Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2005, 12:51   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Rhyddings park history ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
or you could just get a bottle of ''WHITE LIGHTENING'' get drunk and trash the park (oh don't forget the marker pens to vandalise everything in sight) that way even the young people will join in.
Thanks for that one slinky, I'll bring the marker pens

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2005, 16:15   #32
Give, give, give member

To anybody that might be interested in Rhyddings Park, l gave the guy that runs the ossygobbin pic site, some pictures we had of the park. There is one of my Grandpa with my Dad in the Park [1942] showing the old railings and the houses on Park Lane behind. Depending where you live your house could be on. Also a different pic we had of Hargreaves opening the Park which l don't think is on yet.
To access the new pics click on box marked updated photos.

http:/ossygobbin2003.fotopic.net

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2005, 17:01   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
To anybody that might be interested in Rhyddings Park, l gave the guy that runs the ossygobbin pic site,
http:/ossygobbin2003.fotopic.net
That is a real gem of a web site, Mike the guy behind it all must have spent many many hours on that project, loads of history on Ossy

Albert Einstein.

Old 22-03-2005, 17:25   #34
Give, give, give member

Yeah he's a really nice guy, he's a member here as ossygobbin, but mainly goes in the footy room. lt's great our history is being saved, he's had hits from all over the world.
He's always looking to ad pics with an Ossy theme.

Old 22-03-2005, 17:32   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yeah he's a really nice guy, he's a member here as ossygobbin, but mainly goes in the footy room. lt's great our history is being saved, he's had hits from all over the world.
He's always looking to ad pics with an Ossy theme.
Just been on there looking for the pic of your father in the park 1942, just out of interest to see what things were like then, but Mike must not have loaded it on yet.

Albert Einstein.

Old 22-03-2005, 17:51   #36
Give, give, give member

lts defo on, unless he's moved it since yesterday.
lt's hard to see the pics until you enlarge them. He's written underneath it 'Ernest Martin Rhyddings Park 1942, note the railings and benches are no longer there.
Which makes it sound as if they're in our back garden, which they're not!

Last edited by garinda; 22-03-2005 at 21:08.
Old 22-03-2005, 17:58   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
lts defo on, unless he's moved it since yesterday.
lt's hard to see the pics until you enlarge them. He's written underneath it 'Ernest Martin Rhyddings Park 1942, note the railings and benches are no longer there
Ok, will have another look, shame about the railings though, would have been easier to move than the wall

Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 23-03-2005 at 08:40.
Old 22-03-2005, 18:14   #38
Give, give, give member

Yeah just checked it's still on. Click on updated photos to get into main site. Park Lane photo on page showing photos 841-897. Sorry pages aren't numbered think its about page 10?

Old 22-03-2005, 18:49   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yeah just checked it's still on. Click on updated photos to get into main site. Park Lane photo on page showing photos 841-897. Sorry pages aren't numbered think its about page 10?
Ah, thank you I've found it, very interesting, the railings I think are on top of the existing park wall, all the houses on park lane had railings, but as with a lot more they were removed to help the war effort. What is interesting is what I think is a lighting column/post in the park, when we moved on the lane the street lighting was via short columns actually in the park, could have been the same ones. The photo is taken near the middle of the lane, wonder who lives in those houses now? Would have downloaded the photo, but Mike seems to have stopped the right click bit, don't blame him cause I think a lot of his photos have been copied.
It is sad that the park is no longer what it was, just think if the "hall" and the ornate gardens had been preserved, but that was not to be. All I see is the lass that works in the park picking up all the empty cans, bottles and litter each morning.
HBC did apply for a lottery grant in 1996 to try to restore the park, but nothing came of it.

Albert Einstein.

Old 28-03-2005, 12:42   #40

thanks to jelly baby and Park381 for the Photo and the info on oswaldtwistle I have to watch what I'm useing on info Photos as to copy-right I'm always after info and Photos of ossy I know there is lots in the Library but at £5 to £6 a copy forget it I will just have to keep my ears and eyes open and ask round like I have be doing the last few years most of the Photos the old ones that is have come folks that there dad Mam did are had but the to day Photo I did are folks like you have sent them in I always ask if I know were they have come from ==== thanks every one Mike ossygobbin.
Old 28-03-2005, 15:36   #41
Senior Member+

Mike, no problem only to glad to help record a little of the history of ossy, if I come across any more I will pass them on to you.

Cheers and keep up the good work

Albert Einstein.

Old 12-04-2005, 20:20   #42
Senior Member+

Hot off the press, HBC to apply for a £1M Heritage Lottery Grant..........to restore Rhyddings Park to it's former glory. Mike get those pics of the hall and park ready

Albert Einstein.

Old 12-04-2005, 20:26   #43

wow Park thats brill news hope it all works out I have the Photos on file and I will have them ready also other things I know about that are hiden in the Park can't say to much right now thanks for the info
Old 12-04-2005, 20:35   #44
Senior Member+

It would be a great thing for the area, and they want residents or "friends of the park" to have a say in what is done in there.That makes a change ..........oh sorry that's a condition of the Heritage people.

Albert Einstein.

Old 12-04-2005, 20:39   #45

thats cool with me someone to keep an eye over thing PUT MY NAME ON THE LIST I WILL BE THERE --BRILL NEWS FOR EVERY ONE

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..