Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Stuart Hartley
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 2 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08   #1
Junior Member+

Fracking

Dear Ossy Folk

Should the people of Ossy be concerned about 'fracking' in any adjacent area that reaches even the boundaries of our town? This was once a mining town and we live above old coal mining tunnels and shafts and subsidence is not uncommon - the lintel over my front door is fractured due to subsidence, although the surveyor reassures me it is safe.

I include below part of a GREENPEACE email that includes a draft letter for posting to one's local Councillors (enter postcode). If this concerns you at all please forward a copy of the letter to your Councillors, perhaps a copy to our MP Graham Jones.
Fracking - or hydraulic fracturing - is a destructive and dirty process using a mixture of water and chemicals to blast rocks and release trapped gas and oil. Not only have these chemicals been linked to water contamination, but burning more gas pumps more carbon pollution into the air which warms the planet further, melting the Arctic faster and destabilising our weather systems even more.
Very soon, we could all be well and truly fracked.
As you read this, people in Sussex are blockading a proposed fracking site near the village of Balcombe, trying to stop drilling equipment from entering.

Balcombe is the fracking frontline and what’s happening there could soon be happening in your area. Email your local councillors and tell them you don’t want fracking near you.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/pag...52199895/VEsE/

Big energy companies are lining up to start fracking operations throughout the UK and there are a huge number of proposed sites. Already, 64% of England is under consideration for fracking so they could soon be coming to a field near you.

But you can stop the fracking before it starts. Local councils have to give planning permission before drilling can begin and are obliged to take your views into account. So tell your councillors that your area is off-limits to fracking.
cmonstanley and maxthecollie like this.

Last edited by Stuart Hartley; 03-08-2013 at 11:12.
Stuart Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Fracking

We already have at least one thread on this topic.

Below is part of your quote, it is a rather daft comment you quoted from Greenpeace. If we don't burn gas from fracking we will only buy it in from elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hartley View Post
but burning more gas pumps more carbon pollution into the air which warms the planet further, melting the Arctic faster and destabilising our weather systems even more.
Old 03-08-2013, 13:13   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
We already have at least one thread on this topic.
This is the fourth

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 13:21   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Fracking

Dear Stewart, aren't you being rather exclusive just worrying about Ossy?
If its as bad as the propagandist's say we and the whole of Lancashire will disappear into a gigantic sink hole, die from pollution, or even worse, suffer a decrease in house prices.

Yes there has been mining in the area, yes it has caused subsidence in some areas.

Surely therefore because we and you especially have cracks in our lintels, need we worry about any other damage that may occur?

We are after all, expendable.

Last edited by Less; 03-08-2013 at 13:23.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:00   #5
God Member

maybe he knows something you dont
Old 03-08-2013, 14:12   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Fracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
maybe he knows something you dont
Perhaps he does? I don't know him, he gets the benefit of the doubt, whereas I know you and no doubt at all, calling you thick could be nothing but a compliment.
Have you ever considered putting thought into your posts?
Sorry, I shouldn't take the pee, thought isn't in your vocabulary!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:35   #7
God Member

cheers less
Old 05-08-2013, 15:50   #8
Junior Member+

Daft or not (strange negative comment) - I guess you don't live in Ossy and if you do, then you may not live in an area covered by mining tunnels.
Old 05-08-2013, 15:53   #9
Junior Member+

I used to post to this forum quite a few years ago but stopped because of the negativity and rudeness of many posts (not all) it seems that nothing has changed so I'll happily drop out. Please don't bother posting as I will not be reading - pointless, just seems like a load of adolescents.
Old 05-08-2013, 17:22   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Hartley View Post
I used to post to this forum quite a few years ago but stopped because of the negativity and rudeness of many posts (not all) it seems that nothing has changed so I'll happily drop out. Please don't bother posting as I will not be reading - pointless, just seems like a load of adolescents.
Another dummy spitter? Well stuart prior to 2013 (This Year) Yeh posted 3 times, once in 2007, n twice in 2011, so to make that claim is utter rubbish. But yeh wont read this will yeh.
jaysay and Barrie Yates like this.
Old 12-08-2013, 22:06   #11

Any fracking applications for Hyndburn will be dealt with by Lancashire County Council as they are responsible for mineral extraction. Hyndburn Borough Council would be a statutory consultee. If you wish to lobby local Councillors therefore it would be better to contact your County Councillor rather than your Borough Councillors.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:23   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Another dummy spitter? Well stuart prior to 2013 (This Year) Yeh posted 3 times, once in 2007, n twice in 2011, so to make that claim is utter rubbish. But yeh wont read this will yeh.
Ya mean you won't miss Stuart, Cashy missing you already
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 23:16   #13

Stuart H - two words 'lighten up'. Personally I love the banter, have many a chuckle - or maybe that's because (to your way of thinking) the older I get the more adolescent I become....and I'll drink to that!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..