Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2011, 07:50   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Peel Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
According to that Lantern site - "1960s"
my guess would be early 60s, not one car on union rd.
Old 29-03-2011, 08:50   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
I was not to far out with the guess then, Franklands built a lot of private housing as well didn't they?
I worked for Franklands in the early seventies, most of the work then was housing they had quite a few sites from Clitheroe, Todmorden Feniscowles Clayton-le-Woods, Oswaldtwistle, Blackburn, and a few more
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42   #33
Bee
I am Banned

When did Franklands go bust???.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Its a good few years ago.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 15:27   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
was december either 69/70, i was made redundant from yon. that was joiners shop up ossy, site work continued though.
Old 01-05-2011, 15:33   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was december either 69/70, i was made redundant from yon. that was joiners shop up ossy, site work continued though.
I was there till lat 69 cashy was okay then
Old 01-05-2011, 15:35   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was there till lat 69 cashy was okay then
if thats case joiners shop went december 70. you weren't in joiners shop though mate.
Old 01-05-2011, 17:48   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
if thats case joiners shop went december 70. you weren't in joiners shop though mate.
No but liaise with the shop foreman, John Terry (no not him from Chelski)every day and was actually in the workshop everyday too
Old 02-05-2011, 18:33   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No but liaise with the shop foreman, John Terry (no not him from Chelski)every day and was actually in the workshop everyday too
Shop foreman back then was the Late Arthur Mather n his brother Alan was foreman of the Concast.
Old 02-05-2011, 18:52   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Shop foreman back then was the Late Arthur Mather n his brother Alan was foreman of the Concast.
JT was the joinery foreman because I dealt with him every day, Arthur was over-all Foreman, I believe when I left JT went in the office and took over the job I was doing, he married Christine the office receptionist whilst I was there, sadly John Died a couple of years ago, in his younger days was a very good cricketer, played for Enfield in the Lancs League
Old 07-06-2011, 17:20   #41
Bee
I am Banned

So why don't the council buy it and build a nice playground on it for the kids or open it as a youth club for all the kids in ossy so they don't have to trapse to New era. We often moan about kids hanging round but there is sod all for them to do in the area. Make the club a youth club with pool tables, WiFi, jukebox, big screen TV with MTV etc showing. a tuck shop for stuff to eat and drink so there IS somewhere for them to go of an evening.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 17:22   #42
God Member

Quote:
or open it as a youth club for all the kids in ossy so they don't have to trapse to New era.

Don't they have a youth club on Harvey St ?
Old 07-06-2011, 17:44   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Don't they have a youth club on Harvey St ?
Spot on Dave, it opened in the early 90s and is very well used, one has to wonder why Bee, (seeing he seems to have his antenna on the pulse) doesn't know about it already, it could be an idea if he went round there, and stopped annoying grown ups on here
Old 10-06-2011, 07:38   #44
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
So why don't the council buy it and build a nice playground on it for the kids or open it as a youth club for all the kids in ossy so they don't have to trapse to New era. We often moan about kids hanging round but there is sod all for them to do in the area. Make the club a youth club with pool tables, WiFi, jukebox, big screen TV with MTV etc showing. a tuck shop for stuff to eat and drink so there IS somewhere for them to go of an evening.
There are a few places for kids to go stuff in Ossy, Harvey Street Youth Centre, The Civic Arts Centre, Global, Scouts, Guides etc and Rhyddings Park are just the first ones to come to my tiny mind. The MUGA in Rhyddings we built is very popular and the age range using it changes between end of school time and late evening. It's like they use it in shifts.

When Peel House was closed LCC said they would use the money from selling the homes they closed to help the old people that used to be in homes.

This was the reason given by our previous LCC Councillor as to why LCC could not give or sell cheap the land to HBC who wanted to make it into a car park
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As Neil said.

There's a fantastic playground five minutes away.

A well run youth club, also five minutes walk from the site.

There's also the Civic arts centre, with tons of activities for young people, within spitting distance.

There has never been as many things for youths to do in the town.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..