Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2009, 17:40   #1

Lower Aspden Cottage Oswaldtwistle

Has anyone got a photograph of Lower Aspden Cottage, or knows where I can get one from. I have just found some of my long lost relatives in Adelaide South Australia whilst doing my family tree.
One relation out there, was the gtgrandson of a gentleman who lived at the cottage, and died there in 1946.I would love to be able to send them a photograph so it can be put in their family tree.
Hope someone can help Thanks
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-05-2009, 22:24   #2

Re: Lower Aspden Cottage Oswaldtwistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
Has anyone got a photograph of Lower Aspden Cottage, or knows where I can get one from. I have just found some of my long lost relatives in Adelaide South Australia whilst doing my family tree.
One relation out there, was the gtgrandson of a gentleman who lived at the cottage, and died there in 1946.I would love to be able to send them a photograph so it can be put in their family tree.
Hope someone can help Thanks
is this the one behind the hare and hounds ??
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:52   #3

From Spearthrower. I live near Aspen cottages which are down Lower Aspen Lane which starts at the side of the Hare & Hounds pub on Blackburn road, West End, Ossy. In 2004 an Australian man came over to see to selling of the cottage. After it was sold the cottage was renovated and converted into two cottages . One of the cottages is now for sale with attached stabling for about £300,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASPEN COTTS.JPG (39.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg ASPEN VALLEY EARLY 1900'sASPEN COTT ON RIGHTt.JPG (46.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg LOWER-ASPEN-COTTAGES-2008.JPG (51.3 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by spearthrower; 12-06-2009 at 16:57.
spearthrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 21:01   #4

Hi thanks for the photographs do you mind if I copy them and send them on to Australia?
Tess
Old 28-08-2009, 18:04   #5

It's ok to copy them. I'm interested in the history of Ossy and I think I have some details of Hindles living at Aspen hundreds of years ago. If I can find the document on my computer I will copy to you if you wish. Spearthrower.
Old 29-08-2009, 16:06   #6

Thanks very much I'd love it.
Tess
Old 29-08-2009, 16:18   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

I used to know someone who lived in the left-hand cottage (it was 2 cottages), when I was a teenager, and I often went inside. It was very nicly done out then, in the 1950s, but I can imagine it now and I bet it's beautiful.

Mrs Feathers, who had the farm at that time, once told me that ancient maps showed there had been a chapel on the site a couple of centuries ago. I don't know how old the present building is or if that was adapted.
Old 31-08-2009, 09:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthrower View Post
It's ok to copy them. I'm interested in the history of Ossy and I think I have some details of Hindles living at Aspen hundreds of years ago. If I can find the document on my computer I will copy to you if you wish. Spearthrower.
There is a gravestone in St James's churchyard at church for William Hindle of Aspen who died in 1633
Old 03-09-2009, 18:42   #9

I had relatives who lived in Aspin Lane End/Hare & Hounds in the middle of the 1800s.
I happened to notice a Robert Hindle and family, address Aspin, on the 1851 census at least.
Good Luck.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 07:34   #10

Hi David have you still got the details of the 1851 census.
Tess
Old 25-09-2009, 19:21   #11

Hi Tess,
Sorry for the delay but I've been away on a short break. Fortunately for you I recorded all of the entries on this particular census sheet. The Hindle entries are at the top of the page and begin with a Robert Hindle who was a 13-year old boy and a labourer at a print works. Four more children and a lodger follow. The parents' entries must be on the previous page. If you want more info on these entries perhaps you can give me another way of contacting you and that way we shan't bore all of the other good people on this topic?
Best wishes,
David
Old 01-10-2009, 20:18   #12

Hi David, I have tried to send you a private message (4 times but I keep getting an error) to thank you for all your trouble in getting me the census details. I will be a great help to wards my tree, well my husbands and mine. There are hundreds of Hindles and they are probably all related somewhere along the line. Anyway thanks once again. Theresa
Old 04-10-2009, 20:02   #13

My pleasure, Theresa.
Old 21-01-2011, 20:47   #14

I was interested in this conversation because you mentioned the Hare and Hounds. George Broadley was the innkeeper there in the 1860s when the dreadful Riley murder took place. It seems that George, an ex-miner, then gave up innkeeping and went to Morley to work as a miner. He died in 1866. Are there any pictures of the Hare and Hounds? many thanks, Marie Ball
Marie Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 21:08   #15

Marie, I have a photo in The Gallery

Hare & Hounds, 331 Blackburn Road, Oswaldtwistle - Accrington Gallery
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..