the pledge.
Forgot to say i will buy you a drink when i see you out and about for all your info or 2 custards at your place and a cup of tea how about that.
Old 14-02-2009, 18:13   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi38 View Post
Well Gary i am going to have to aviod your mum when i see her on the road for putting her through all this info .
But one thing it is gratefully received we all apreciate the info she is giving us its good to have our memories jogged up at our age you tend to forget the good old days when we were young .
I did ask her about the boy from the tripe shop, Alan Crawshaw, she said he was a 'bonny lad', but didn't know him well because he was older than her. Sorry.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 18:38   #49
God Member

Quote:
I did ask her about the boy from the tripe shop, Alan Crawshaw, she said he was a 'bonny lad', but didn't know him well because he was older than her. Sorry.
I was in the same class as Alan Crawshaw at Rhyddings.

He was'nt a 'bonny lad' at all he was as ungy as sin? . If its the same lad he will be 69/70 years young.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 21:08   #50
Senior Member+

Isn,t the tripe shop now the fitness equipment rental shop?
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 10:39   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Isn,t the tripe shop now the fitness equipment rental shop?
Yes you are right it is the fitness shop well not actually a fitness shop Mark hires the machines out i think for you to use ay home.
Old 15-02-2009, 10:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I was in the same class as Alan Crawshaw at Rhyddings.

He was'nt a 'bonny lad' at all he was as ungy as sin? . If its the same lad he will be 69/70 years young.
You are right age wise but not ugly as sin you are going worse i will send you photo of him i married him in a pantomine at sunday school when i was abot 10 it was called Tom Thumbs Wedding anyone remember that.
Old 15-02-2009, 12:00   #53

Quote:

Everyone had a divvy number ours was 1339
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 12:06   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There was one on Catlow Hall St, at the bottom of Fielding Lane, and one up Stanhill. I can't remember where the other one was, maybe the West End.
Think there still is one over West End, mate of mine had it, used to deliver too in a fruit and veg van, dropped stuff of for me sometimes. I'm talking about ordinary Grocers shop here not CO-OP

Last edited by jaysay; 15-02-2009 at 12:09.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 12:14   #55
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
Everyone had a divvy number ours was 1339
Was a big thing, divvy day when I was a lad, can remember going with my grandma up t the top co-op as we called to collect it, but remember the number though. Having said that its just reminded be about the Co-Op chemists accross from the Town Hall, Harry Clark was the chemist,
Old 15-02-2009, 13:48   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was a big thing, divvy day when I was a lad, can remember going with my grandma up t the top co-op as we called to collect it, but remember the number though. Having said that its just reminded be about the Co-Op chemists accross from the Town Hall, Harry Clark was the chemist,
ye i forgot about him now lets go up from the top of simpson street starting with Percy Denners pet shop that will test your age.
Or we could go starting from Irish League starting with Bobby Lambs fruit& vedge come on now lets hear all you old ossy folk.
Old 15-02-2009, 17:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There was one down near the Palladium on the corner of Collier Street Rindi and the if I remember rightly the one where your Dad had the night club had a Tailors and Hardware as well as food
the co-op had one up stanhill, west end, new lane,fielding lane all grocery shoe shop,ladies wear, tailors, hardware, grocers, dance /meeting rooms, butchers all on union road top end, furniture grocers pharmacy all bottom end and
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 19:01   #58
Give, give, give member

Quote:
ye i forgot about him now lets go up from the top of simpson street starting with Percy Denners pet shop that will test your age.
Or we could go starting from Irish League starting with Bobby Lambs fruit& vedge come on now lets hear all you old ossy folk.
I'm afraid being born in 1965 means I can't go way back.

I do know that what's now my brother's shop, and before that my dad's, and granddad's, who bought it in 1945, used to be Sam Boot's bakery, and before he aquired just before the Great War it had been a chip shop.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 02:03   #59
Senior Member+

Don,t forget about Jimmy Stevies pie shop at the top of Cross St.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2009, 11:31   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Or we could go starting from Irish League starting with Bobby Lambs fruit& veg come on now lets hear all you old ossy folk.
Good grief can remember both those Marian, How about Birches cycle shop on Tinker brow, Nellie Barns fruit and veg opposite St Paul's School, and Miss Mackinsons toffee shop on the same block together with Mrs Riley's Herbalist, Chan's Chip the first Chinese I can ever remember, was next door to John Scholes newsagents both between the Horse Shoe and the Prince of Wales pubs. Bureau Wine Shop, Baldwins Fruit and Veg and Adams toffee shop all on the same block between the Town Hall and Emric Eccles Chemists

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..