Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2008, 18:47   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

ossy mills £3million expansion plan

former GB Timber shop at the corner of Union Road and Moscow Mill Street converted into a stone-built glass-fronted building.

more here.............
3m On The Menu For New Food Hall (from Lancashire Telegraph)

wonder where the next carpark will be then??
Old 15-02-2008, 19:49   #2
God Member

Re: ossy mills £3million expansion plan

I saw this in the paper the other day. I noticed that, as part of these new plans, Ossy Mills have applied to the council for planning permission for a mini roundabout at the junction of Moscow Mill Street and Union Road.

Let's hope permission is granted, it's a nightmare getting out of that junction, especially if you want to turn right. You can be stuck there for ages.
Old 15-02-2008, 20:56   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
former GB Timber shop at the corner of Union Road and Moscow Mill Street converted into a stone-built glass-fronted building.

more here.............
3m On The Menu For New Food Hall (from Lancashire Telegraph)

wonder where the next carpark will be then??
Don't hold yer' breath, they are susceptible to many pipe dreams and U-turns .. the GB building was going to be the new craft centre. Mmmm that's changed .. Now switched to Clifton Mill (plans for hotel and rented out business premises at one time) .. can't move in 'til the parent company there moves out which is dependent on premises at Junction 7 Business park, which seems to be delayed later and later (already on 2nd premises now !)

Mini-roundabout .. well, nowt clever about that idea .. lights, etc., long overdue and mentioned before on here.

Can't see that this add on it will attract many local shoppers and think not an awful lot of extra catchments from their coach trips. Must be getting exhausted by now.

Only planning permission at the end of the day .. they just testing the water.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 21:01   #4
God Member

I wouldn't advise anyone to open a shop in Ossy if this goes ahead.

Unless you're stocking something that neither Ossy Mills nor Tesco sell.

Between Ossy Mills and Tesco there's not going to be room for the small retailer.
Old 15-02-2008, 21:34   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I wouldn't advise anyone to open a shop in Ossy if this goes ahead.

Unless you're stocking something that neither Ossy Mills nor Tesco sell.

Between Ossy Mills and Tesco there's not going to be room for the small retailer.
Thing is Lilly, seems the Tesco Express destined for Ossy has been labelled as a 'Convenience Store' which (as I understand it) may open until late hours ..whilst the Co-op in Ossy cannot. (Ok don't ask me why Supermarkets can .. this is where I am confused). Ossy Mills will not be, and have to close within hours now registered. If anybody has better info. on this would be helpful.

Bernie of Clayton Co-op .. you will know this ?
Old 15-02-2008, 23:34   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
may open until late hours ..whilst the Co-op in Ossy cannot.
Sorry to ask but why is that?
Old 16-02-2008, 00:16   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Sorry to ask but why is that?
Not sure Neil to be honest .. just that I asked up at Clayton Co-op why they were open until 11 p.m. and Gt. Harwod had to shut at (say 8 0'clock) on weekdays, he just explained because they were regarded as a 'convenience store' and they were not.

That's all I know .. thought someone may be able to explain it better to me, but would appear the Tesco Express could be open later than the Co-op in Ossie because of this description.
Old 16-02-2008, 19:55   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thing is Lilly, seems the Tesco Express destined for Ossy has been labelled as a 'Convenience Store' which (as I understand it) may open until late hours ..whilst the Co-op in Ossy cannot. (Ok don't ask me why Supermarkets can .. this is where I am confused). Ossy Mills will not be, and have to close within hours now registered. If anybody has better info. on this would be helpful.

Bernie of Clayton Co-op .. you will know this ?
I didn't know that. I think that Ossy General Store and the Bargain Booze store open until 10pm so they would be convenience shops. The Bargain Booze doesn't just sell booze it sells all kinds of things, a bit like a Spar shop. I don't see these two places lasting long if Tesco open.
Old 31-08-2008, 23:43   #9
Give, give, give member

My little spy tells me the word on the street is that the proposed new development, of restaurants and food halls, has now been put on ice.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..