Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 18:53   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

spruce up for ossy

it says in the observer that the war memorial is set to be improved....by chopping a tree down and having a ornate railing around the momument!

also the co-op car park, they say by 'sprucing it up' people will be less inclined to drop litter...............yeh right

oh and also pruning nearby trees outside st pauls school

have they missed summat here?
what about the bloody paladium?

shouldnt they be thinking about doing something with that sh!t hole??
Old 10-01-2008, 22:26   #2

Re: spruce up for ossy

How can they spruce up a car park?

There's the old fire station too that's an eyesore.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:17   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
it says in the observer that the war memorial is set to be improved..also the co-op car park, they say by 'sprucing it up' people will be less inclined to drop litter...
have they missed summat here?
what about the bloody paladium?

shouldnt they be thinking about doing something with that sh!t hole??
The Paladium and fire station don't belong to the Council so how can they tidy them up. Do you think our council tax money should be used to renovate private property because the owners has let it decay?

I saw the plans for this work at the Area Council meeting and welcome most improvement work in our town.

Your post is typical of someone who is not interested in finding out what is really going on and just want to complain about everything the Council do.

Next you will be saying they should not put up 3 new cctv camera's in Ossy or that the Council should not have spent money renovating the pets corner in Rhyddings park.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:41   #4
God Member

Neil, I was at that meeting too and I'm not sure if I can remember right but didn't they say that only two out of the three were definitely going to be done? Didn't we have a vote as to which two it was going to be?

I hope, if the report is correct, they've found the funding for all three as that would be great.

As for the Paladium and Fire Station - yes, they're horrid but they're privately owned, along with the space outside the Civic Theatre which has had planning permission granted for some houses but since knocking the old folks home down ages ago they haven't laid a single brick. Unfortunately, I doubt there's anything the council can do about that either!!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The Paladium and fire station don't belong to the Council so how can they tidy them up. Do you think our council tax money should be used to renovate private property because the owners has let it decay?

I saw the plans for this work at the Area Council meeting and welcome most improvement work in our town.

Your post is typical of someone who is not interested in finding out what is really going on and just want to complain about everything the Council do.

Next you will be saying they should not put up 3 new cctv camera's in Ossy or that the Council should not have spent money renovating the pets corner in Rhyddings park.
3 CCTV camera's and renovating the pets corner are worthwhile ventures which benefit the community and serve a specific purpose, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

Does the Co-op car park belong to the council? Or are they talking about sprucing up the 'garden' area around the front of the co-op which is full of overgrown shrubs & weeds? Cutting them back or making the car park more attractive unfortunately won't stop littering. As for the the war memorial although it may improve the aesthetic of the monument an ornate railing won't stop school children from sitting on it eating their lunch and leaving behind their rubbish!

I'm not saying I'm an expert in council matters, but sometimes it seems like the council throw good money after bad. They do have good intentions of improving the town, but unfortunately they cannot change the poor behaviour of those who have no respect for the war memorial or their town's pride by dropping litter.

We know that the Palladium & Fire Station are privately owned but surely either the Buildings Regulator or Environmental Health can take action over derelict buildings?

Sprucing up the town 'paints over the cracks' but isn't a long-term solution.
Old 11-01-2008, 14:39   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkival View Post
We know that the Palladium & Fire Station are privately owned but surely either the Buildings Regulator or Environmental Health can take action over derelict buildings?
The Council do have the powers to make safe derelict buildings, but they seem reluctant to do so. It's just the same with derelict buildings at Church traffic lights.
May be they would take action if some one got hurt by objects falling from these buildings, but then it would be like closing the stable door after the horse had bolted.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 14:48   #7
Senior Member+

Called in at the new booze busters store this afternoon, was well impressed with it, it's clean, well stocked, and the staff were very pleasant.

On the other side of the road just before 'ossy mills' entrance there is a row of what was empty shops that are being refurbished so that to must be a plus for Ossy.
Anyone any idea what the building/shops are going to be used for?

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-01-2008, 15:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381 View Post
Called in at the new booze busters store this afternoon, was well impressed with it, it's clean, well stocked, and the staff were very pleasant.

On the other side of the road just before 'ossy mills' entrance there is a row of what was empty shops that are being refurbished so that to must be a plus for Ossy.
Anyone any idea what the building/shops are going to be used for?
I went in the other day too, the staff were really welcoming - makes a pleasant change!

The shops that are being renovated are linked to Ossy Mills, I think it's going to be the Hothouse section and a coffee shop.
Old 11-01-2008, 15:44   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
The shops that are being renovated are linked to Ossy Mills, I think it's going to be the Hothouse section and a coffee shop.
Thanks for the info, I look forward to them being finished so I can enjoy a coffee in there.

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-01-2008, 16:20   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
I went in the other day too, the staff were really welcoming - makes a pleasant change!

i heard it was going to be the new chemist , and forgot what the other is going to be
Old 11-01-2008, 16:28   #11

There was a sign in the window a few weeks ago with Ossy Mills Logo saying coffee shop & (I think) Hothouse coming soon. Unless they've split it up - one part was the big fancy dress shop & the other a small TV repair shop from memory? I'll have a nosey when I pop down over the weekend.
Old 11-01-2008, 17:35   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
As for the the war memorial although it may improve the aesthetic of the monument an ornate railing won't stop school children from sitting on it eating their lunch and leaving behind their rubbish!
It the railings have spikes on, and presumably a locked gate, it will deter those idiots that desecrate the monument by sitting on it.

I've mentioned on here many times before, my grandfather was killed aged twenty two in Normandy, six months before my mum was born. To her this is the nearest thing she has to a grave for her father, and I applaud the council for this initiative.

Hats off also to Roy and Jean Lockwood, who through the British Legion, are collecting all the names of those from Oswaldtwistle who have died in the various wars, to be inscribed on our war memorial.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 17:41   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Hats off also to Roy and Jean Lockwood, who through the British Legion, are collecting all the names of those from Oswaldtwistle who have died in the various wars, to be inscribed on our war memorial.
Just out of interest, how long have they been doing it and when will they be ready to add the names to it?

They will not be any locked gates on it Gary.
Old 11-01-2008, 17:50   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just out of interest, how long have they been doing it and when will they be ready to add the names to it?

They will not be any locked gates on it Gary.
What are the railings going to look like? I presume they are going to be robust, and tall enough, to stop any passing hedgehogs jumping over them?

I don't know when the names are going on, sorry.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 18:25   #15

Regarding the pruning of trees on the car park opposite Saint Paul's school - I hope the silver birch trees aren't going to be felled - we have few enough trees on Union Road as it is!
ossylass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..