Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2013, 08:49   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Horses over Harvey street fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Addison View Post
As a Ward Councillor I tried to get help from the RSPCA when a horse was tethered in poor conditions at the rear of Stone Bridge Lane & Catlow Hall Street, Oswaldtwistle. Several residents felt sorry for the horse and were feeding it. The RSPCA were not at all sympathetic. They said that the residents should stop feeding it as otherwise it was not possible to assess the conditions under which the horse was kept. I was later told that HAPPA, a horse charity whose nearest branch is in in Burnley, checked on the horse every few weeks. I wasn't satisfied with the response I received. One older lady who was feeding the horse was so worried about it that she could hardly sleep at night.
The RSPCA in my opinion will only act fast if they are on the telly or you tell them it is very urgent as the animal is in pain. About 2 years me and several other people contacted the RSPCA on a lot of occasions about a border collie kept in a " rabbit hutch" for want of a better description .The wooden box was less than 2 ft square with a 6 inch square piece of netting in the front. It was when we had two or three hot days together and the dog had no access to water or food and was lying in it's own muck. I checked on this dog every day .It was on a track parallel with the A56 Accy By pass.I checked on this dog every day as we walked that way. Eventually, ONE Saturday morning it had managed to get it's nose out and the netting was very near getting into it's eyes. I rang the RSPCA from there and gave them directions. When I got home an inspector was waiting for me. I went up with her in her van and she was disgusted. What happened from there I do not know.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-03-2013, 09:18   #32
Resting in Peace

I often watch programs on Animal Planet which follow Americas equivalent of our RAPCA, these people don't stand any messing what-so-ever, they are also armed and have powers of arrest, if they find animals are being miss treated in any way, people regularly get jailed for animal cruelty
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:19   #33
Resting in Peace

sorry wrong thread
Old 28-03-2013, 09:32   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I often watch programs on Animal Planet which follow Americas equivalent of our RAPCA, these people don't stand any messing what-so-ever, they are also armed and have powers of arrest, if they find animals are being miss treated in any way, people regularly get jailed for animal cruelty
The RSPCA have not got the same powers of our American cousins If they had we might not get as much animal cruelty
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:38   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
The RSPCA have not got the same powers of our American cousins If they had we might not get as much animal cruelty
They don't mess about Frank, they deal it out in spades if you treat animals bad

Last edited by jaysay; 28-03-2013 at 09:40.
Old 30-03-2013, 10:37   #36

Hi i know its awful seeing those poor horses in this weather.not only that countless times ive shouted at heartless kids for throwing things and winding them up.ive seen a man at times moving them round..the field is full of 'crop circles now.lol
Susie Beee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 11:14   #37
Full Member+

I've seen them getting jumpy when the local numpties decide to race their motorbikes around. Also, well done for solving the mystery of crop circles.!
westendlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 09:22   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Beee View Post
Hi i know its awful seeing those poor horses in this weather.not only that countless times ive shouted at heartless kids for throwing things and winding them up.ive seen a man at times moving them round..the field is full of 'crop circles now.lol
Its not the circles that bother me, its the mess the horses leave behind making the area unusable by the rest of us.

I still say they should be removed as soon as they are left somewhere without permission. The owner should have to pay a large fine and the cost of removing and housing the horse. If they haven't paid after 7 days then its burger time.
Old 31-03-2013, 09:27   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Its not the circles that bother me, its the mess the horses leave behind making the area unusable by the rest of us.

I still say they should be removed as soon as they are left somewhere without permission. The owner should have to pay a large fine and the cost of removing and housing the horse. If they haven't paid after 7 days then its burger time.
Quite right Neil, if people don't have their own land to graze horses they shouldn't keep them. By putting them out to graze on public lands is not only disrespectful to other people who may want to use this land, but as you say they also leave a mess behind them too
Old 31-03-2013, 09:50   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Quite right Neil, if people don't have their own land to graze horses they shouldn't keep them. By putting them out to graze on public lands is not only disrespectful to other people who may want to use this land, but as you say they also leave a mess behind them too
Was it last year 2 horses were on that land on Fairfield Street?
I am told it stunk when they finally went making it unusable by the kids.

I would be interested to know what illegal horses cost HBC each year and if they spent that money on keeping the grass short would it stop the grazing problem.
Old 31-03-2013, 09:55   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I would be interested to know what illegal horses cost HBC each year and if they spent that money on keeping the grass short would it stop the grazing problem.
Very interesting Neil, maybe our council mouth piece can let us know
Old 31-03-2013, 09:58   #42
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:

That used to be you
Old 31-03-2013, 10:00   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That used to be you
You always got the right info though
Old 31-03-2013, 10:22   #44
JCB

Quote:

Yes , that's correct . I referred to it in #16 .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 10:27   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Dream on yeh clown.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..