Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 20:41   #1
Junior Member+

Stanhill ring spinning mill

has anyone any good information on this ie pictures etc i have seen the ones on here but wondered if anyone had any tucked away anywhere. Always been interested in it as i remember it vaguely as a kid.Can anyone tell me anything.Was it steam powered ?? what happened to the engine if it was ??
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Stanhill ring spinning mill

Hi Ossypete .. just got this from the Chairman of the company I have just retired from .. not answering all your queries, but hope it is useful.

(Have had to type it out sorry .. couldn't just 'slice' the bit out I wanted LOL)

'Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill

Built 1907 by the Stanhill Ring Spinning Co., a local public company promoted by A.S. Bury, John Barlow, William Moulding and others.

72,000 Howard and Bullough ring spindles producing 16/62s American yarns in 1920. 500 operatives. The mill was powered by a 1860 hp high and low pressure horizontal cross compound engine, self condensing by Yates & Thom, 48 rope drive, and four Lancashire boilers by the same maker.

By the 1930's 87,000 ring spindles were operating at the mill. Following the Second World war, the mill was taken over by English Sewing Cotton Limited, a company which subsequently became English Calico and finally part of the Tootal Group. The factory was extensively re-equipped in the mid-1950's.

Closure was announced during early 1980 and, at the time of writing (June 1980), the mill has just ceased production.

Building

Large four storey machine brick spinning mill with stone string course pilasters, decorative motifs and semi-circular pediments above window openings. Centre projection on north face is inscribed 'Stanhill Ring Spinning Co'. Latrine turrets at east and west gables. Large two storey engine house with adjoining yard. Single storey office with elaborate stone pediment over former main door, window surround has date of 1907. A range of one storey loading bays, etc., flank the north face of the mill. The settlement of terraced houses in Percy, Tower and Newton Streets developed following the erection of the mill. Spread Eagle Street predates the factory. '

I used to love going in Stanhill and other spinning mills ..the floor was just like a ballroom.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 13:39   #3

Is Spread Eagle Street still standing. My parents respective families lived at 5 and 7 Spreadeagle Street in 1921 - the names were Dean and Davies. Is the Mill still there and is there by any chance a pub called The Spread Eagle? I have never been to Oswaldtwistle but plan to visit this year!!! Better late than never ......... Is the Church of St. Oswalds still there?
Sue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 20:30   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Spread Eagle St was still there last time I drove through West End but I believe the mill has gone. There once was a pub called the Spread Eagle but it was gone long before I was born in 1943.
Old 12-04-2008, 23:02   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the old stanhill ring mill still stands, its now a leather suite supplier, we just recently visited n bought one. top quality gear also.
Old 13-04-2008, 22:16   #6
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the old stanhill ring mill still stands, its now a leather suite supplier, we just recently visited n bought one. top quality gear also.

That's puzzling as the chimney wasn't there last time I passed and Google Earth shows 3 streets, one of them called Fountains Way, right where the mill used to be.
Old 13-04-2008, 22:29   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
That's puzzling as the chimney wasn't there last time I passed and Google Earth shows 3 streets, one of them called Fountains Way, right where the mill used to be.
Probably pulled a big part of it down but will find out for sure, my sister lives just further up Blackburn Road.
Old 13-04-2008, 22:40   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Probably pulled a big part of it down but will find out for sure, my sister lives just further up Blackburn Road.
Do you think Cashy is confused with B.M. Furniture which is domiciled in Vine Mill ?

Stanhill Mill was demolished. (or could be just part Bernie ? .. )
Old 13-04-2008, 22:42   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Do you think Cashy is confused with B.M. Furniture which is domiciled in Vine Mill ?

cashy is not confused was in the damn thing with paris 3 times before we purchased, so it aint all gone.

Last edited by cashman; 13-04-2008 at 22:45.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 22:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

I thought it had gone but as I'm not sure thought I would find out.
Old 13-04-2008, 22:55   #11
God Member

I'm, confused now , I allways thought Stanhill mill was the big red brick building at west end in Ossy up Spread Eagle st. and Percy st. area, which was the Vine mill? names familar but can't place it
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 22:56   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm, confused now , I allways thought Stanhill mill was the big red brick building at west end in Ossy up Spread Eagle st. and Percy st. area, which was the Vine mill? names familar but can't place it
Vines way up Union Rd john, sells crap suites.
Old 13-04-2008, 23:05   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Vines way up Union Rd john, sells crap suites.
is that the one "up back o johns" on way to Cocker Chemicals ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 23:08   #14
Resting in Peace

You could be correct Cashy and that they did leave a small part of it standing. Must admit that I have not been up those streets for a long time, just that this threw me a little and Google Earth too :-

'However, it is clear that Henry Holt made several visits to some big demolition sites photographing them and adding numerous bricks to his collection in the process. Stanhill Ring Mill at Oswaldtwistle, Mill Lane Spinning Co. at Leigh, and Broadfield School at Rochdale are just three examples of a substantial number of demolitions which Henry recorded at some length. '

Some guy that collects bricks.
Old 13-04-2008, 23:13   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
is that the one "up back o johns" on way to Cocker Chemicals ?
its up past the Black Dog on down the dip n off to yer left.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..