Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2013, 07:34   #16
JCB

Re: Horses over Harvey street fields

Possibly they are the same two horses that were tethered on the field bordered by Fairfield St. and Coal Pit Lane about a year ago .

Children play on the field and there were health concerns for them .

It took some time to have them removed because of lack of knowledge as to who were owners of the field .

I know that Cllr Pam Barton was involved with trying to solve the problem . She may be able to offer advice , and I am sure she would reply to any e-mail from those concerned about the present situation .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2013, 09:04   #17
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Possibly they are the same two horses that were tethered on the field bordered by Fairfield St. and Coal Pit Lane about a year ago .

Children play on the field and there were health concerns for them .

It took some time to have them removed because of lack of knowledge as to who were owners of the field .

I know that Cllr Pam Barton was involved with trying to solve the problem . She may be able to offer advice , and I am sure she would reply to any e-mail from those concerned about the present situation .
Sorry , should have given you this link if it helps :-
Councillors - Pam Barton
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 12:34   #18

I once had stayed the night at my friend's flat, went outside in the morning to sit and read the paper and there was this horse nuzzling into me all of a sudden!

The flats had a communal grassy area all around them that was enclosed by a fence so I guess some travellers had decided to dump their two horses there whilst they weren't needing them.
They were both very placid and friendly-I was able to check them over and they seemed healthy if a bit scruffy. but I did feel sorry for them. Whoever put them there obviously didn't care much for their welfare, it wasn't a nice area and some unsavoury characters lived in those flats..
Old 23-03-2013, 14:28   #19
Beacon of light

it had a happy ending t hough Sugarmouse...the horse got to nuzle you and you checked it over...so not all bad eh?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:10   #20

Yes I think so
It happens quite a lot near where I'm from-horses tethered in random places. These weren't tethered though . I like to think that their lovely temperaments meant that they must have been generally well treated.
I gave them fresh water and a few treats. Was slightly tempted to steal them!
Old 24-03-2013, 10:57   #21
Senior Member+

Where would you put them?. In your campervan?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:11   #22
Full Member+

That's just it! I don't want them moved just for the sake of it. , I was concerned about them being outside in all weather's. But, as someone has mentioned recently the Dartmoor ponies live outside all year long in all sorts of adverse weather. I hope they are okay and that the weather warms up soon for them.
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 20:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Where would you put them?. In your campervan?
Damn I never did think of that. Could have turned it into a horsebox
Old 24-03-2013, 20:20   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
That's just it! I don't want them moved just for the sake of it. , I was concerned about them being outside in all weather's. But, as someone has mentioned recently the Dartmoor ponies live outside all year long in all sorts of adverse weather. I hope they are okay and that the weather warms up soon for them.
They should never have been left there fouling up the land where kids play. I hope notice has been served and they are removed soon.

Why notice needs to be served must be some stupid legal thing, I think they should just take away any horse tethered on land without the owners permission
cashman and jaysay like this.
Old 24-03-2013, 20:34   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Why notice needs to be served must be some stupid legal thing, I think they should just take away any horse tethered on land without the owners permission
Spot on, theres too much namby pambying about these days wi complete wasters.
Old 25-03-2013, 08:41   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They should never have been left there fouling up the land where kids play. I hope notice has been served and they are removed soon.

Ya Neil could never understand why HBCs hands were tied when moving gypsies on, it took around 2 to 3 days to get an injunction, but was only for that one site on that day they could move somewhere else and park up without any problems, a nonsense if you ask me.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 09:23   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Neil could never understand why HBCs hands were tied when moving gypsies on, it took around 2 to 3 days to get an injunction, but was only for that one site on that day they could move somewhere else and park up without any problems, a nonsense if you ask me.
That's the fault of the courts not the Council though. I know for a fact they work as fast as they are allowed to by law.
Old 25-03-2013, 10:02   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's the fault of the courts not the Council though. I know for a fact they work as fast as they are allowed to by law.
I know that Neil, wasn't having a pop at HBC for once, its the law that's a nonsense and not fit for purpose
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 00:57   #29

As a Ward Councillor I tried to get help from the RSPCA when a horse was tethered in poor conditions at the rear of Stone Bridge Lane & Catlow Hall Street, Oswaldtwistle. Several residents felt sorry for the horse and were feeding it. The RSPCA were not at all sympathetic. They said that the residents should stop feeding it as otherwise it was not possible to assess the conditions under which the horse was kept. I was later told that HAPPA, a horse charity whose nearest branch is in in Burnley, checked on the horse every few weeks. I wasn't satisfied with the response I received. One older lady who was feeding the horse was so worried about it that she could hardly sleep at night.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 10:02   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Can you blame the RSPCA for not wanting to get involved? They know who will own the horse just like everyone else does who sees them tethered about the Borough.
As a Local Councillor you must have heard about the problems HBC have had when they try and remove horses. Even the Police don't want to be involved

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..