Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2011, 17:49   #16

Re: Lower Aspden Cottage Oswaldtwistle

Thank you very much, Wadey. It looks far too respectable to have a murder committed there. Am I allowed to copy the picture? I'm hoping to do a new edition of Broadleys in Clayton le Moors soon and for some of the families I have no pictures of people, and I end up with headstones, lots of pictures of those. If I can copy it, what do I write by way of acknowledgement? Thank you, Marie
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2013, 23:05   #17

I was very interested in your post about Aspen Cottage as my Mum, Bessie Procter was born there. Her Grandparents lived there for about 60 years. Harry and Alice Clements moved to Oswaldtwistle in about 1890 from Wheatley in Oxfordshire. He got a job as a gardener for the owners of Aspen Cottage and eventually the couple became the tenants. The cottage dates back to the Tudor times and possibly even as early as the 14th century. Rumor has it there is a tunnel linking the house to Church Kirk Church and was used by the monks to enable them to go to Church undetected.
Lorraine Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 23:51   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Procter View Post
I was very interested in your post about Aspen Cottage as my Mum, Bessie Procter was born there. Her Grandparents lived there for about 60 years. Harry and Alice Clements moved to Oswaldtwistle in about 1890 from Wheatley in Oxfordshire. He got a job as a gardener for the owners of Aspen Cottage and eventually the couple became the tenants. The cottage dates back to the Tudor times and possibly even as early as the 14th century. Rumor has it there is a tunnel linking the house to Church Kirk Church and was used by the monks to enable them to go to Church undetected.
That sounds very similar to the fairy tale of the one in Acc that went to Whalley Abbey. Impossible, back in those days they would have needed explosives to tunnel so far, 4 metres down and its mostly solid rock, the only explosive known at that time was gunpowder, and you would have needed tons of the stuff.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 00:20   #19

I did say ' rumor ' had it. LOL
Lorraine Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 19:15   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That sounds very similar to the fairy tale of the one in Acc that went to Whalley Abbey. Impossible, back in those days they would have needed explosives to tunnel so far, 4 metres down and its mostly solid rock, the only explosive known at that time was gunpowder, and you would have needed tons of the stuff.
I know when the Esso garage next to the Swan on Abbey Street was being built my dad told me that when they were digging down to lay the concrete over the footpath next to the church , a very large crater appeared
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 04:18   #21

Hello, I have just discovered this web site. I am the great grand daughter of Harry & Alice Clements. My father, John (Ian) Clements lived in Aspen Cottage for 1-2 years in approx. 1919. His father, James Charles Clements died in WWI and his wife, Isabella (McNaught) brought her three children over to visit with their grandparents.
My father & I traveled to the old family home in 1985. Aunt Bessie no longer lived there but we met Mr. & Mrs. Douglas. They kindly allowed us to tour the house & my father shared several stories of his time there. I took several pictures of the house & shed. There was a cross on the roof & my father stated that the house was 500-600 yr. old. He reported that the house was originally a dormitory for monks and he also told the story of the hidden underground passage to the church.
The pictures I have seen posted of the house seem different from mine. I will post mine when I relocate them.
Bessie was my great aunt and now I see her daughter lives in the province beside me! I live in the Vancouver area of BC.I hope we can connect!
Heather1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..