Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-12-2011, 19:26   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Perfect Plaice Chippy! Union Road Ossy

Is vinegar not gluten free John?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-12-2011, 20:27   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Chip shop vinegar is made from malted barley in a similar way to brewing beer. Barley contains gluten so coeliacs cannot have malt vinegar. I suppose they could try wine vinegar or balsamic but it's not really the same is it?
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 20:57   #33
Beacon of light

I thought that they mainly used a non brewed condiment because it was cheaper.
Old 23-12-2011, 21:06   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I thought that they mainly used a non brewed condiment because it was cheaper.
I suppose it's wiser to stay away from it all just in case.

Also discovered this snippet on Wikipedia:
It dates back to the temperance movement and is used as a substitute for vinegar by people whose faith/beliefs don't allow them to take alcohol.
Old 23-12-2011, 21:12   #35
Beacon of light

Yes, I suppose it is better safe than sorry......I love chips with a good splash of vinegar.
In fact when I was a tinlid we used to buy vinegar from the barrel at the chip shop.......I used to take the bottle and get it filled up for something like threepence(old money)......on the way home I would drink some of the vinegar and fill the bottle at the horse trough down the back of our house.

My mother once said she wasn't going to buy vinegar from Mrs Mayor because she was watering it down to make more profit.......then she caught me with white lips and realised it was me watering it down. I got leathered for that.
Old 24-12-2011, 09:56   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
No Joan avoids all types of vinegar margaret
Old 28-12-2011, 04:58   #37

Glad you enjoyed it cashman, I need to stop going in I eat it too much. Be murder trying to shift the weight after the babys here lol x

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 21:32   #38
Resting In Peace

Tonight we had a chippy tea and I decided to have peas instead of my usual fish. As we had been talking on here about mixtures I decided to try and recreate one so I got a bowl but when I opened the polystyrene container of peas I was very disappointed. Inside was a solid mass of what looked like green wallpaper paste, no juice, no discernible peas. The colour was OK, not that horrible bright green, but all I could taste was bicarb.

It wouldn't have mattered if it were peas in first or chips so I just mixed it all together. It was just about edible though the chips were underdone.

This wasn't our usual chippy, it was rather upmarket looking, and I shall be interested to see if our local more traditional one does any better.

These days a portion of chips is plenty for two and costs accordingly. The fish my Richard had was also enough for two so I did have some. No wonder we're all getting fatter. Fish and chips can be an expensive meal for one if you've no one to share it with.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Tonight we had a chippy tea and I decided to have peas instead of my usual fish. As we had been talking on here about mixtures I decided to try and recreate one so I got a bowl but when I opened the polystyrene container of peas I was very disappointed. Inside was a solid mass of what looked like green wallpaper paste, no juice, no discernible peas. The colour was OK, not that horrible bright green, but all I could taste was bicarb.

It wouldn't have mattered if it were peas in first or chips so I just mixed it all together. It was just about edible though the chips were underdone.

This wasn't our usual chippy, it was rather upmarket looking, and I shall be interested to see if our local more traditional one does any better.

These days a portion of chips is plenty for two and costs accordingly. The fish my Richard had was also enough for two so I did have some. No wonder we're all getting fatter. Fish and chips can be an expensive meal for one if you've no one to share it with.
Share Fish and Chips thats a finger removing offence in my home if anybody dare try
Old 17-12-2012, 15:28   #40

That was an upside down mixture. best because your chips got soggy. The mushy peas are not the same today, they're too green, and no juice.
Our chippy did the BEST FISH CAKES not preformed ones that you can buy at the supermarket but they were a piece of proper fish, between two sliced potatoes dipped in batter then cooked.
A bit like John Bulls if you've had one of those Yummmy
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..