Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2008, 12:58   #31
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

just been in again today, its a red brick building looks very much like a mill roof from inside, asked the guys there, they were not sure,but said they thought it used to be "Cobble" which i assume must be "Singer Cobble"? maybe westender or someone can corroberate?
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2008, 17:03   #32
Passed away 25-11-09
 
West Ender's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just been in again today, its a red brick building looks very much like a mill roof from inside, asked the guys there, they were not sure,but said they thought it used to be "Cobble" which i assume must be "Singer Cobble"? maybe westender or someone can corroberate?
I found this, Cashy, when I googled Cobble. They appear to make carpets but it says Norman Rd. is the guage parts division. It wasn't there 45 years ago


http://www.cobble.co.uk/docs/COB005.pdf





This is the building. It's definitely the old laundry. The blurb says it was sold by Cobble to Winchester Furniture.
__________________
*
Some cinemas let the flying monkeys in............and some don't.

Last edited by West Ender; 15-04-2008 at 17:06.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 17:17   #33
God Member

 
BERNADETTE's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

My brother worked at "Cobble" years ago but it was near Copy Nook. Would there be more than one factory up and running?
__________________
A PERSON WHO MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS WILL ALWAYS BE FULLY EMPLOYED (Cicero)
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 17:41   #34
God Member
 
steeljack's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
My brother worked at "Cobble" years ago but it was near Copy Nook. Would there be more than one factory up and running?
they also had a big factory/works out near Cherry Tree/Witton area , had a reputation as a good company to work for
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 17:51   #35
God Member

 
BERNADETTE's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
they also had a big factory/works out near Cherry Tree/Witton area , had a reputation as a good company to work for
Sounds like they were a big company, my brother worked there for years and if I remember rightly he travelled overseas quite a lot whilst working for them.
__________________
A PERSON WHO MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS WILL ALWAYS BE FULLY EMPLOYED (Cicero)
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 18:00   #36
God Member
 
steeljack's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Sounds like they were a big company, my brother worked there for years and if I remember rightly he travelled overseas quite a lot whilst working for them.
yep , think they made machines for making carpets (tufting equipment ?) , they used to have crews which travelled all over the world doing installation once bumped into a bunch of them in a bar in Isfahan Iran

Last edited by steeljack; 15-04-2008 at 18:00. Reason: spelling
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 18:12   #37
God Member

 
BERNADETTE's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
yep , think they made machines for making carpets (tufting equipment ?) , they used to have crews which travelled all over the world doing installation once bumped into a bunch of them in a bar in Isfahan Iran
You may well have met him then he definetly went to Iran.
__________________
A PERSON WHO MINDS THEIR OWN BUSINESS WILL ALWAYS BE FULLY EMPLOYED (Cicero)
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 19:57   #38
Coffin Dodger.

 
cashman's Avatar
 
Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!
Addiction Solitaire Champion!

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I found this, Cashy, when I googled Cobble. They appear to make carpets but it says Norman Rd. is the guage parts division. It wasn't there 45 years ago


http://www.cobble.co.uk/docs/COB005.pdf





This is the building. It's definitely the old laundry. The blurb says it was sold by Cobble to Winchester Furniture.
ah thats the one, the little black door at the bottom is where you go to acess the upstairs,cheers west ender.
__________________
N.L.T.B.G.Y.D. Do not argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 21:19   #39
Passed away 25-11-09
 
West Ender's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Where that grotty caravan is, in the picture, used to be the end of the row of terraced houses. The long cement-fronted bit, with the door in it, was a big double-doored opening on to a huge room where all the laundry parcels went. Further up the road was another similar room where they had all the clean laundry parcels. Somewhere in the building, I'm not sure where as I never saw it, was a big furnace which heated water in a huge boiler.

They had a horse-drawn van for delivering the parcels, in the 40s, and the driver, who knew my family well, was called Alf. If he saw me waiting at the bus stop at Church Commercial, on the way home from school, he would stop and give me a lift in the van with all the brown paper parcels of laundry. I always felt very proud and very honoured when he dropped me off at my front door.
__________________
*
Some cinemas let the flying monkeys in............and some don't.
West Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 21:53   #40
Junior Member+
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well done on finding that West Ender ... that should keep Ossypete happy too .. not that he has thanked us like for our efforts ....

"was the offices of the ring mill not in the building still standing on norman rd? seem to vaugley remember Fred Dibnah demolished the old chimney, could be wrong on that as well." quote from Cashy.

Well Fred Dibnah demolished most chimneys around here, didn't he Cashy ? (can you imagine what he was like as a little lad !).. don't know the answer to that .. but will ring Winchester tomorrow to ask if their premises are the offices of Stanhill. Doubt it though, if you had read my earlier post....
been checking this post for days after i posted it nothing happens , then suddenly it goes mad !!! i am greatfull for the info , i actually lived on the housing estate where the mill was on turnpike grove. house across road from where i lived was built on the old engine beds. :-)
__________________
int there some funny folk from ere !!
ossypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 22:02   #41
Resting in Peace

 
katex's Avatar
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossypete View Post
been checking this post for days after i posted it nothing happens , then suddenly it goes mad !!! i am greatfull for the info , i actually lived on the housing estate where the mill was on turnpike grove. house across road from where i lived was built on the old engine beds. :-)
Glad we could help Ossypete .. took lots of discussion though .. good thread .. enjoyed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 22:05   #42
Junior Member
 

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Eleven years on, I may be able to add some information. My Dad did the building maintenance at Stanhill Ring mill in the 1970s until it closed; I am pretty sure he was there when the VW Scirocco ad was filmed. My Mum worked in the offices at both Vine Mill, then Stanhill Ring. As a kid I was quite familiar with both mills.
The flat roof of Stanhill Ring mill was designed to hold rainwater. I remember being up on the roof with my Dad and it looked like a series of ponds. If I remember correctly the roof was sealed with tarmacadam, and the water was to stop the tarmac blistering and failing. I think the water was a couple of feet deep.
I worked for a few weeks at Vine Mill when part of it was operated by Bentley&Whitehead; that would have been 1973 or 1974.
Lol Eddleston’s scrap yard; the Ministry making wheelchairs (the source of axles and wheels on all of the trolleys kids in the area had); the TCP aroma from Cocker Chemicals; ...
andrewparkeruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.35569 seconds with 11 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1