Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2006, 21:47   #1

MUGA Multi Usage Games Area Harvey Street

Does anyone know of the proposed plans to build a MUGA Multi Usage Games Area
Behind the Harvey Street Community Centre…. I was at a meeting there the other night… St Andrews School have offered their grounds for this purpose and seem more than happy to support it:
Most of the residents in and around the back of the Harvey Street centre were against it being there…. Because of the noise and possible vandalism and so on that they feel it would create…..
Just wondering what the rest of you think …. And also if you had heard of these plans ( not many had)
yone is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2006, 21:51   #2
God Member

Re: MUGA Multi Usage Games Area Harvey Street

I live at the back of Harvey St and hadn't heard anything so would be interested to know more.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 21:53   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I think it is a very good idea. I used to live near a similar area when I lived in Burnley and we never had any noise or trouble.
You can't just complain about our teenagers hanging around on street corners and expect then to vanish into thin air. We have to give them somewhere to go so they will not want to hang around the streets. It has been shown in many towns and cities that these youth type areas/shelters reduce vandelism and youth caused problems. I know the local Police are in favour of them, I was talking to them recently on the subject.
Old 28-06-2006, 22:00   #4

Hi Neil...
I agree 100% the kids need somewhere to go.... like I said St Andrews have said they can have it there... where it will not be too near houses...: that's the point I am making:
Old 28-06-2006, 22:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I live at the back of Harvey St and hadn't heard anything so would be interested to know more.
The Youth club there... would like to have this MUGA at the back of the centre... where the car park is: but they have not let everyone in the area know: I am sure maybe you would have gone to this meeting had you known about it...

I will post more info on here when I get some:
Old 02-07-2006, 13:24   #6

I also attended the meeting on tuesday. Loyola scout group had not been informed about the MUGA until 2 weeks previous and we now understand there had already been several meetings. There were many objections and we offered our concerns about further vandalism to our building if the facility was not monitored 24/7. There is a further meeting on tues 12 sept 7pm.
Mariam82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 16:23   #7
God Member

They have certainly not publicised it very well to local residents. Yes, I would have been interested in going.

In principle I don't have any objections to this sort of thing because like Neil said, you can't expect the youths to vanish into thin air so you have to provide somewhere for them to hang out. I do need to know more though!

Old 02-07-2006, 16:33   #8
God Member

I agree they are needed but in all honesty I wouldn't like anything like that near me.. Its clever how they have all these meetings and hardly anyone knows about them. They could spring something on me and my nieghbours anytime and say there where meetings.
Old 02-07-2006, 18:47   #9

Well that's the point I am making... not many know about it... we only found out by pure chance of this latest meeting.... plus like I said the school seem more than happy to have it on their grounds....
but the youth club seem to want it on their own land: I will be taking pics of that area and you will see how run down it is.... anyway we will make sure everyone knows about the next meeting we will get some information sheets out and about...oh the young people seem well up-todate on what's going on ( strange but true the people who live in the area did'nt know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
I agree they are needed but in all honesty I wouldn't like anything like that near me.. Its clever how they have all these meetings and hardly anyone knows about them. They could spring something on me and my nieghbours anytime and say there where meetings.
Old 02-07-2006, 18:51   #10
God Member

I wonder if the Councillor has been informed. It might be worth notifying Cllr Britcliffe and/or Cllr Walmsley about it - they might already know about it but if they don't, they should!

Old 02-07-2006, 19:39   #11

does anyone have contact details for Cllr Britcliffe... I have just moved to the area .... then I will write to him: thanks:
Old 02-07-2006, 19:47   #12
God Member

Hyndburn Borough Council, Scaitcliffe House, Ormerod Street, Accrington, BB5 0PF

Telephone number +44 (0) 1254 388 111

Fax number +44 (0) 1254 392 597

Old 25-07-2006, 11:55   #13
Junior Member+

Yes I am sure they will stop drinking and vandelising so they can play 5 aside, after all they can't destroy much more of the fire station.
devil in disguise is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..